Tripe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripe

How do you feel about tripe, particularly in tripe stew?
    Never had it, never will.
    13.95%
    Never had it, but I'd try it.
    6.98%
    Had it. Bleah.
    13.95%
    Had it. It's okay.
    11.63%
    Had it. Like it.
    20.93%
    Had it. Love it!
    32.56%
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Tripe

Had it, diced up small and soaked in shoyu. Tolerable - but not something I'd go out of my way to get.

Comment

I love it. I can cook it several ways.

I eat it with Poi or Rice.

Mmmmmm...good.

Jackies in Waimalu makes the Best Tripe Stew now.

Try their Salt Meat Watercress Soup to go with it too.

Broke da mouth!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm not so keen on local-style tripe stew. Mexican menudo, though... that's good stuff.

Comment

My vote was a mistake...meant to mark that I've never had it and never will. Oops.

Comment

I was wondering about that. "She won't eat the flesh, but she'll eat an organ?"
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think I may have eaten a piece that was in a bowl of pho a few years back. I didn't notice the net-lookin bits til after I was probably half way through.

I think I might try it if I'm feeling brave or uh...well, I dont know. Depends on my mood I suppose.

Right now, my mood says I ain't touchin it. I just got done looking at pictures of it. Yeah, not touching it anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                I'm not so keen on local-style tripe stew. Mexican menudo, though... that's good stuff.
                Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I was wondering about that. "She won't eat the flesh, but she'll eat an organ?"
                It's very rare that I'll eat VERY ETHNIC foods -- but I'll only eat tripe when my mom makes sankutsar, somewhat of a tripe stew, but with chopped meat and chopped intestines, "seasoned" with pinapaitan...which is basically the bile...vinegar, pepper, and bay leaves. Kinda sick, I know, but the intestines (the silet) is my favorite part of the meal.

Pour that over rice and ooh 'da ono!!!
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Tripe and Cow Tongue...can't stomach it. Did it and don't like it.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

We used to make a tripe poke (no it wasn't raw) when I lived in Na'alehu. Country people eat the weirdest things.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Love tripe any way it's made. A good way is to mix the "string" type with kochujan(?) sauce, very ono with fresh hot rice. Menudo is also very good with the clear soup and then add some spicy salsa.

Comment

I love tripe stew. Tomato base, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, celery. Or, if no more bay leaf, then ginger. I love the honeycomb!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                          Tripe...can't stomach it.
                          Good one! Yes, I don't have the guts for it myself.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Tripe stew is my son's favorite - try Hannara's in Waianae..little out of the way but so very ONO! and yes, Country people do eat the 'weirdest' things but it's the best!

Comment

So long as it's prepared properly, in stew, yes...or Korean style. Boiled chilled and sliced and dipped in a vinegar based dipping sauce. Same with boiled beef tongue and heart. Gramma used to serve it to us all the time.

For those that don't like tripe or won't try it, you're not really missing anything. There's really no taste to it, same with tongue and heart. It's all in the dipping sauce. In stew, it's almost like eating plain'ol beef fat and gristle.

Personally, I like it, but won't go out of my way to get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X