X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Mary Kaye, a.k.a. Mary Ka'aihue

PalamaKid spotted this in the L.A. Times:

Mary Kaye, 83; singer ushered in all-night lounge acts in Vegas
    Mary Kaye, a singer and guitarist who is credited with introducing the word "lounge" into the lexicon of Las Vegas shows and whose jazz trio helped pioneer all-night performances on the strip's secondary stages, has died. She was 83. [...] Mary Ka'aihue was born into a musical family on Jan. 9, 1924, in Detroit and raised in St. Louis. Her grandfather was Prince Kuhio, brother of Queen Liliuokalani, who was the last monarch of Hawaii and wrote many musical standards, including "Aloha 'Oe." Her father was known professionally as Johnny Ukulele. By age 12, Kaye and her brother were performing with his band, Johnny Ka'aihue's Royal Hawaiians. Her mother had died when Mary was 3.
    She also has a Wikipedia entry. An interesting life, and a sad loss.

Ka'aihue... any relation, Pali?

Re: RIP: Mary Kaye, a.k.a. Mary Ka'aihue

I remember when I was in high school my dad had several Mary Kaye Trio albums. Until Palama Kid's email I'd not heard her name in decades and, of course, had no idea she she was even remotely related to anything or anyone Hawaiian. What a trip down Memory Lane to visit her web site. Yes, indeedy, Mary...RIP. And please say hi to my dad.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      [...]Ka'aihue... any relation, Pali?
      Kapono's related to Mary. Don't know if Pali is but it would seem so. Pali? Where are you?!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Kapono's related to Mary. Don't know if Pali is but it would seem so.
        Pali & Henry are cousins .

Comment

Pali's been playing "How do I keep my eyelids open?" at a conference.

Pali told me he and Henry second cousins....I mailed him pointing him to this thread, but I dunno when he might be able to answer.

Comment

Working...
          X