PDA

View Full Version : Women of HT: A Crossword Puzzle / Valentine

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hello, Fellow HTers. I neither celebrate nor acknowledge Valentine's Day, but the date was a good excuse to try something I've wanted to do for a long time: Create my own crossword puzzle. Thanks to a terrific gift by an HTer who shall remain anonymous, I was able to put this together.

It violates two rules of crosswords. First, there are two two-letter words. Two-letter words are a no-no in the world of crosswording. Second, I think I went over the allowable number of black squares by more than a few; I need to check on that, but I'm quite sure I went over.

Still, I'm pleased with this first effort and would like to share it.

I really wanted to save this in one file and make it look just like the crosswords printed in the papers, but this was going to take longer than I wanted to spend, so here (http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/crosswordht001.pdf) is the downloadable PDF of the puzzle itself, and here (http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/crosswordht001clues.pdf) is the downloadable PDF of the clues list. Also, if you don't have a printer and would like to work the thing in Excel, here (http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/crosswordht001.xls) is an Excel file. Note that when you fill the words in, you'll lose the clue numbers, so I pasted a copy of the puzzle right next to itself. You can use one as the reference and one as the working puzzle. If you'd like to collaborate with someone, I'll bet you could copy the Excel puzzle to a Google spreadsheet and work on it with others, but I haven't tried that yet myself.

Finally, a few disclaimers. If you're not an experienced crossword solver, some of the clues will by really tough, because there's a certain way clues are worded that sorta reveal the form of the answer. Please don't be discouraged, and feel free to PM me (or anyone else) for a clue. I'm happy to give nudges and clues to anyone who asks.

Also, don't be offended if you are a Woman of HT and were not included in the puzzle! I tried to get a lot of you in there, but you can imagine how difficult that was! And...if you're a GUY and made it into the puzzle, it doesn't mean I think you're a woman! You just conveniently fit, so I stuck you in.

What I like about this puzzle is that there's just NO WAY someone unfamiliar with HT could ever finish it. Many of the answers can be found in HT itself; others require you to have some other knowledge, of course.

I checked and double-checked the clues and their corresponding spaces in the puzzle, but I have a nagging feeling there's an error somewhere. If you suspect I made a mistake somewhere, please let me know!

For those of you who wish only to see the answers, I'm going to wait until someone has completed the whole puzzle and then post a link.

I welcome any comments, criticisms, and snide remarks! Have fun!

http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/crosswordht001.jpg

http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/crosswordht001clues.jpg

lavagal
February 13th, 2007, 08:19 PM
saved and printed, got my clipboard. The perfect little end-of-the-day activity!
Thanks, Scriv! Hope I can figure it out!

CranBeree
February 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
thanks scriv!

*whee* i love crosswords!! much much better than sudoku!
:p

CranBeree
February 13th, 2007, 08:42 PM
*note

there are 2 47 across.. should read 48.

no 18,21, 24 down.

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM
argh!
I'll fix it.
Now.

If you got the original files (before I made the correction):
The second given clue for 47 across is for 48 across.
The clue given for 22 down is for 21 down.
The clue given for 23 down is for 22 down.
The clue given for 25 down is for 24 down.

ARGH. Thanks, Cran. That's what I get for not putting you in!

Thank goodness the only errors are (so far) in the clues list, and not in the puzzle itself.

AbsolutChaos
February 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
There's a 19 down clue but no 19 down on the puzzle?

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
What? Argh. Okay, let me fix that. The 19 Down clue is for 18 down. Argh. Thank you.

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Okie Dokie. I wondered why I was having a certain problem when I made the clues list.

If you downloaded the files before this post went up, you got bad files. I have since corrected them, and the ones you now see in the original post should be okay. Until I'm informed of another error.

This is why I hate Valentines. They never go exactly as you want them to.

Doggone it. I just noticed another problem with 25 and 26...or something in that area. I'm fixing it now.

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Okay. NOW I think it should be okay. Sheesh.

lavagal
February 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Okay. NOW I think it should be okay. Sheesh.

well, I was sort of figuring out where things were going as I went along, Scriv, so don't sweat it.
And thanks for doing this. What a sweet Valentine in and of itself!

Gee, you could do this someday...for someone you want to propose to! Oh man, she has to be PERFECT for you to be worth the effort.

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Gee, you could do this someday...for someone you want to propose to! Oh man, she has to be PERFECT for you to be worth the effort.
I did it for you. So how about it? :)

Hm... "perfect for me to be worth the effort" reads two ways. (Perfect for me) to be worth the effort, or Perfect (for me to be worth the effort).

CranBeree
February 13th, 2007, 09:10 PM
cant get 33 and 34 and 35 across!

if i had those, i would be sleeping already!! arrgghH!!!

Mike_Lowery
February 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm honored. check my location.

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM
cant get 33 and 34 and 35 across!
if i had those, i would be sleeping already!! arrgghH!!!
That's what I want to hear. "Scrivener kept me up all night..."

AbsolutChaos
February 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Is the clue for 27 down supposed to be something else?

CranBeree
February 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
LOL! :D

oh goodness...that made me squirt.....

juice out of my noise that is..... :p

CranBeree
February 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM

there's no 27 down??

scrivener
February 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Yes, sorry. That was one of those last fixes. The clues as they appear now in the first post are correct, I believe. The original 27 down clue is now the clue for 26 down.

CranBeree
February 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
can i get a hint for 33,34 & 35 across????? :p

pzarquon
February 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Wow. This is fantastic. I bet the whole thing is solved by the time I wake up tomorrow morning. Great work, Scriv. Once again, a creative, clever, and wholly delicious PāĎani for HT.

LikaNui
February 14th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I'm honored. check my location. Love your location!
And Scriv -- great idea, great job! Just now saw it (meetings last night) and looking forward to trying it out.

lavagal
February 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM
For the record, I'm not getting this 100% and I know nothing about NBA past, present or future except that years ago I was in a Shorebird bikini contest and Wilt Chamberlain was one of the judges. I don't even think the hotel it was in is still standing, LOL. It was an adorable bikini. Alas, real boobs never win, LOL!

Lei Liko
February 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm absolutely addicted to crosswords!

I'm honored to actually be in one!

Thanks, scriv! :D

Pua'i Mana'o
February 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
for those of us who are now clicking on this and wanting to d/l the file to play on, do I also need to pay attention to all the other posts here on this thread for the missing clues/cues and such?

And a big smack on Scrivvie's monitor for such a thoughtful valentine! How apropo, considering the number of literate broads who loiter 'round these parts...

lavagal
February 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM
for those of us who are now clicking on this and wanting to d/l the file to play on, do I also need to pay attention to all the other posts here on this thread for the missing clues/cues and such?

And a big smack on Scrivvie's monitor for such a thoughtful valentine! How apropo, considering the number of literate broads who loiter 'round these parts...

Pua'i --there were some corrections made, but I think Scriv updated the file and it's right...but it was really manini, if you couldn't find 19 down, then it was just the next one. Nothing any of us smart-assed broads couldn't figure out.

scrivener
February 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
All the downloadable files should be right. When would be a good time to post the solution, do you think?

lavagal
February 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM
How about 24 hours after you first posted it?

Leo Lakio
February 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Augh! Only one stumper left (well, three, considering...)
Thanks, Scrivener. I printed this out at work, then brought it home to work on tonight - and didn't see myself in it until late in the game!

scrivener
February 14th, 2007, 08:36 PM
It was an adorable bikini.
I'm afraid we're going to need photographic evidence.

lavagal
February 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM
I'm afraid we're going to need photographic evidence.

Doubt I could muster up a 24-year-old photo. And a reenactment will not materialize!

Leo Lakio
February 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Solution? Any time.

scrivener
February 18th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Funny. I didn't know Leo's post was a request for the solution; I thought it was some kind of weird response to Lavagal's post just above it. Hahaha.

Okay, puzzlers and voyeurs. Here's the solution. Please feel free to ask about anything that baffles you. You can also download the PDF of the solution here (http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/crosswordht001solution.pdf).

http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/crosswordht001solution.jpg

I was reminded recently of another no-no I committed in the creation of this puzzle: bodily functions are taboo because many people do the crosswords with their meals! Thus, "take a _____ (urinate)" would certainly have been flagged as a clue by some editor somewhere.

Hope you all enjoyed it. I had so much fun with it that you can probably expect another. Someday.

lavagal
February 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Scriv, I was really flattered to be included, and wish I had all the right neurons to figure the WHOLE thing out! Looking forward to the next challenge, whatever it may be. I've got two little girls trying to scare supper out of me. I better get to it!

Miulang
February 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM
As Lavagal said, many mahalos for giving us this gift, Scriv. I had to wait until you published the answers before I could complete this puzzle (I was missing 3 of them)!:o

Miulang