The Chinese in Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chinese in Hawai'i

For anyone interested in learning more about the Chinese immigration to Hawai'i and the success that they have had in later years in Hawai'i, there will be a free showing of the documentary "Finding Sandalwood Mountain" on Feb. 24 at the First Chinese Church of Christ on S. King St.

Viewers are introduced to such prominent Chinese individuals as businessman Chun Ah Fong; 'Iolani-educated political leader Sun Yat-Sen, often referred to as the father of modern China; and the first Asian-American U.S. senator, Hiram Fong, in some of his last interviews.
    ...Where Chinese on the U.S. mainland in the early 19th century were subject to exclusion laws that essentially left them enslaved, Hawaii's Chinese population had the freedom to start businesses and buy land.

"There's something about the Chinese experience that's indicative of Chinese culture. There's a tremendous survival ethic, a tremendous work ethic, not just to work for themselves, but to take care of future generations."
    Although the showing is free, you do have to call 593-9046 to reserve a ticket.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: The Chinese in Hawai'i

The Chinese are the hardest working people I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
    X