Electronic devices on family outings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic devices on family outings

When I was a teenager, my parents forbad me to bring my Walkman to family outings, e.g., to the beach, shopping, etc. The reason why they would not allow Walkmans on family outings is that they wanted me to pay attention to what's going on around me and to socialize with my family. They told me that it's rude to listen to my Walkman on family outings. They also told me that if I'm just going to listen to my Walkman, I might as well stay home. I was quite upset about their No-Walkman policy because I felt that there is no sense in a device being portable if I'm not allowed to take it with me.

Do you ban electronic devices, e.g., Walkmans, Gameboys, iPods, cell phones, etc., on family outings?

Re: Electronic devices on family outings

i'm still the baby of my family, since i'm an only child who hasn't yet herself had children, and honestly, bcs of family rifts that happened within the generation before mine, i don't get to hang out with much of my several hundred family members who live on oahu. maybe my opinion won't matter as much as those HTers who have families of their own. but i don't think it's unreasonable to "ban" portable devices like ipods or nintendo DSes on family outings, unless they're somehow shared. if you're sitting there, ignoring your family and friends to sit hunched with your eyes glued to some little screen, or if you're sitting there with your eyes closed and blocking out everyone's voices so you can delight in the newest gwen stefani single, then you shouldn't be there. it's disrespectful. if the reason why you're distracting yourself from your family is bcs you just don't like them, then don't go.

from my wistful perspective, i sometimes wish i wasn't such a nerd growing up, with my nose constantly buried in a book while on family picnics, even tho it was partially out of necessity, since, esp in high school, i had a lot of homework to do on weekends. i would have gotten to know my cousins a lot better, and maybe we'd be closer now. *shrug*

apologies for the many run on sentences.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

When was my last family outing?

Anyways, from what I can remember (maybe 10 years ago or something) we brought gameboys and walkman radios (the cassette kind, not MP3 player) on our family outings, and it was alright - but our cousins who don't have the luxury of the "toys" gathered around all of us and watched while we played with our toys (especially the gameboys). Eventually the kids were socializing with their own kind, while the adults did their thing.

Nowadays, all of us has a camera and we all bust that out to take random pics of each other. Cell phones, portable audio players, cameras, each family had that in one form or another.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

aside from cellphones, I don't think I've seen electronic toys at the beach. No room between the nets, spears, buckets, fishnets, mask/snorkel, fins, coolers, sun lotion, chairs and towels.

pax

Comment

Working...
        X