Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is happening to our athletic programs?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is happening to our athletic programs?????

Little disturbing to me that I should see this 'Breaking News' headline in today's Honolulu Advertiser:
    "Kealakehe soccer coaches suspended from state event" Here's the link to the article.....
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...715960283.html

And just yesterday Keith Amemiya commented on another 'incident' between Aiea HS and Thompson Academy's basketball teams....
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...702140369.html

What's going on in our schools?

Thoughts??????? Anybody???????

Re: What is happening to our athletic programs?????

It's sad that teachers and coaches, who are expected to be role models for the kids under their supervision, act out like the very kids they're supposed to be role models for! In some cases, the kids may be even more mature than their coaches are.

I always thought that the reason kids get involved in team sports is to learn about being team members, how to obey rules, and how to handle disappointments in a mature fashion. Coaches acting all huhu in front of the referees shows disrespect for the referees. Yeah, sometimes they make bad judgement calls, but they're not perfect, either. So if the kids see the coaches acting immaturely, they think it's OK to act that way, too.

If school coaches don't monitor their own behaviors, before long, there won't be organized sports activities in any of the schools, or more teams will lose games by default because of misconduct on the part of coaches and players.

The case of Thompson Academy is a little different because the ineligibility apparently was caused by some sort of communication problem between the coach and the school administration. But the league was justified in disqualifying Thompson Academy for not following the rules.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X