Women of HT: A Crossword Puzzle / Valentine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women of HT: A Crossword Puzzle / Valentine

Hello, Fellow HTers. I neither celebrate nor acknowledge Valentine's Day, but the date was a good excuse to try something I've wanted to do for a long time: Create my own crossword puzzle. Thanks to a terrific gift by an HTer who shall remain anonymous, I was able to put this together.

It violates two rules of crosswords. First, there are two two-letter words. Two-letter words are a no-no in the world of crosswording. Second, I think I went over the allowable number of black squares by more than a few; I need to check on that, but I'm quite sure I went over.

Still, I'm pleased with this first effort and would like to share it.

I really wanted to save this in one file and make it look just like the crosswords printed in the papers, but this was going to take longer than I wanted to spend, so here is the downloadable PDF of the puzzle itself, and here is the downloadable PDF of the clues list. Also, if you don't have a printer and would like to work the thing in Excel, here is an Excel file. Note that when you fill the words in, you'll lose the clue numbers, so I pasted a copy of the puzzle right next to itself. You can use one as the reference and one as the working puzzle. If you'd like to collaborate with someone, I'll bet you could copy the Excel puzzle to a Google spreadsheet and work on it with others, but I haven't tried that yet myself.

Finally, a few disclaimers. If you're not an experienced crossword solver, some of the clues will by really tough, because there's a certain way clues are worded that sorta reveal the form of the answer. Please don't be discouraged, and feel free to PM me (or anyone else) for a clue. I'm happy to give nudges and clues to anyone who asks.

Also, don't be offended if you are a Woman of HT and were not included in the puzzle! I tried to get a lot of you in there, but you can imagine how difficult that was! And...if you're a GUY and made it into the puzzle, it doesn't mean I think you're a woman! You just conveniently fit, so I stuck you in.

What I like about this puzzle is that there's just NO WAY someone unfamiliar with HT could ever finish it. Many of the answers can be found in HT itself; others require you to have some other knowledge, of course.

I checked and double-checked the clues and their corresponding spaces in the puzzle, but I have a nagging feeling there's an error somewhere. If you suspect I made a mistake somewhere, please let me know!

For those of you who wish only to see the answers, I'm going to wait until someone has completed the whole puzzle and then post a link.

I welcome any comments, criticisms, and snide remarks! Have fun!

Last edited by scrivener; February 13, 2007, 08:16 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Women of HT: A Crossword Puzzle / Valentine

saved and printed, got my clipboard. The perfect little end-of-the-day activity!
    Thanks, Scriv! Hope I can figure it out!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

thanks scriv!

*whee* i love crosswords!! much much better than sudoku!

Comment

*note

there are 2 47 across.. should read 48.

no 18,21, 24 down.
        Last edited by CranBeree; February 13, 2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

argh!
          I'll fix it.
          Now.

If you got the original files (before I made the correction):
          The second given clue for 47 across is for 48 across.
          The clue given for 22 down is for 21 down.
          The clue given for 23 down is for 22 down.
          The clue given for 25 down is for 24 down.

ARGH. Thanks, Cran. That's what I get for not putting you in!

Thank goodness the only errors are (so far) in the clues list, and not in the puzzle itself.
          Last edited by scrivener; February 13, 2007, 08:48 PM.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There's a 19 down clue but no 19 down on the puzzle?

Comment

What? Argh. Okay, let me fix that. The 19 Down clue is for 18 down. Argh. Thank you.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Okie Dokie. I wondered why I was having a certain problem when I made the clues list.

If you downloaded the files before this post went up, you got bad files. I have since corrected them, and the ones you now see in the original post should be okay. Until I'm informed of another error.

This is why I hate Valentines. They never go exactly as you want them to.

Doggone it. I just noticed another problem with 25 and 26...or something in that area. I'm fixing it now.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Okay. NOW I think it should be okay. Sheesh.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Okay. NOW I think it should be okay. Sheesh.
                    well, I was sort of figuring out where things were going as I went along, Scriv, so don't sweat it.
                    And thanks for doing this. What a sweet Valentine in and of itself!

Gee, you could do this someday...for someone you want to propose to! Oh man, she has to be PERFECT for you to be worth the effort.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                      Gee, you could do this someday...for someone you want to propose to! Oh man, she has to be PERFECT for you to be worth the effort.
                      I did it for you. So how about it?

Hm... "perfect for me to be worth the effort" reads two ways. (Perfect for me) to be worth the effort, or Perfect (for me to be worth the effort).
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

cant get 33 and 34 and 35 across!

if i had those, i would be sleeping already!! arrgghH!!!

Comment

I'm honored. check my location.
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                            cant get 33 and 34 and 35 across!
                            if i had those, i would be sleeping already!! arrgghH!!!
                            That's what I want to hear. "Scrivener kept me up all night..."
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Is the clue for 27 down supposed to be something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X