What do you believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you believe?

i didn't see this covered elsewhere, at least not in this same manner. hopefully, i'm posting in the right place and am not repeating anything that has been done before, at least to the unhappiness of the members of this community.

since joining HT, i've noted with interest what people say about god/goddess/gods/goddesses/religion/organized religion/spirituality/the bible and for better or worse, i wanna ask y'all:

what do you believe?

do you participate in some sort of organized religion?

does whatever faith you practice sometimes cause internal conflict for you?

if you're agnostic or athiest, does your faith (cause it is--i mean, to believe that there is no god is a faith of sorts, and choosing not to believe one way or another until one or the other is proven is a sort of faith, too) cause you conflict, too?

do you think there is only ONE god? if so, how is s/he/it represented in your mind? nevermind the images you see in art or media or church or wherever--how you conceive of your supreme being(s)?

what do you think of holy books like the bible or torah or the koran?

i mean no disrespect and i hope this doesn't open a bitter hellfire of conflict amongst us; i'm just curious. after reading "velvet elvis" by rob bell (i described it a bit in the "what are you reading" thread), i've been thinking a lot about faith. i figure that in exploring my own concepts, i should be open to hearing what others believe, too.

i'll say a lil bit about myself and what i believe: i sometimes call myself an unorthodox catholic. i believe in women's reproductive rights. i would love to have female priests, and allow all priests to marry. i find solace in the ceremony of catholic mass, and seeing nuns and priests walking around town makes me happy. i grew up going to our lady of peace every sunday with my mom and mama (grandma). i don't go to mass much, but i'll pop into a cathedral or chapel and say prayers at least a few times a month. for a couple of years, i went to honpa hongwanji mission school and i attended temple, which i was sorta conflicted about but not enough to stop going. i then went to an episcopalian college prep school (some of you already know which one) and going to chapel once a week was good for me, even tho it wasn't a catholic church.

i don't think i could marry someone who believed in god and had at least some christian leanings (eric's dad was buddhist; his mom was raised catholic. for reasons i won't get into here, eric is angry at the church. no, he wasn't molested by a priest or anything like that). i'd like any children i have to be baptized in the christian faith when they're still wee but i don't think i'd despair too much what religion they were as long as they were spiritual and good to their fellow men/women.

oh, and i found russell wong as an angel in the "prophecy" film series a disturbingly guilty yet tasty thing.

i hope someone replies to this! i'm really interested to see what everyone says!
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: god help me...but gonna ask y'all anyway

I believe in God the father. I believe that he sent his son Jesus to die on Calvary for our sins. From personal experiences, I believe there is a heaven and a hell. I see Angels. Many Angels. I do not attend church as often as I want to because I do not want to be a hypocrite. I pray to the God I believe in every chance I get and I give him the honor and praise in everything I do. It is only by his grace that I live and continue to accomplish what he has chosen for me to do in Life.

This is what I BELIEVE.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Having grown up Catholic, I'll admit that I'm likely predisposed to read the above as confessions. Those questions of faith are so many in number and and so few in answer as to stagger it, the very mind that seeks an answer. Faith is a gift.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
        Having grown up Catholic, I'll admit that I'm likely predisposed to read the above as confessions. Those questions of faith are so many in number and and so few in answer as to stagger it, the very mind that seeks an answer. Faith is a gift.
        I'd like to apologize for being a sanctimonious creep. *hork*
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
          I'd like to apologize for being a sanctimonious creep. *hork*
          I belong to the LDS(inactive) church. I find it ironic that your name is a LDS slang for Jehovah's Witnesses, are you one?
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Re: What do you believe?

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
            if you're agnostic or athiest, does your faith (cause it is--i mean, to believe that there is no god is a faith of sorts, and choosing not to believe one way or another until one or the other is proven is a sort of faith, too) cause you conflict, too?
            I will not speak for agnostics but I do not believe atheism to be a matter of faith. Quite the opposite.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
              I will not speak for agnostics but I do not believe atheism to be a matter of faith. Quite the opposite.
              I think there is a difference between believing that there is no god and not believing in a god. The former IS a matter of faith, because you cannot prove that something does not exist; therefore, to be convinced there is no god requires some amount of faith. Simply not believing in a god is different; it means that the evidence for a god's existence is unconvincing, and therefore requires no faith.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I think there is a difference between believing that there is no god and not believing in a god. The former IS a matter of faith, because you cannot prove that something does not exist; therefore, to be convinced there is no god requires some amount of faith. Simply not believing in a god is different; it means that the evidence for a god's existence is unconvincing, and therefore requires no faith.
                Thank you for articulating that distinction.

I have always thought that religious faith is only necessary because there isn't convincing documentary evidence that God actually exists. You know: voices booming from burning bushes; cherubim and seraphim descending from heaven in cascades of light; that sort of thing. If miracles happened regularly and repeatably, then you wouldn't need faith in the existence of God -- you'd have proof.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  IIRC you are describing the difference between "strong atheism" and "weak atheism".
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I am an atheist - I do not believe in God or a god or gods. I do not consider it to be a faith, any more than I would consider it to be a faith to believe in the existence of Pluto, or the non-existence of Klingons. I follow certain aspects of many "religions" - many of my chosen behaviors could be described as Taoist, some are more Buddhist, some are certainly recognizable as stemming from Islamo-Judeo-Christian traditions.

I have no problem with individuals of strong faith, as long as they do not attempt to impose it upon me. I respect folks like 1stwahine and scrivener (to give just two examples that could apply to many HT posters) for that, and I get the feeling that they respect me despite my lack of religious faith. Lynn even said "from personal experiences..." as part of her definition; I would not attempt to contradict that. My own personal experiences have led me to reject a belief in God/gods, simple as that (and I have explored long and sought out God/gods for many years.)

I do find that I conflict with most "organized religions," due to their my-way-or-the-highway-to-hell attitude. I've quoted songwriter Kenny White on this one before: "If God tells you what to do, that's great. If God tells you to tell ME what to do, we have a problem." Not all religions are as proselytizing or evangelical in this manner, however - that's largely why I once considered myself to be a follower of the Baha'i faith, a religion that considers all major faiths and primary beings of those faiths to be legitimate and united in their purposes, messages and teachings to humanity.

Sam Harris' recent little book, "Letter to a Christian Nation," covers many of my attitudes well, particularly in his concerns that religion's influence on politics and affairs of state is too strong, and his rebuttal of arguments that atheism is a faith or religion unto itself.

Comment

The older I get the less I concern myself with the details and mechanics of belief. One term that might apply to me is "progressive Christian". Another perhaps is "cultural Christian" and that's because I delight in mahalo Iesu through my culture. WRT Jesus, the words in red make the most sense. What did he do? Why did he break OT laws left and right? What point was he trying to make? Why did he hang with so many unworthies and untouchables? Why did he and his disciples all meet a martyred fate? How is the imperfect with purpose raised above the pious Pharisee? And how are these universal lessons prompting me to give back?

Put in a different light, there are a lot of Isaiah/John/Epistles/Revelations kinds of Christians and they get the most press and write the most Christian-theme books and focus much on post-mortem destiny. I am more of the Proverbs/Ecclesiastes/Matthew/Luke/James kind of Christian and deeply feel that doing for the least of others is my faith.

pax

Comment

I have faith, but it's not of a religious nature. I believe, but not in any god. I've dabbled in and studied many religions, and none suit me completely. So my faith is that some people somewhere will figure out how to make this world survive, and I believe that if we don't figure that out, nature will take care of it all by herself.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                          I belong to the LDS(inactive) church. I find it ironic that your name is a LDS slang for Jehovah's Witnesses, are you one?
                          Nope. But I did visit the Tabernacle or whatever when I was on tour in SLC. The acoustics are flat-out amazing.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                            I always think of George W. Bush when I see jdub's initials. But jdub is WAY smarter. @;-)
                            Oh man, rope-a-dope!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

in january i had a lovely conversation with a franciscan nun. mind you, she has been a nun since a fairly young age (twenties, i think) and she is now in her fifties, i'm guessing.

she told me that she, over the years, had been to some funerals or weddings which were not catholic in ceremony or even christian. however, only recently was she able to sit close enough to the presider of a non-catholic ceremony. this time, it was for a buddhist funeral. she told me what was wonderful about the service is that what the monk ? reverend? talked about was quite the same as the basic tenets of christianity (love thy neighbor, don't kill other people, don't oof your friend's wife, etc).

then she said something to me that i never thought would come out of the mouth of a nun or priest, and i'm so very sorry that i have to paraphrase:

god is so great and unfathomable and mysterious--what makes us mere humans think that we can conceptualize him into ONE thing--whether it's ONE book or ONE story or ONE image? who is to say he (for lack of a better word to describe god) did not present himself to all the peoples of the world in exactly the way he knew they needed him to present himself, or that the way he presented himself manifested itself differently to each community because--well--we're human--we can't fully understand god, so we "translate" him in ways we do understand that are unique to our culture/community.

she also went on to say that we need to remember that the bible is the word of god through man.

i really love this nun.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X