Salmonella traced to peanut butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmonella traced to peanut butter

If you or your kids eat Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter, you should check the top of the jar lid to see if it came from a batch with a number starting with 2111. There have been more than 300 people sickened by the disease across the country since last August.

Lids of jars produced by ConAgra Foods with a product code beginning "2111" can be returned to the company for a refund, the company said.

The salmonella outbreak, which federal health officials said Wednesday has sickened 288 people in 39 states since August, was linked to tainted peanut butter produced by ConAgra at a plant in Sylvester, Ga. How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation, said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Salmonella traced to peanut butter

A colleague of mine found a jar from this lot in his house, so please, please, please do check. Reports that this is limited to the southeast are incorrect. He said he purchased his at the Pearl Harbor Navy Commissary (I think), so especially if you shop there...
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This outbreak dates back 6 months? Oh Lordie...

Comment

According to this KITV story, some of the bad peanut butter was purchased at Hawai'i Kai Foodland. Some people may have consumed some of the bad peanut butter and suffered gastrointestinal complaints.

Salmonella is a fairly benign disease for healthy individuals, but could cause serious complications for the elderly and for young children.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; February 16, 2007, 02:08 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I am so glad I hate peanut butter.

Haven't eaten that crap for years now.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Look on the bright side...now we know Great Value is Peter Pan and is probably cheaper. Remember...same batch code so it's the same product.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Look on the bright side...now we know Great Value is Peter Pan and is probably cheaper. Remember...same batch code so it's the same product.
              That's a very good point.
              "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Working...
              X