Neighbor Island Roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbor Island Roots

The diversity of Hawaii's people are not only made up of ethnic heritage, but from we're from, geographically speaking. With that, our parents often come from different places, including the islands that make up the Hawaiian island chain.

Where are your roots in Hawaii? Niihau? Kauai? Oahu? Molokai? Lanai? Maui? The "Big Island" of Hawaii? Chinaman's Hat? Rabbit Island?

This is the thread to share where you and/or your parents or grandparents are from. Discuss what makes that a part of who you are today. The cultural make-up. Childhood memories such as visiting grandma and grandpa at their hometown in Hilo... or wherever they or you're from - and live now - in this beautiful place of Hawaii we call home.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Neighbor Island Roots

My mother is originally from Kohala; dad is originally from Hilo (both Big Island).

Girlfriend's parents are originally from Kauai, then moved to Maui, where my girlfriend was born and raised her entire life.

I'll elaborate more later when I have time.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

From another thread on January 17, 2007.

"Both my grand-parents started in Koloa. My father's parents upon migrating from the Philippines and my maternal grand-parents Philippines and Kauai married in Koloa. My maternal great grandparents from Potorico. Summers were spent quite often in Koloa or on Maui with relatives. It was a given.

It is where I learned how to appreciate Hawaii's rich cultural and serene beauty. The closeness of one's community can not be found anyplace else like Koloa's from what I grew up with. The picnics at Poipu Beach filled with so much kaukau dat all the manangs wen cook. Ahhh..so much food and desserts!

As children we walked to each other's home. For there were no Buses. We didn't care. We didn't have to worry about being abused, raped, or whateva's. Everyone knew who we belonged to.

The houses ~ ah, yes...the houses. Many were plantation homes. Old or new, it didn't matter. We were always welcomed. That is the Koloa, I remember fondly."

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Portuguese side came from the Azores and Madeira to Kona (big isle), some went to Maui though it didn't take long for the ones I'm directly descended from to get to O'ahu, and others are from Kilauea, Kaua'i. Everyone eventually made their way to O'ahu (Wahiawa, Ewa, Waipahu, and Kahuku.)

Chinese side immigrated to O'ahu (Kahuku) with some family on that side going to Maui, but then I do believe they ended up back in O'ahu also.

My Kanaka side hails from Ni'ihau on one bloodline, Moloka'i on another, Kaua'i on another and O'ahu on two different ones.

My uncles used to work summers on Lana'i in da pineapple fields for extra cash.

I am connected some way or another to every island but Kahoolawe. At least I don't "think" I have connection to Kahoolawe.

That said the vast majority of my memories are on O'ahu as it's where I was born, where I grew up for some time, and where most of da 'ohana resides. It wasn't too cheap to go island hoping when I was a keiki so we pretty much stayed put. It's hard to get time to visit 'ohana on the neighbor isles because tutu is in O'ahu and when I come home it's for her and my Portuguese gpa who also resides on O'ahu. I end up spending all the time I can with them. Not to mention an overwhelming amount of uncles, aunties, cousins, etc., live on O'ahu. One day I will learn vacation time management. Or even better, move home so I can spend my off time exploring the connections I have to other isles.
        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I forgot to post that I grew up split between Ewa and Kunia. We lived in various other places but those are the two places I spent most of my time in. My mother is from Kunia and my father's side in Ewa. I grew up for some time in Kunia, living in my tutu's house and those are probably my most fond memories. We used to take my gpa lunch out in the Del Monte pineapple fields. Tutu would always have fresh pineapple (of course) and we'd sprinkle a little salt on it and eat that every afternoon.

Us keiki used to walk to the post office/general store over there (in Kunia) and buy ling hing mui at outrageous prices (lol), no supervision, much like Auntie Lynn talks about, people knew who me, my brother and sisters belonged to. I remember my oldest sister needing to get to the manapua man at Mililani High School every morning because she knew he'd be there. *LOL* He'd make us run for him where we lived in Waipahu.

We also had lu'au at my great grandparents hale. They raised pigs on a shared property and had an imu. I'm sad to say my very immediate family hasn't had one of those kine of get togethers ever since my great grandparents passed away. We really, really, really should.

The simple times at my tutu's house in Kunia definitely grounded me and she taught me a lot of morals, a lot of care for the 'aina, and made me a much better person than if I never had those years with her.
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

My grandfather originated from maui but we've lost touch with that side of the family.

Comment

I have a strain of kanaka who come from the windward side of O'ahu for generations, but 3/4 of my line is moku o keawe, all districts, uninterrupted since antiquity.

pax

Comment

My Dad is from Hilo, Amaolu Camp from where he was born, his parents immigrated from Japan.

My Mom is from Honolulu, Moilili her parents immigrated from Japan.

I grew up in Palolo on 1309 Jasmine Street, moved to Waialae Nui Valley to 5123 Kilauea Avenue.

Now I'm married and am residing on the Big Island in Keaau. My last son Jesse becomes the book end to my Dad...Grandfather and Grandson both born and raised on the Big Island.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  My Dad is from Hilo, Amaolu Camp from where he was born, his parents immigrated from Japan.

I grew up in Palolo on 1309 Jasmine Street, moved to Waialae Nui Valley to 5123 Kilauea Avenue.

Now I'm married and am residing on the Big Island in Keaau. My last son Jesse becomes the book end to my Dad...Grandfather and Grandson both born and raised on the Big Island.
                  I am a 4th generation Japanese born and raised on the Big Island. both my parents are Kona born raised on coffee farms. I think not having Plantation roots give me a different look on people. I notice even Kona Japanese are different than Hilo Japanese.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                    I am a 4th generation Japanese born and raised on the Big Island. both my parents are Kona born raised on coffee farms. I think not having Plantation roots give me a different look on people. I notice even Kona Japanese are different than Hilo Japanese.
                    Then there's the Honolulu Japanese and the Hilo Japanese.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Is Amaulu Camp still around? How about Wainaku and Kaiwiki Camps?

Hilo, Honolulu, Kona anything (fill in the blank) differ, not just Japanese.

My grandfathers were both immigrants, Kumamoto (Japan), Canton (China). My bachan was from Maui, my popo from Kona. My dad from Hilo, my mom from Kurtistown (between Keaau and Mt. View). I grew up in Kau, moved to Hilo at age 7. I'm a country boy at heart.

Got married to local "valley girls" - first Manoa naichi, then Palolo uchinanchu. My kids are "city" kids - the Big Island is "nice to visit, but ......"

Me? I get back even for a weekend at least once per month. Finally scored those $19 one-way fares on Aloha for next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X