R.I.P. to a legend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. to a legend

An old friend and classmate of mine lost his father (whom I also knew very well) today, according to a lead news story on MSN and Fox sports at this link, where you can read much more than just these excerpts here (with a couple of my comments in italics):

"Eddie Feigner, the hard-throwing softball showman who barnstormed for more than 50 years with "The King and His Court" four-man team, died Friday. He was 81.
    "Feigner, known for his trademark crewcut and bulging right arm, died in Huntsville, Ala., from a respiratory ailment, longtime friend and teammate Jack Knight said.
    With a fastball once clocked at 104 mph, Feigner threw 930 no-hitters, 238 perfect games and struck out 141,517 batters while playing more than 10,000games."
    (Not sure why they didn't make clear that that astounding record was his four-man team -- himself pitching, plus a catcher, first-baseman, and a shortstop -- playing any professional 7- or 9-man team!)
    "He was inducted into the National Senior Softball Hall of Fame in 2000."
    (...)
    "A stroke in 2000 — a day after he threw out the first pitch before the women's softball competition in the Sydney Olympics — ended his playing career at age 75. He left the team for medical reasons last summer" (...)
    "Feigner not only pitched from the standard mound, 46 feet from home plate, but also from second base, behind his back, on his knees, between his legs, from center field and blindfolded. In a nationally televised exhibition against major leaguers at Dodger Stadium in 1964, he struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Maury Wills, Harmon Killebrew, Roberto Clemente and Brooks Robinson in order."
    (I'll also add that he did countless exhibitions around the globe, and offered a $100 bill to anyone who could even touch one of his pitches, even if they fouled it off or whatever.)
    (...)
    "At the height of Feigner's popularity, the team played at major league ballparks, including Yankee Stadium, and Feigner appeared on numerous national television shows, including "The Today Show," "I've Got a Secret," "What's My Line?" and the "CBS Sports Spectacular."
    (Not sure why they didn't mention that he'd been featured on ABC's "Wide World Of Sports" many many times.)
    (...)
    "Feigner is survived by wife Anne Marie; son Eddie Jr., who played with the team for 25 years; daughters Shirley, Carol and Debbie; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Services are pending."

R.I.P., Eddie.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P. to a legend

I watched the king and his court play an exhibition in my home town in the early seventies. It was truly amazing! I enjoyed it so much. Very entertaining! The world has lost a great showman.

Comment

Re: R.I.P. to a legend

Glad you got to see him play, Tim.
      I see that a whole lot of folks read this thread, and I hope we turned them on to an athlete who totally dominated his sport more than any athlete has in any sport.
      There were some amazing -- no, mind boggling -- statistics in that first post. And I forgot to mention that Eddie Feigner was also an exceptional batter. He'd always use a bat that was just half size, and would still smash balls into the ozone almost every time at bat.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
      X