Homework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homework

In a previous HT thread the question was raised, does homework help?

The Washington Post asks the same question, and the Center for Public Education has new research on the subject as well.

Re: Homework

I have a clear recollection of an article written sometime this year or late last year. It was a clear case against heavy homework. I wish I could remember which magazine it was. I read it in an office somewhere.

Comment

It was probably Time, which wrote about the books (published on the same date) I mention in the post Glen links to above.

Slate ran a pretty good piece, too, also citing Alfie Kohn.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

homework? Big believer in it myself.

pax

Comment

...But research doesn't support homework's effectiveness. I also "believe" in certain objectives that homework helps accomplish, but if research doesn't seem to indicate that it actually meets those objectives, what is the point?

Please read the Kohn book. Most public libraries probably have a copy of it.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            ...But research doesn't support homework's effectiveness. I also "believe" in certain objectives that homework helps accomplish, but if research doesn't seem to indicate that it actually meets those objectives, what is the point?

Please read the Kohn book. Most public libraries probably have a copy of it.
            Looking at Glen's last link in his first post above, which cites Kohn, it doesn't say that "research doesn't support homework's effectiveness." The highlights:
            • The link between homework and student achievement is far from clear.
            • Older students benefit more from homework than younger students.
            • Students from low-income homes may not benefit as much from homework as those from higher-income homes.
            • Students with learning disabilities benefit from homework under certain conditions.
            • Asian American students may benefit more from homework than do students from other ethnic groups.
            • Homework may have nonacademic benefits.
            • Too much homework may diminish its effectiveness.
            • The amount of homework completed by students seems to be more positively associated with student achievement than the amount of homework assigned by teachers.
            • After-school programs that provide homework assistance may improve student behavior, motivation, and work habits but not necessarily academic achievement.
            • The effect of parent involvement in homework is unclear.
            • There is little research on connections between specific kinds of homework and student achievement.

pax

Comment

We don't need no research to tell us that the kids get way too much hoemwork. We have a 6 yr. old in 1st grade and she was getting 2 to 3 hours of homework in 4 "subjects" everyday. By the time she was done, it was too late to go out and play and often times ended her day depressed and crying. We have a niece in the 2nd grade who stresses out about not being able to finish before she even starts.

Her old teacher was too wrapped up in meeting "criteria", so says a high school teacher of our acquainance. Thank goodness she retired. Her new teacher is lots more realistic about it and Mel gets a few sheets of homework maybe every other day. 10 to 20 minutes, tops. Way, way better if we can now get Mel to do it consistently We fear we're going to have problems, now, when she gets into middle school where "real" homework starts getting assigned. Kinda hard to judge it's effectiveness when a child comes to hate doing homework.
              Last edited by Da Rolling Eye; March 19, 2007, 04:08 PM.

Comment

As a kid I hated homework and seldom got it done.

Still, I managed to test well. Teachers and my parents were perplexed. What no one seemed to realize was that it was BORING.

I figured if I knew how to do it, why did I have to do the same type of exercise 25 times?

What I did get into were projects. Again, teachers didn't seem to grasp that if this kid was just plain lazy, why did he spend an inordinate amount of time doing these other projects?

Comment

In homeschooling my son we mix homework with his schoolwork and leave it at the door at 3pm.
                  He studies while doing homework. Seems to work well, he is ahead of his grade. And a very apt student. He reads for hours after his schoolwork is done.

He went to school last year and dropped down almost 2 full grades.
                  With homework every night.
                  I know they need homework but how much? Maybe if they learned more during the day.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

home work

do the home work at sharp time

Comment

Working...
                    X