McDonald's Haupia Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's Haupia Pie

Remember the Taro Pie? Looks like McDonald's of Hawaii is experimenting again, this time with the next logical sweet, creamy filling for their deep fried pies: Haupia!

I don't even like haupia (I know, I know, some local!), but I had to try it. And turns out I liked it. Better than the Taro Pie, certainly.

The sweet filling and the crispy, salty crust is a nice combo. (But they ain't kidding with, "Caution: Filling Is Hot!") The haupia is runnier than I'd expected, but still good.

Anyone else tried it?

Re: McDonald's Haupia Pie

I loved the taro pie so I best not even try the haupia pie! I LOVE haupia!

Comment

Sounds good. I gotta' try this.

While they're at it, they should offer a Pina Colada (pineapple-coconut) Milk Shake.

Have you ever tried Roselani's Haupia Ice Cream? Cold, sweet 'n creamy coconut goodness. Highly recommended.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Sounds good. I gotta' try this.

While they're at it, they should offer a Pina Colada (pineapple-coconut) Milk Shake.

Have you ever tried Roselani's Haupia Ice Cream? Cold, sweet 'n creamy coconut goodness. Highly recommended.

HAUPIA??? Yummy, yummy, yummy!

In addition to Roselani's ice cream, I also enjoy the haupia-filled Puff-a-sadas (malasadas).

Comment

whats after haupia pie? (there no 'i' in team)
          pinapple-custard? teri-spam?
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

OMG! I love this thread! Mmmmmm!
            Lovena

Comment

Payday's not 'til Thursday, so I'm scraping the penny jar today and tomorrow. Had dinner at McD's, where I had to try the haupia pie, even though I, like Ryan, don't really like haupia.

It's okay. I'd rather have had apple, to be honest. It IS a bit on the runny side, and it's not as sweet as the taro pie was. Worth a try at $.99, that's for sure.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I tried it last night, and I always thought of haupia as a food served cold (aka haupia pie). With that said, it was not as good as the apple pie (are they still serving that?) but I guess it can be a local staple if its marketed right.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Just picked a few up at the Ala Moana McD's...

I guess from the time it took to drive home and try it, the filling cooled and wasn't as runny as Ryan's pie was. It was thick enough to stay put without dripping out while biting into it. Certainly tastes like Haupia, albeit a warm version. Ryan's right, the crisp, salty crust (same as the Apple Pie) compliments the sweet, slightly gelatinous filling well.

The apple pie is still my favorite though. The texture of the apples and spice of the cinnamon have much more character... something I think both the Taro and Haupia lack behind in. This, because they're mostly filled with a fhickened and flavored sauce. If they had abundant shreds or soft chunks of real coconut in the mixture, it might have a little more substance. Overall for the price at $1.09 each, it's worth a try and pretty darned "coconutty" good.

They've got a large promotional poster of it on the front window at the Ala Moana location (and all locations I imagine)...

Another shot of the same sign Ryan got...
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I tried it over the weekend. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The flavor was nice even though I'd like a creamier haupia. I'd eat it again if someone would buy it for me. Don't think I'll buy one for myself tho...
                    You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

back in da day, when one could get red chicklets for saying that McTaro Pie tasted like "ass", one of yewwww buggahs gave me my FIRST red chicklet.

Not that I am harboring grudges, or anything.

pax

Comment

You know with all the posting of dishes from some of our local eateries, people must be thinking, "Look at that person taking pictures of their dinner"
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          You know with all the posting of dishes from some of our local eateries, people must be thinking, "Look at that person taking pictures of their dinner"
                          I sometimes do it. Its "normal" for someone to take a pic with their camera phone, but when I bust out my digital camera (even though its small) I get stares - especially if I forget to turn off the flash.
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

It's not unusual at all, especially in sit-down restaurants. In fact, many restaurants have a sort of "no photos of the food" policy because of the prolificity of food blogs. Restaurants are worried that a bad photo will mean bad publicity for the restaurant, and the higher-end restaurants just don't like not having control of the images that get out.

They've got a good point, and the truth is that when you're in a building or a place of business, it's generally polite anyway to ask for permission to take photos. Anything you can see from a public space (like, from the street) is beyond anyone else's control, but if you're going to be taking pictures of the interiors of buildings, you really should ask for permission. For food, I usually don't.

I've dined with people (that's you, Lynn!) who were asked not to take pictures and then basically said, "Try and stop me!" And I think most restaurants won't risk the negative vibe by pushing it...if you INSIST on taking pictures, they'll probably act like they don't see it once they've asked you nicely not to.

And then I've seen cameras bring out the better service. I've dined with people who took pictures of absolutely everything (that's you, Ryan!) and receive free drinks, free food, and an interview with the owner!
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                              Not that I am harboring grudges, or anything.
                              You'd better not be! You had more reputation points per post than God.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X