PDA

View Full Version : Solo Ants

alohatim
April 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
All my life I have had a pretty good relationship with ants. Occasionally, they would come inside and I could put out bait traps. They usually left or died in a few days. Sometimes, they would get into food, but mostly they just a visual annoyance.

Now, I have these ants that are biting me! The bites usually happen when they get stuck under me and cannot get out. The thing is, they itch for days! No pain at all associated with the bite. They look just like their harmless cousins--small, and dark brown. They don't travel in trails, but solo. Never see more than one at a time. Usually they fall on me from the ceiling. I look up and can't see any more. I check the ceiling every night before I get in bed--never see them. Yet almost everynight, I get a new bite. How can I fight these bastages when I can never see them!

Anybody have any good ideas?

1stwahine
April 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
As soon as my honey comes home, I'll show him your post.:D

Auntie Lynn

Pomai
April 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Ever thought of fogging (http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fogger/) (a.k.a. "bombing") the place? Far more effective than bait traps or spot-treatment aerosol insecticides, and fairly reasonable at under $10 for a 3-pack.

We had a slight ant and German roach problem one time in our condo. Ever since I fogged our unit over 5 years ago, barely a bug has returned. Just one of those black moths that fly in every once in a while (the dearly departed visiting). Then again, we're over 10 floors up, so that helps.

It helps to be neat too. No sloppy trails of food, crumbs, spilled juice, etc. anywere. Not that I'm saying you're not. Just saying. ;)

Miulang
April 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Perhaps those little beggars are what is known as "Little Fire Ants (http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/ants/Wasmannia/IP-16.pdf)". They are an invasive species that are currently only found on Kauai and the Big Island. Instructions posted on the Dept. of Agriculture site about the ant ask that anyone spotting these ants on Kauai should call HDOA in Lhue at 274-3069 so that inspectors can come out and try to eradicate the pests before they spread further on Kauai and possibly to other islands. There are also instructions posted on how to trap some of the critters so they can be identified by the DOA.

And if your skin is irritated by the ant bites, this article (http://hotspots.honoluluadvertiser.com/spot/2005/localremedies) from the Advertiser suggests using Chinese mustard or yellow hotdog mustard to relieve the sting.

Miulang

Vanguard
April 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
When I was in Hawaii Kai some years ago, I remember having a problem with small ants (I remember them as black, but perhaps they were dark brown). They bit; I suppose the sting was relatively mild. I can't even remember what I did. I'm only telling this story because it sounds as if I had little fire ants, but they weren't in Kauai or Big Island.

1stwahine
April 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
He neba come home yet...maybe he fighting ANTS?:confused: :eek:

...or dee ANTS got him?:p

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Vanguard
April 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM
He neba come home yet...maybe he fighting ANTS?

...or dee ANTS got him?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3001/hailantslg5.jpg

I for one welcome our ant overlords!

1stwahine
April 9th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Use Protein Ant Baits.

Auntie Lynn

WindwardOahuRN
April 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
We have ants that bite. Mild sting, but no itching---just the initial auwe, the subsequent smashing of the ant, and no more.

Are you sure these are ants? Fleas, maybe? Flea bites are a bitch, and the itching does last for days.

Damn. Hawaii needs a killing frost.

tutusue
April 9th, 2007, 10:02 PM
We have ants that bite. Mild sting, but no itching---just the initial auwe, the subsequent smashing of the ant, and no more.[...]
I'm amazed by the intensity of the sting in comparison to the size of the ant! Pain-wise, yes, mild but, still...those are really small ants!

WindwardOahuRN
April 9th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I'm amazed by the intensity of the sting in comparison to the size of the ant! Pain-wise, yes, mild but, still...those are really small ants!

Yeah, dammit. And what gets me is that you rarely even feel them UNTIL they bite.

I mean, how do they get to that spot behind your knee or at the inside of your elbow without you noticing??

Vanguard
April 10th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I mean, how do they get to that spot behind your knee or at the inside of your elbow without you noticing??

In two words; "ninja ants".

tikiyaki
April 10th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Someone once told me about a good ant remedy.

Mix some yeast with molasses, put it on a piece of cardboard, and set it out in the problem area. Supposedly they bring the molasses back to the nest, everyone feasts on it, then the yeast expands in the little guys and they explode.

I don't know, it makes sense. I've never tried it, but this person said it worked great.

blueyecicle
April 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I thought all ants bite. Every ant I have in Oregon bites!
Plus those little red fire ants bite and it stings:mad:

buzz1941
April 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Sounds like glaber; they send out "soldiers" on recon, even at night.

Try here (http://www.hear.org/alienspeciesinhawaii/ants/index.html)

Leo Lakio
April 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Someone once told me about a good ant remedy.

Mix some yeast with molasses, put it on a piece of cardboard, and set it out in the problem area. Supposedly they bring the molasses back to the nest, everyone feasts on it, then the yeast expands in the little guys and they explode.

I don't know, it makes sense. I've never tried it, but this person said it worked great.We use a home-made mixture of water, sugar and boric acid on a different kind of ants, but a warning about these kinds of remedies --- don't use them if you have any pets or small children that might eat the poison baits; the sweet aspect (sugar, molasses) can make them irresistable.

alohatim
April 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all the great tips and links. Funny thing--I usually don't feel the bite, just the itch. Once, one got caught in my waistband and I felt a pinch but it only lasted for a second.

I was surprised to see so many biting species. It is surprising that a guy so small can bite. My ant would fall into the 1/8th inch category. They definately are night foragers. I could bomb the room but i suspect they may be coming in through a vented skylight (right above our bed). I am not sure where an effective place to put bait would be since they are all single foragers. Maybe on the roof outside the skylight.

Thanks again for all the tips!