Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspiring UH Grad Student

Hello everyone!

Being new to the Threads, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Justin and I'm currently teaching English in Japan. I'm originally from Michigan with an International Studies degree (Anthro cognate, E. Asian Studies Specialization) from MSU. My wife is a Japanese national. Right now we're trying to save up money to make the move to Hawaii in a couple years. I plan on getting a Masters in (East Asian) Religion from UH. Ideally, I'd like to also get a Masters in Psych as well and teach both in community college, but I may have to stick with Religion and work off some debt before starting up the next one. Anyway, the best plan is probably for us to move there and gain residency before I begin graduate school. After graduating there's a good chance we'll stay in Hawaii if I can get a teaching job. If that proves to be difficult, we may have to say goodbye to Hawaii at that time.

...But I'm getting ahead of myself. During the year I am gaining residency, both my wife and I will probably try to find full time work to financially tread water. Are there ample job opportunities for speakers of Japanese/English with teaching backgrounds (but no TESOL or teaching degree!)?

Anyway, I'm trying to familiarize myself with Hawaii as much as I can now to make the transition as smooth as possible. I look forward to getting to know all of you here.

-Justin

Re: Aspiring UH Grad Student

Get certified for teaching in the DOE system. Teachers virtually anywhere will be required to earn a Bachelors degree in some level of education from preschool to college.

It's good that you'll be looking at a masters degree but remember this much you basically have to be invited into the college of ed so make sure your transcripts are up to date and your collage GPA is up to par. If not you may have to take a few remedial courses to boost it up.

Talk to your current college advisor as to your next college move.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Welcome to HT. Unfortunately I have no advice to offer to you but there are many on here who can point you in the right direction.
      "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
      "But I can't even read good."
      "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
      "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Konnichiwa, Justin; I like your nom de screen. A cup raised in your honor! (My sweetie, a/k/a "the Alpha Female," studied tea ceremony at Urasenke in Kyoto.)

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies.

Craig, thanks for the advice. At least in Michigan, one doesn't need a background in education to teach at a Community College; just a masters in whatever field they are teaching in. If it is different in Hawaii, that's something I'll have to look into. I'll be researching that before I come.

Leo - I'm a tea addict. maccha, houjicha, oolongcha - I love it all. I'm worried that if I have to move back to the Continental 48 I won't be able to find good bottled tea anymore. I'm hopelessly in love with Ito-En tea . Kyoto is a beautiful place to live - I'm a half hour away.

Whitepoint - Sometimes no advice can be the best advice of all. Brilliant of you to nourish self-reliance in the newbies. Thanks for welcoming me.

Comment

Working...
          X