13-Year-Old Arrested In School For Writing On Desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13-Year-Old Arrested In School For Writing On Desk

In this day and age where young students are frequently charged for serious school offenses such as possessing weapons, dealing drugs, or assaulting other students on school property, one Brooklyn teen's arrest may come as a surprise. A 13-year-old girl was handcuffed and placed under arrest in front of her classmates in Dyker Heights after she wrote "Okay" on her desk.

The "suspect," Chelsea Fraser, says she's sorry for scribbling the word on her desk, but both she and her mother are shocked at the punishment.
    Source

I don't know what's scarier: today's society is getting this low, or the fact that I can finish this sentence:"You know, back when I was a kid...".
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: 13-Year-Old Arrested In School For Writing On Desk

OMG. At this point I don't know what to say. Only in America? Also notice that story about a dead infant in a garbage bag. The story also links to another one about a child buried in a woman's backyard. I don't want to read that one.
    Last edited by reineke; April 7, 2007, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Clearly a case of punishment not fitting a crime, but still an act of vandalism on other people's property.

Too bad she didn't have a piece of paper around.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Did ya catch that story a few days ago about 4 fifth-graders having sex in front of all their classmates while the teacher was out of the room for a while (and another classmate acted as a 'lookout' to warn them if the teacher was coming back)?
        I'm not sure if I feel or if I feel so I guess I'll just stick with

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

How about the 6 year old, autistic kid, who attacked the Spec. Ed teacher at my daughter's school. He has a restraining order against him now, and is not allowed back at the school until after the hearing.

This is the kind of violence that has no place in the public school system. And I will be lobbying Monday AM early for the removal of the child from any and all presence at the school, as I would for any violent child, be they Special Ed. or Mentally Gifted Minors. Culling the herd is the most beneficial thing you can do for all the students who are behaving themselves.

Special Education is a fine and noble endeavor. But any hint of violence or anti-social behavior rooted in physical harm has no place in the public school system.

If you want the violent children in the public schools, then I say we bring back the paddle as a compromise. Or maybe I'm just brainwashed into believing that civil behavior should be expected.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            How about the 6 year old, autistic kid, who attacked the Spec. Ed teacher at my daughter's school. He has a restraining order against him now, and is not allowed back at the school until after the hearing.

This is the kind of violence that has no place in the public school system. And I will be lobbying Monday AM early for the removal of the child from any and all presence at the school, as I would for any violent child, be they Special Ed. or Mentally Gifted Minors. Culling the herd is the most beneficial thing you can do for all the students who are behaving themselves.

Special Education is a fine and noble endeavor. But any hint of violence or anti-social behavior rooted in physical harm has no place in the public school system.

If you want the violent children in the public schools, then I say we bring back the paddle as a compromise. Or maybe I'm just brainwashed into believing that civil behavior should be expected.
            I hope you're going to "lobby" against the school and not against the child.

I spent last week with my 8 year old nephew who, in addition to Angelman's Syndrome and a form of epilepsy, has autistic behavior. He cannot speak. He acts impulsively. When unhappy he acts out in a physical manner. While on the small side of average size for 8 he is incredibly strong. He cannot help his behavior as his brain short circuits constantly. Spencer's in a school that caters to special needs children where he receives wonderful help. I cannot imagine him in a public school setting. It would not be a healthy atmosphere for him.

I hope the special needs child in your daughter's school can find appropriate schooling but, somehow I doubt it's available in Kona. Please cut the child some slack and take issue with the school system. This situation is not the child's fault.

"There but for the grace of God...", Tim...

Comment

How big was this 6-year-old kid that an adult couldn't somehow control him?

And as Tutusue suggests, if the teacher can't take it and/or control the child, then perhaps there's something wrong with the school.

As for the kid who scribbled on the desk, make her scrub clean ALL the desks for a week. Whatever happened to creativity in finding a fitting punishment?

Then again, I remember two kids in the 4th or 5th grade (this was around 1965) who got punished for tapping on a pair of drums in our classroom after having been told to stop.

The teacher had them strap on the drums and march around the playground to humiliate them.

In five minutes these two guys had a parade of other kids following them around the school yard while they played some pretty cool-sounding rhythms!

So much for trying to humiliate them!

Comment

I wonder what the punishment would be for sticking gum (or boogers) underneath the tabletop?
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The right finger! I have worked with special ed children and often it was a pain, I was bitten, slapped and spat on but weren't these kids there because they needed help? I didn't even know you could ask for a restraining order against a kid (and in special ed too!). You live and learn. I'm off to beat grandma or something.

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                  I wonder what the punishment would be for sticking gum (or boogers) underneath the tabletop?

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    How big was this 6-year-old kid that an adult couldn't somehow control him?

And as Tutusue suggests, if the teacher can't take it and/or control the child, then perhaps there's something wrong with the school.[...]
                    It's not easy for one adult to control even a 6 year old in that situation. When my nephew had a meltdown last week it took 2, and at one point 3, of us to contain him. His brain may not be strong but his body sure is.
                    Originally posted by reineke View Post
                    [...]I have worked with special ed children and often it was a pain, I was bitten, slapped and spat on but weren't these kids there because they needed help? I didn't even know you could ask for a restraining order against a kid (and in special ed too!). You live and learn. I'm off to beat grandma or something.
                    The behavior you described comes with the territory. It takes a very special person to become a special ed teacher. My nephew's teacher accompanied him and his mom to Hawaii as he's too much for one person to handle. I was stunned by the capabilities and compassion of this young, 26 year old woman. Every special needs child should have a "Karen" in his/her life.

I don't know the circumstances behind the incident Tim referred to. My guess is the child is in a public school because there's no other alternative and he does have a right to an education. It's then up to the school to supply an appropriately trained teacher and a safe area for the child as over stimulation can be a major problem. Other children should not be put in harms way.

I feel strongly that had Spencer not begun the special education he's currently enrolled in, he'd be tied in a wheelchair, drooling, while "parked" in a hallway of some institution right now. Instead, with intense intervention, he comprehends what he's hearing, he can 'sign' a few words, he uses some body language to communicate, he has the cutest sense of humor (including the "incident" at the Oceanarium!), he's fairly adept at feeding himself...with emphasis on "fairly"...he can walk, he's extremely sociable (but not always socially acceptable) and he absolutely oozes love. His anti-social behavior includes biting, hitting, tantrums and throwing things. It's up to the adults in his life to be aware of his limitations and just...be...prepared. His mom and his teacher/caretaker do a magnificent job of that. When they were at the beach with a meltdown in progress, a couple of local beach boys assisted without being asked. One took Spence out for a surfing lesson! Jeez...talk about Aloha!

A restraining order against a 6 year old seems extreme but, again, I'm not aware of the circumstances. Still, compassion for this child seems more appropriate than lobbying for having him expelled from school. Maybe "lobby" for appropriate facilities and teachers for special needs children. Parents with so-called "normal" children in this school need to show a little Aloha...methinks!

Comment

What happens to kids like Spencer when he grows up and his parents die?
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                        What happens to kids like Spencer when he grows up and his parents die?
                        I'm sure you can ask 10 different special needs families that question and get 10 different answers. In Spencer's case his teacher/caretaker will become his guardian. I don't know how long that agreement is for. Sometimes a family member takes over. Other times they're placed in group homes or institutions. Finding a solution is never easy.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          "There but for the grace of God...", Tim...
                          And so many fail to realize that we, our children, our loved ones are but a nano-second away from being cast away from that benevolent grace of God.

A traumatic brain injury can render any of us or our children uncontrollable and horrendously impulsive. At best merely embarrassing, at worst frighteningly dangerous.

Compassion, Tim. It's worth practicing. You might find yourself hoping to be a recipient someday.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                            And so many fail to realize that we, our children, our loved ones are but a nano-second away from being cast away from that benevolent grace of God.

A traumatic brain injury can render any of us or our children uncontrollable and horrendously impulsive. At best merely embarrassing, at worst frighteningly dangerous.

Compassion, Tim. It's worth practicing. You might find yourself hoping to be a recipient someday.
                            I had a wonderful education in the world of mental illness when a good friend was diagnosed as schizophrenic.

It took all the fear away and brought me to a whole new level of understanding a lot about people otherwise loosely classified as "looney" or "bats". For them, there's a different reality.

And then for a moment I wondered, what if they're experiencing an unfiltered version of reality? In which case they're not crazy. We're just lucky to be blind.

Comment

when I was in school the punishment would have been in the realms of.....

Comment

Working...
                              X