Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with autistic children

Anyone else besides me?

I work with one, who is fully functional. He'll interact with me, but not his peers. I try to discourage him from thinking in his world (which is usually set in a movie or cartoon that he recently saw) by working on homework, playing sports, etc., but everything seems to last a few minutes. How can I increase his attention and focus to stay in the "normal" world?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Working with autistic children

Anyone knows why autistic kids love watching "Ed, Edd, and Eddie"? I've known a few autistic kids who do not have contact with each other, and they all love that TV show.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I have some limited experience with Autism. I haven't worked with any Autistic children in about 5 years.
      Have you tried some of the website tips? That is what I used to use.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

New study being released says it appears that autism is more common than previously thought (it affects about 1:150 kids). Most autistic kids are diagnosed by the time they go to school because the disease prevents them from interacting appropriately in school.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

CBS 60 Minutes program this Sunday (Feb. 18) will have a segment on the research being done to try to detect autism at an earlier age than before. There is some concern about earlier diagnosis because scientists now believe that 1 in 150 children have the condition.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I am looking for my aunty, her name is JACKIE LOWE, her son is a autistic artist. anyone know her? PM ME. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              Anyone else besides me?

I work with one, who is fully functional. He'll interact with me, but not his peers. I try to discourage him from thinking in his world (which is usually set in a movie or cartoon that he recently saw) by working on homework, playing sports, etc., but everything seems to last a few minutes. How can I increase his attention and focus to stay in the "normal" world?
              I worked in an orphanage for about a year. The experience has taught me a lot but I am certainly not a professional. I did learn to admire anyone willing and emotionally strong enough to work with children with disabilities. I also learned not to mess with kids when they're watching their favorite cartoons Seriously, he's learning while watching Edd Ed 'n Eddy and I wouldn't discourage it. I suggest looking up some teaching tools - depending on the boy's age. Varying one's tone of voice, pitch etc. sometimes helps. Organizing homework in boxes etc. is another trick. I do know that the fact that you care and are willing to help is one of your strongest tools.
              Last edited by reineke; March 10, 2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X