• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Pioneer Ernest Gallo Dies

U.S. wine pioneer Ernest Gallo dies at 97
    • Gallo and late brother, Julio, founded E&J Gallo Winery in 1933
    • They made wine for 50 cents a gallon -- half the going price
    • Gallo is world's second-largest wine company by volume
    What a fantastic story of achievement and living the American Dream, especially when this is taken into consideration....

Fresno County records say their father, Joseph, shot their mother, Susie, to death in June 1933, then killed himself. That was two months before the founding of the Gallo winery.
    Wow. Talk about perseverance, strength and courage. Most people would have fallen apart. Albeit, it sounds like that life-changing event would eventually mold his business acumen and work ethic.

On top of that, he lived to 97 years old - an underscoring endorsement in favor of the scientific theory that wine, when consumed in moderation, has coronary health benefits. If he indeed drank wine. One would assume he did.

The name Gallo is as synonymous with wine as Gates and Jobs are with computers.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Wine Pioneer Ernest Gallo Dies

Long live the maker of Thunderbird!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      If he indeed drank wine. One would assume he did.
      oh hell yeah. One would also assume the stuff he drank was a lot better than the stuff he sold!
      "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

May I interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to solicit my gripe:

how does one know how to tell what "good wine" is? Because I sure don't. Each glass inspires the same look on my face... <<-kinda like that, but more between and where IS the 'grimace' icon??

pax

Comment

Good wine ought not make you grimace!

Seriously, the only thing you need to know about wine is, if you like it then it's good. I just happen to think Gallo sucks.
          "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post

how does one know how to tell what "good wine" is? Because I sure don't. Each glass inspires the same look on my face... <<-kinda like that, but more between and where IS the 'grimace' icon??
            Is this true for both red and white wines? When next you're in California I'd be honored to take you and your kane for a tasting trip. We'll see if we can't find something to your liking.
            My fav: http://www.tobinjames.com/
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
              Is this true for both red and white wines? When next you're in California I'd be honored to take you and your kane for a tasting trip. We'll see if we can't find something to your liking.
              My fav: http://www.tobinjames.com/
              Reminds me of the 3-day wine tasting odyssey a friend and I took a few years ago in Napa. We travelled up and down Silverado and stopped at at least 15 wineries. He got snockered (because he swallowed the wine he was tasting) but I didn't because I just smelled, swished and spit out my samples.

My favorite winery was a little one called Rabbit Ridge in Healdsburg. They make an outstanding viognier (I prefer whites, but don't like California chards because most of them are too oaky for me). Looks like they've built a new winery and bottling plant, which means maybe I'll be able to finally find bottles of their wines up here! I loved Clos Pegase too because of the art gallery. And Sterling was cool because of the aerial tram to get to the winery (fantastic views from up there!)

Didn't Gallo also invent the ubiquitous wine in a box?

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Reminds me of the 3-day wine tasting odyssey a friend and I took a few years ago in Napa. We travelled up and down Silverado and stopped at at least 15 wineries. He got snockered (because he swallowed the wine he was tasting) but I didn't because I just smelled, swished and spit out my samples.

My favorite winery was a little one called Rabbit Ridge in Healdsburg. They make an outstanding viognier (I prefer whites, but don't like California chards because most of them are too oaky for me). Looks like they've built a new winery and bottling plant, which means maybe I'll be able to finally find bottles of their wines up here! I loved Clos Pegase too because of the art gallery. And Sterling was cool because of the aerial tram to get to the winery (fantastic views from up there!)

Didn't Gallo also invent the ubiquitous wine in a box?

Miulang
                Try this one if you're back in Healdsburg:
                http://www.arafanelliwinery.com/
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

how does one know how to tell what "good wine" is?

I can't tell either. It all tastes like vinegar to me.
                  My dad was a wine salesman for Villa Banfi for almost 20 years (Riunite was their biggest brand). He used to bring wine home all the time. He's into wine...I can't tell the good stuff from swill. That whole tasting thing they do with the sniffing the cork, swashing it around...I don't get it.

I have a sweet tooth, so I'd rather drink Welch's Grape juice.

Some Italian *I* am, huh ?

Now, tomato sauce...that's a different story.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

[...]how does one know how to tell what "good wine" is?[...]
                    Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    [...] I can't tell either. It all tastes like vinegar to me.[...]
                    Sometimes it pays not to have a sense of smell and taste! I can drink the cheapo stuff and not know the difference. The only way I can tell? Two glasses is my max and if I wake up with a headache the next day then I know I drank cheap wine. More expensive wine takes 3 glasses. I really dislike losing a day of my life to a wine headache so never surpass my 2 glasses in a nite max when I'm out...0 glasses when I'm home!

Comment

Working...
                    X