Testing in Kindergarten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing in Kindergarten

First of all, I'm all for testing the kids, as much as we can, whenever they should be measured. I'm no expert, so I just go along with whatever the teacher and the schools say. Cool by me.

HOWEVER, last night I spent nearly 1/2 hour, during bath time, explaining to my daughter why she should not be too worried about it. Seems like the emotions surrounding the notion of testing are being delivered with the anxiety message, rather than a positive, can-do, "let's attack the test", attitude. Teachers should be confident in their ability to teach their students, and this confidence should be reflected in the way the students perceive such challenges as mandatory testing, college entrance exams, SAT's, etc.

I told my daughter that she is gonna do well, and she should believe that she will score high because she is a good student. We talked about how much we read, and all the math games we play. Then I mentioned how important it was to go to bed early, and eat all her veggies, so her brain is working real good. And I told her that success is like a game in life. You have to play it as hard as you can, and not be intimidated by anything that could go wrong. In other words, DON'T BE AFRAID.

I started this thread with the hope of motivating other parents to encourage and motivate their kids to excel in educational endeavours, and to take an active role each night to ensure that homework, and all other issues pertaining to school, are talked about and completed each day.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Testing in Kindergarten

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    explaining to my daughter why she should not be too worried about it. ... she should believe that she will score high because she is a good student. We talked about how much we read, and all the math games we play. ... I told her that success is like a game in life. You have to play it as hard as you can, and not be intimidated by anything that could go wrong. ... homework
    Kindergarten sure has changed. Childhood is definitely a shorter period of time than in the prior generation.

But Tim - if you're doing math games with your daughter at Kindergarten age, more power to you. Those skills may serve her well.

When I was in K-g, I was the only kid who could read/write/do math before coming to school (my older brother could, too, so he took it upon himself to teach me at home.) That advance leap served me well, until I got to high-school and became bored with the slow pace of teaching.

Comment

Way too much emphasis is placed on homework and testing for young children. They learn by “experiencing” life so why take their childhood away and hamper their gross motor skills by making them sit and complete homework assignments that are way too long. It's a good idea for children to get into the habit of doing homework but give me a break they are CHILDREN and why take that incredible magical time away from them and make them SIT for long periods of time with the books.
      The cognitive portion of the brain is still developing and enhancing motor skills is a very important factor in that development.
      My grandson’s third grade teacher did not give homework unless they didn’t finish their class work, and he learned a lot last year.

I liked what you said Tim about Math “Games” great way to learnfear of tests will prevent a child from learning.
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

"Sitting" for a 1/2 hour or an hour, and focusing on a particular mission is a SKILL, just the same as riding a bike. Kids these days are hardly ever made to sit and focus on something. Then "experts" diagnose them as hyperactive, and shove drugs down their throat.

Homework is an excellent time to teach a child the crucial skills of focus and patience.

Focus is key young grasshopper.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

"Sitting" for a 1/2 hour or an hour, and focusing on a particular mission is a SKILL, just the same as riding a bike. Kids these days are hardly ever made to sit and focus on something. Then "experts" diagnose them as hyperactive, and shove drugs down their throat.

Homework is an excellent time to teach a child the crucial skills of focus and patience.

Focus is key young grasshopper.
          I agree with your drug statement, far too many children and adults are victims of the pharmaceutical companies. But I can not see the connection between riding a bike and home work since one develops gross motor skills and one develops cognitive skills??? I do know that raising a child is a tremendous responsibility and developing good study habits is one of the keys. Since we live in an instant gratification culture developing patience is paramount. But on the other hand I have seen children in the first/second grade with two hours of homework a night.
          Focus is key young grasshopper ~~ Sounds very Zen, I like that..

If I remember correctly the grasshopper was hopping around having a good old time while the aunts were doing all of the work...not a good thing ~ grasshopper was left out in the cold.
          "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

2 hours of homework per night for a 1st or 2nd grader is called wasting a lot of time, sidetracking, losing focus, getting a glass of water, going potty, feeding the cat, looking at the goldfish, staring off into space, crying and pitching a fit, while Mom and Dad watch TV.

I am living this right now in my life. When I help my KG'er do homework, it takes about 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour. When my wife helps with the same homework, it takes 1-2 hours. If your child is taking 2 hours to do homework in the 2nd grade, believe me, it ain't the homework that is the problem. It is the lack of focus, and good skill building, that the parent is woefully lacking.

I say this, in general, to all parents - If your child is an idiot, it is probably not the school's fault. You will find the problem by looking into a mirror.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Go rent the movie Little Shaolin Monks. It is a documentary in Chinese, with English subtitles. Notice the incredible range in their physical regimen (from martial arts to meditation) and how fidgetless and focused they are at class time and during interviews.

pax

Comment

Pua'i - On that note, I have a friend who taught English in China to 7th & 8th graders. Now an American teacher would tell you those are the tough years in Junior High School. But in Maile's class of 140 students, there was not a single behavior problem at all.

A strict, conservative, discipline bound regimen in child rearing is what is best for ALL the children. In America, this idea has become villified by folks who think therapy, counseling, and ritalin are better than a Hickory paddle with some holes drilled into it.

These same folks will tell you that homework is bad for students.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

A strict, conservative, discipline bound regimen in child rearing is what is best for ALL the children. In America, this idea has become villified by folks who think therapy, counseling, and ritalin are better than a Hickory paddle with some holes drilled into it.

You are kidding right... Sounds very "military", how can you say what is best for ALL children?

When I help my KG'er do homework, it takes about 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour. When my wife helps with the same homework, it takes 1-2 hours. If your child is taking 2 hours to do homework in the 2nd grade, believe me, it ain't the homework that is the problem. It is the lack of focus, and good skill building, that the parent is woefully lacking.

LOL ~ I sure hope you wife doesn't read this...

Comment

ALL children crave well-defined boundaries, and limits to their lives. Discipline is what molds a child into a responsible adult. And discipline within the schools is what allows ALL children to get a decent education.

In a classroom, one bad apple WILL spoil the whole barrel.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

ALL children crave well-defined boundaries, and limits to their lives. Discipline is what molds a child into a responsible adult. And discipline within the schools is what allows ALL children to get a decent education.

In a classroom, one bad apple WILL spoil the whole barrel.
                      You are so right on about the "one bad apple" I absolutely agree with you...that's why I sent my daughter to a private school. I am also very anti-ritalin. It is absolutely shocking to see what children get away with especially the teen age kids. I am an event manager at a large venue in SF ~ MosconeCenter and Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. I am shocked at the behavior of these children at some of the concerts. I often ask my co-workers WHERE ARE THE PARENTS!!! I agree with most of what you say I just take a gentler approach. Children are running amuck and the parents are so obsessed with being a "friend" to their children they don't assume the role of a parent. Yes, it does start with children being taught to focus but they are still children. Compassion and role modeling goes a long way when it comes to child development. You sound like you take your responsibility as a parent very seriously and that’s a good thing. Kudos to you for being so involved in your children’s life, so many men are not these days and that is a major problem.

Comment

Thank You Greentara. Simply Thank You.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                        X