Solo Ants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Ants

All my life I have had a pretty good relationship with ants. Occasionally, they would come inside and I could put out bait traps. They usually left or died in a few days. Sometimes, they would get into food, but mostly they just a visual annoyance.

Now, I have these ants that are biting me! The bites usually happen when they get stuck under me and cannot get out. The thing is, they itch for days! No pain at all associated with the bite. They look just like their harmless cousins--small, and dark brown. They don't travel in trails, but solo. Never see more than one at a time. Usually they fall on me from the ceiling. I look up and can't see any more. I check the ceiling every night before I get in bed--never see them. Yet almost everynight, I get a new bite. How can I fight these bastages when I can never see them!

Anybody have any good ideas?

Re: Solo Ants

As soon as my honey comes home, I'll show him your post.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ever thought of fogging (a.k.a. "bombing") the place? Far more effective than bait traps or spot-treatment aerosol insecticides, and fairly reasonable at under $10 for a 3-pack.

We had a slight ant and German roach problem one time in our condo. Ever since I fogged our unit over 5 years ago, barely a bug has returned. Just one of those black moths that fly in every once in a while (the dearly departed visiting). Then again, we're over 10 floors up, so that helps.

It helps to be neat too. No sloppy trails of food, crumbs, spilled juice, etc. anywere. Not that I'm saying you're not. Just saying.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Perhaps those little beggars are what is known as "Little Fire Ants". They are an invasive species that are currently only found on Kauai and the Big Island. Instructions posted on the Dept. of Agriculture site about the ant ask that anyone spotting these ants on Kauai should call HDOA in Lïhu‘e at 274-3069 so that inspectors can come out and try to eradicate the pests before they spread further on Kauai and possibly to other islands. There are also instructions posted on how to trap some of the critters so they can be identified by the DOA.

And if your skin is irritated by the ant bites, this article from the Advertiser suggests using Chinese mustard or yellow hotdog mustard to relieve the sting.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

When I was in Hawaii Kai some years ago, I remember having a problem with small ants (I remember them as black, but perhaps they were dark brown). They bit; I suppose the sting was relatively mild. I can't even remember what I did. I'm only telling this story because it sounds as if I had little fire ants, but they weren't in Kauai or Big Island.

Comment

He neba come home yet...maybe he fighting ANTS?

...or dee ANTS got him?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              He neba come home yet...maybe he fighting ANTS?

...or dee ANTS got him?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

I for one welcome our ant overlords!

Comment

Use Protein Ant Baits.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

We have ants that bite. Mild sting, but no itching---just the initial auwe, the subsequent smashing of the ant, and no more.

Are you sure these are ants? Fleas, maybe? Flea bites are a bitch, and the itching does last for days.

Damn. Hawaii needs a killing frost.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                    We have ants that bite. Mild sting, but no itching---just the initial auwe, the subsequent smashing of the ant, and no more.[...]
                    I'm amazed by the intensity of the sting in comparison to the size of the ant! Pain-wise, yes, mild but, still...those are really small ants!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I'm amazed by the intensity of the sting in comparison to the size of the ant! Pain-wise, yes, mild but, still...those are really small ants!
                      Yeah, dammit. And what gets me is that you rarely even feel them UNTIL they bite.

I mean, how do they get to that spot behind your knee or at the inside of your elbow without you noticing??

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                        I mean, how do they get to that spot behind your knee or at the inside of your elbow without you noticing??
                        In two words; "ninja ants".

Comment

Someone once told me about a good ant remedy.

Mix some yeast with molasses, put it on a piece of cardboard, and set it out in the problem area. Supposedly they bring the molasses back to the nest, everyone feasts on it, then the yeast expands in the little guys and they explode.

I don't know, it makes sense. I've never tried it, but this person said it worked great.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I thought all ants bite. Every ant I have in Oregon bites!
                            Plus those little red fire ants bite and it stings
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Sounds like glaber; they send out "soldiers" on recon, even at night.

Try here
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X