key bumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• key bumping

Wow I just saw a video on ways to pick door locks using a modified key (very simple to make it seems).

It's called key bumping and the amazing part about it is it's way too easy to make a bump key

I would think the best deterrant would be to invest in a good shock sensor like those found on car alarms and when arming the system anytime the doorknob is hit with a bump key, it would set off the alarm.

Come to think of it a basic car alarm with shock sensors and a remote would make for a great home alarm system.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: key bumping

I have seen that video too. I think there are a few types of locks that are "bump-proof" but they are more expensive. Are we depending on our local locksmiths to keep bump keys out of the hands of the bad guys? Or can you make one with just a blank and a key cutter?

Comment

all it takes is a blank key and a file, though a key cutter would probably help.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13949300140850
      808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
      kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
      http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

I actually made one for a customer. At the time I didn't know it was a bump key but he told me it was a master key that can open any Schlage lock. So I took an Access #68 key blank and ran it through our key cutting machine at all 9's and apparently it worked cuz he came by the next week telling me it did.

Interesting concept and as one who rekeys locks practically everyday (I can rekey a Schlage or Kwikset doorlock/deadbolt in 3-minutes) I find it amazing that you can get all five (six for high security locks) lower pins to jump at the same time to clear the cylinder bore.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

My dad taught me how to pick locks when I was a kid. Fairly simple principle. And the basic tools can be made from old hacksaw blades.

Along the way I've helped people get back into their offices, file cabinets and cars. Honest.

With the right tools it's even easier. Here's one that uses a modified electric flossing gadget: http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/l.../lockpick.aspx

One of the better defenses against locks being picked is a Remington security lock. Comes in 20 and 12 gauge. Discourages most would-be thieves when the slide-action is racked loudly.... :-)

Oh, but you have to be present to win.

Comment

Yup, that's the key--so to speak..cut it to all "nines"

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              I actually made one for a customer.
              And this man is mean with the key machine.

Comment

Working...
              X