Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Sausage!

What's your favorite sausage(s)?

Hot Dog? Kielbasa (Polish)? Bratwurst (German)? Chorizo (Spanish)? Mortadella (Italian)? Linguica (Portuguese)? Blood? Arabiki? Vienna? (is that really a sausage?), exclusive or gourmet specialty? Other?

What's your favorite brand(s)?

Oscar Meyer? Hillshire Farms? Johnsonville? Boar's Head? Redondo's? Rego's Purity? Other?

What's your favorite method to prepare and eat it?

Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Fried in a pan? Grilled on the BBQ? Stir Fried with vegetables? With pasta? Other?

*A poll would be nice here, but there's just too many varieties all over the world to fit in just 10 listings.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Dan Doodle

A family friend visiting from the east coast introduced us to this most unusual sausage we've never heard of in our life. It's affectionately named Dan Doodle, a.k.a. Tom Thumb.

Here's the complete dish he prepared for us just the other night...

Dan Doodle Sausage... Good 'ole southern food. You can see by the large, oblong shape that this "sausage" is made using a natural hog casing.

The Dan Doodle slices are (obviously) those meatloaf-lookin' critters at the 6 o'clock spot. He says this is a traditional southern food from North-eastern Carolina. You can only find this sausage in small mom 'n pop stores; never in large supermarkets or warehouse clubs.

It's prepared with pork meat (no innards except the casing) and plenty of spices including sage and red pepper flakes, all stuffed in the small intestine of a hog, then tied at both ends and hung to dry and cure. Some are smoked and some are just dry cured. This one he brought was just dry-cured. It's fairly cheap, costing just a few dollars a pound.

To cook the Dan Doodle, you you simply boil it in salted water until heated through, remove, then add cabbage into the water and cook that down until soft.

Traditionally he says, it's served over the cabbage, with boiled eggs on the side that have sweet pickle relish mixed into the yolk section and stuffed together with the whites, as shown on this plate. There's actually a special serving plate that has indentions around a center for the egg accompaniments.

Along with that are beets, sweet potatoes and boiled fingerling potatoes.

Let me say, this Dan Doodle sausage taste a bit strange by itself; good, but strange. Yet with those relish-stuffed eggs.. oh boy is this a WINNER! It's salted on the medium side, with a mild heat from the pepper flakes and sort of complex spice background. More on the dry than the oily (fatty) side. Again, by itself sort of weird, but with the whole dish, fantastic!

The whole dish together remiinds me of Irish (American) Corned Beef and Cabbage, and for good reason. He says many Irish settlers made Carolina their first home, which is probably who this southern dish originated from.

Anyone else out there familiar with or tried Dan Doodle?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Favorite Sausage!

I swear by my Aidells Sausage that I get from Costco.

I don't think I had a flavor I didn't like...and I can't quite name a favorite because they're all just soo good!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Amazing. I just woke up from a nap during which I dreamt that I was showing slides of different sausage to a bunch of kids. It was a mainland thing, so when we hit the beautiful picture of Portuguese sausage, I'd always say, "Hawaii's favorite and my favorite!" I don't remember what else there was, but the pictures were delicious. And now I wake and see this post.

Too bad I didn't dream of thirty-year-old, single, female English teachers.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I love Redondo's Blood Sausage. But the best kind is Homemade. Can either be steamed or fried. I also purchase Chorizo in the Large Round Green can. They sell it in fours at Times Super Market. Delicious cooked fried.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I learned to eat and enjoy the wonderful Hot Links wrapped in Tortillas and butter. Hmmmm...was so good.

Of course, Portuguese Sausage is a favorite amongst us all. For personal ~ it's Gouveia. For cooking ~ it's Redondo's!

My Pilipino side is a sausage called Longaniza. Preparation is easy. Put into a pan and prick with a fork. Cover with water and let simmer till brown on low fire. Masarap. Eat with hot steam rice.

Sausages of any kind is great. Last week, I tried the Portuguese Special with Meat Sauce at Spaghetti Factory. Ahhhhh...perfect match!

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; March 22, 2007, 04:45 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

My Pilipino side is a sausage called Longaniza. Preparation is easy. Put into a pan and prick with a fork. Cover with water and let simmer till brown on low fire. Marasap. Eat with hot steam rice.
            My mom often buys the longanisa from Amor Nino Foods, but my favorite is from the North Star store in Kalihi. She made her own longanisa not too long ago and I wish she'd do it more often because it was sooooo good! She said it just takes up too much time to make!

Anyone ever bought Ron Popeil's Pasta/Sausage Maker before?
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Almost anykind so long as the grease is seaping out as I bite'em.

Usually Portagee sausage. My fave is no longer being made. Used to buy it from a meat vendor in Oahu Market years ago. Another long gone fave was the hemangous Portagee sausage from Franks Foods in Hilo. When I can get'em, those small, skinny kine Portagee sausage from Kaua'i. Hau Tree Lanai was the only restaurant, here, that used to serve it for breakfast, AFAIK.

Viennas is sausage. It says so right on the can.

Comment

Frank's Foods (FF) of Hilo - Portuguese sausage chubs (one lb. +); pupu rockets (cocktail sausages - regular or Portuguese).

When I was a kid, we made our own P.S. chubs. Chunks (and I mean CHUNKS) of pork and fat, not "mush," in the casings, slowly smoked over kiawe.

I also enjoy chorizos with eggs over hot rice. YUMMY!

All with a side of toasted Portuguese sweet bread.

Comment

I grew up on Italian sausage; I like it hot, but I buy sweet for my kids. We always got it from the butcher. So I get the Safeway house brand or Johnson's. Lately, I've been buying the turkey Italian sausage by Foster Farms. Safeway Select bulk Italian is very good, too, if you're looking for that.
                  I truly love Evergood garlic sausage, but that stuff is so good I have to stay away from it. It is amazing...with beer, off the grill. Can't eat like that any more!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I like the smoked sausage from Hillshire Farms. It goes perfect in Smoked Sausage Jambalaya:

1 pound smoked pork sausage such as kielbasa
                    1 large onion
                    2 small red bell peppers
                    2 celery ribs
                    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
                    1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
                    2 2/3 cups chicken broth
                    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
                    4 scallions
                    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices and chop onion, bell pepper, and celery. In a dry 2 to 2 1/2-quart heavy saucepan brown sausage over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, and with a slotted spoon transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off any fat from pan and in pan cook vegetables in oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened. Stir in rice, broth, and cayenne and bring to a boil. Cover pan and cook rice over low heat 15 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes. Thinly slice scallions. Fluff rice with a fork and stir in sausage, scallions, and salt and pepper, to taste.

This great and easy recipe was found on the Foodnetwork's Sara's Secrets
                    The only change I made was a couple more dashs of cayenne.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Jimmy Dean sausage, the kin in the roll. Maple for breakfast and lowfat for Lasagna, spaghetti, and any egg scramble thing I make.

Easy to cook, no casing and tastes MUCH better than hamburger.

I am a basic country cook.
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Pocho all the way, followed closely by a good spicy Italian.
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

As long its nice and meaty I aint particular

Since living here in the BAY AREA I would kill for plastic sausage = Lup Cheong

Haven't had that in awhile

Comment

Nothing like some good ole Portuguese sausage, Redondo or Niko (?) brand. We get um at Marukai. Just chowed on Longaniza sausage for breakfast yesterday. Oh boy, there went my diet.

Comment

Sausage is one of my favorite foods. Those Aidells mentioned are great. Fry or grill them up and theyre tasty. Portugese sausage and rice. Italian Sausage from Safeway in my spighetti sauce. Italian sausaage sliced in half with some sauteed red peppers and onions in a french roll. Steamed Lup Cheong over rice with some shiitake mushrooms. Mini sausages in barbeque sauce on rice. Redondos red dogs boiled in shoyu. Those huge summer sausages sliced thin with cheddar on a triscuit. sausage sausage sausage!
                              No man sausage tho.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X