Cholo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cholo's

How is this place? I had to meet someone at the NorthShore Marketplace and I saw the sign for the margarita bar....caught my eye...but I didn't have time to go there. How is it?

Re: Cholo's

i ate there a year and a half ago, bcs the beau's mom somehow made friends with the owner. that, of course, meant we got great service. we did have cocktails and i remember them being properly made (not too much rum vs. sweet & sour, etc.). if memory serves correctly, one of us had the chili verde, another the carne asada, and another the ahi tacos (which were kinda sad--the fish didn't taste as fresh and you'd hope). i took pity on my boyfriend, who ordered the fish tacos, and let him eat most of my chili verde. unfortunately, all three of us found the food too salty. however, the ambiance is great and it's an amusing place to be if you're on the north shore, tho i wouldn't drive from town just to eat there. mexican restaurant in

hope that helps...
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Living on the North Shore I eat there every once in a while. The food is pretty good and the prices are reasonable. I don't drink, so I can't comment on the beverages, But If your on the North Shore and want some Mexican food Cholo's is your best bet IMO. Your only other option would be Rosie's Cantina, but I haven't eaten there in years so I can't really comment.
      808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
      kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
      http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Drinks are decent. Food's so-so.

Comment

I grew up in Haleiwa and eat there on occasion....I think the food is great, and when we've asked for a dish to be less spicy (or whatever for the keiki) they have been very accomodating. Couple times it was really busy but once we're seated the service is great...had their lilikoi margarita as well as the mojito & enjoyed both....would definitely continue to eat there.

On another note, we've also eaten at Rosie's (because my niece works there) and thought the food was kind of bland and the service really poor....they fussed when we asked for an extra plate to split an order....and we had to ask repeatedly for water.

Comment

Went to Cholo's once (because I rarely get out that way) ... had a Marga-tini ... and had to have another one! Woulda had another one too, but the schedule (and, sadly, a modicum of sobriety) had to be maintained.

I really enjoyed the main part of my meal -- though at this moment I can't remember what I ordered! (Maybe I shouldn't have had that second Marga-tini?)

The Mexican rice was nothing to write home about ... and the refries were okay -- don't know if they were house-made or out of a can.

That said, the experience was positive enough for me to go back.
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I went and it was not great.
              I guess I will be ordering my spices and cooking my own Mexican food at home.
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by OahuGirl View Post
                I went and it was not great.
                I guess I will be ordering my spices and cooking my own Mexican food at home.
                Thanks!
                OahuGirl, here's a thread on mexican food you might find helpful if you get tired of cooking your own:

http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....=Mexican+foods

twas thru reading thru it this morning that i found that one of the only two restaurants (the two being los tres compadres and molly's) i am willing to drive to wahiawa for closed. the last time i went to los tres was in 2003 or 2004. *sob*
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                X