442 Regimental Combat Team and 100th Battalion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 442 Regimental Combat Team and 100th Battalion

Hi I was surprised that Japanese people fought on the US side during WWII! Did any one here fight against Japan? How you feelings fighted your own homeland in Japan? Did some take off US uniform when it getting dangerous saying they are just a farmer or whatever, and give away enemy positions?

Re: 442 Regimental Combat Team and 100th Battalion

Originally posted by ewatada View Post
    Hi I was surprised that Japanese people fought on the US side during WWII! Did any one here fight against Japan? How you feelings fighted your own homeland in Japan? Did some take off US uniform when it getting dangerous saying they are just a farmer or whatever, and give away enemy positions?
    My father fought in WW2, along with many other Nisei from Hawai'i. But the Nisei were not sent to fight the Japanese in the Pacific, they were sent to the European theater (France and Italy), so they didn't fight against the your side. The only Nisei who were sent to the Asian front were translators and military people involved with intelligence (spying). The Nisei were determined to prove that they were American first, that's why so many signed up to be part of the 442nd. Nisei were born in America, so they were American citizens, not Japanese citizens, and their loyalty was to the American flag.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

While many Japanese-American families who participated in WWII on the American side are extremely proud, my family was an exception. My grandparents did not want any of their children joining the military, in order to "prove" their loyalty to America. My Oba-chan (grandmother) questioned why it was necessary to sacrifice one's life in order to prove loyalty to a specific country. She said our family felt loyalty to both countries--Japan and America, but also felt just as much loyalty to Hawaii.

At the same time, she also found it disagreeable that the US government solicited Japanese-American soldiers, while at the same time imprisoning over 100,000 Japanese-Americans (most of them legal, US citizens, by the way) in the interment camps on the mainland. "Oba-chan, kakko ii!" Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
        While many Japanese-American families who participated in WWII on the American side are extremely proud, my family was an exception. My grandparents did not want any of their children joining the military, in order to "prove" their loyalty to America. My Oba-chan (grandmother) questioned why it was necessary to sacrifice one's life in order to prove loyalty to a specific country. She said our family felt loyalty to both countries--Japan and America, but also felt just as much loyalty to Hawaii.

At the same time, she also found it disagreeable that the US government solicited Japanese-American soldiers, while at the same time imprisoning over 100,000 Japanese-Americans (most of them legal, US citizens, by the way) in the interment camps on the mainland. "Oba-chan, kakko ii!" Aloha.
        WTG, Obachan! Did you know there was an internment camp on Oahu during WW2 too?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          WTG, Obachan! Did you know there was an internment camp on Oahu during WW2 too?

Miulang
          That's crazy! I DID NOT know that. Thanks and aloha.

Comment

A now retired history teacher told our class how her family was taken to Sand Island and then kept really dirty and crowded conditions. Her brother got ill and died there.

Comment

Wow, so sorry to hear that. I wonder how the government decided which Japanese would be imprisoned, because my family somehow got out of it on Oahu.

Comment

I heard the parallel between Hamamatsu workers of Nikkeijin who are Brazil nationality and no Japanese nationality, and the 442nd RCT are similar. The Brazilian Nikkeijin doing unskilled labour in Japan, and fight systemic discrimination being treated as foreigners in their own home country. (somw have Japanese nationality but their behavior not fully Japanese so they are thinked they are foreign.

I also hear 442nd RCT was like American Foriegn Legion. Upon war ending Roosevelt Aministration saying they fight two wars and giving recognition their loyalty. The Brazilan nikkeijin was selling the red bull in Shizuoka ken and selling logo "Go For Broke" to wear on their uniform for the sentiment of having Espirit de Corps to work together as Brazilian Nikkeijin.

I was confusing why American and Brazilian nikkeijin had connection this way? Or is it just money making thing in Shizoka?

I am wondering if anyone thinks that this Purple heart Battalion deserved to be considered marines?
                Last edited by ewatada; February 11, 2007, 04:01 PM.

Comment

What most Americans don't realize is that besides the internment of Japanese American Issei and Nisei in US camps in WW2, more than 2,000 Japanese citizens residing in Latin America were also kidnapped and interned in the United States. The War Dept's intent was to use these internees as hostages to be used in trade for the release of American war prisoners captured by Japan.

Sen. Dan Inouye is working on a bill to give reparations to the relatives Japanese families from South America who also ended up in the internment camps in the United States.

It was bad enough that American citizens of Japanese ancestry were imprisoned, but we had the arrogance to snatch NON-American Japanese residing in Latin America and stick them in internment camps, too! The worst part of it all was that after the war was over, the Latin American Japanese were kicked out of the United States and not compensated for their losses. The reparation bill is meant to address those injustices.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; February 11, 2007, 07:04 PM.

Comment

What kind of reparations? Granting US citizenship? Many of them would like this, I think. I like to get one too. I hear that age 22, if I do, I must give up being Japanese. Is this true? Or is this just for nissei? Because I am issei, am I okay having dual citizenship?

Comment

What kind of reparations? Granting US citizenship? Many of them would like this, I think. I like to get one too. I hear that age 22, if I do, I must give up being Japanese. Is this true? Or is this just for nissei? Because I am issei, am I okay having dual citizenship?
                      The bill is asking for monetary repayment (but only about $2,000 per person, which isn't very much considering the suffering and sacrifice) but not automatic American citizenship. The only way you could get dual citizenship in the US is if you were born in America to foreign national parents. Anybody who is born in America, regardless of what the citizenship of the parents, is considered an American citizen. The only other way to become an American citizen without taking the citizenship test is if you volunteer to join the US military. The Army is so desperate for soldiers that they have been known to grant citizenship to soldiers after they have served in the Army.

If you are Issei and you want to become an American, you do have to give up your Japanese citizenship.

Miulang

Comment

Did some take off US uniform when it getting dangerous saying they are just a farmer or whatever, and give away enemy positions?
                        I would like to preface by saying: How dare you mock the integrity of the 442nd/100 battalion by even thinking that they would disgrace the US Army uniform and be called a traitor! They were the most decorated unit in the US Army for bravery. What made the Nisei become soldiers in the US Army was one of pride and honor to their country, the United States of America.

My grandfather (Issei immigrated from Japan) was so distraught that his homeland was bombing Hawaii where so many nationals were living. Many Issei felt a strong feeling of abandonment from Hirohito that they swore their allegiance to the United States of America. I had two uncles (one from my Mom's side and the other from my Dad's side) that served in the 442nd/100 Battallion or Club 100 as they are known. My uncle Paul is still alive but my uncle Tsuneo died several years ago.

One of the more popular Club 100 member is of course our beloved Senator Inouye. It is for that reason I believe is why Hawaii is such a democratic state. Many Nisei felt compelled to support Inouye because he represented what Japanese Americans felt, frustrated yet willing to prove their allegiance to America.

Many Nisei Japanese living here vote loyally (and blindly sometimes) voting for democrats because of Inouye's participation. Same reason why the typical car of the Nisei is the Toyota Camry.

My father, my older brother and myself are all US Veterans. We joined the military (even my brother who could have been drafted into the Vietnam war, volunteered for service to his country) to show our patriotism to America and our loyalty to my grandfather.

My third oldest boy just came back from Honolulu after passing the physical exam for entrance into the US Marines. The patriotism of latter Japanese Americans live on thru our children.

Now everyone knows now why I as a Sansei born and raised here in Hawaii still has this distaste of being labelled Japanese when I never been there and quite honestly don't have any allegience towards. My grandfather felt betrayed when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. I live for his honor.
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 12, 2007, 11:14 AM.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          I would like to preface by saying: How dare you mock the integrity of the 442nd/100 battalion by even thinking that they would disgrace the US Army uniform and be called a traitor! They were the most decorated unit in the US Army for bravery. What made the Nisei become soldiers in the US Army was one of pride and honor to their country, the United States of America.
                          I don't believe Watada-san (Einosuke, not Ehren, in case there is any confusion) is mocking anyone; as a 15-year-old student in Japan, I believe the question is motivated by honest curiosity, not a desire to impugn anyone's bravery.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            I don't believe Watada-san (Einosuke, not Ehren, in case there is any confusion) is mocking anyone; as a 15-year-old student in Japan, I believe the question is motivated by honest curiosity, not a desire to impugn anyone's bravery.
                            Then before making such a derogatory statement he should should have asked the more appropriate question, how loyal to America were those who fought against their motherland?

To even beg that question is a slap in the face to the many who served, lived to tell and those that died in the all volunteer US Military.

It's almost as bad as asking, "were there any panty-assed Samurai?" If there were then they deserved to die dishonorably. Honor is a high distinction for those of us Japanese ancestry. You don't ask how proud or honorous a person is without getting that person all upset.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Based on previous postings, I would suspect that English is not Watada-san's first language, and should perhaps be given a little slack in how questions are phrased; this is an opportunity to educate.

At the same time, Craig, thank you for sharing a little more of your own story - your family pride is well-earned and deserving of much respect.

Comment

Working...
                              X