Don Imus, the racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Imus, the racist?

Don Imus is like Howard Stern lite? Anybody every listen to the old guy?

Does my nappy head of hair qualify me to be offended?

Is racism yesterdays news, to be brought up by whomever feels offended under whatever circumstance they deem plausible?

Is it possible to be offended without actually being a racist yourself?

Do you think skin color, or the pedigree of your parents actually matters?

Can we get some guidelines on when it is appropriate to use the word HO? Perhaps Snoop Dog could write them. Or his ho's.

All in all, this is gonna turn out similar to the Abercrombie thread, I'm sure. The laughs are just never ending.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Don Imus, the racist?

I really have no position on this; I mean, it's pretty dumb what Imus said, but I respect his right to say whatever he wants, and as long as there's an audience, it doesn't bother me in the least. I won't listen to it, but that's my right, too.

In all the fury I've seen over the past few days, one of the most reasoned and well-written responses is from Mike Wilbon, one half of the best show on TV: ESPN's Pardon the Interruption. Whether you agree with Wilbon or not, you have to admit that his take is intelligent, gracefully written, and well-supported. I consider myself to be a good writer, and I think I write better than most sports columnists, but only in my dreams do I write as well as Wilbon.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Last night, there was this HBO Comedy special called .....oh well I don't remember.

P Diddy, or Puffy, or Puff Daddy, or whatever the hell his name is this week, was the host. Many funny comedians. I laughed hardest at the comedians telling the white jokes. They were so right on the money. My wife was cracking up at one part, about white husbands. It was all true.

Then I saw the Rutgers BBall team today on the news. 1/2 of them had their hair conked. So what the hell is Imus really talkin about?

PS - The last couple of weeks have been amazing. I have come to the realization that I truly know nothing about race, racism, separatism, or ethnic egomania. With the Abercrombie thread, and the Imus laughs, perhaps I am learning more about how to become a better racist. Thanks Everybody.
      Last edited by timkona; April 10, 2007, 07:35 PM. Reason: PS
      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

It is ironic that when a white anybody tells a black joke he's racist. But when a black comedian tells a white joke, it's comedy.

So if a man demeans a woman he's sexist. And when the woman being targetted responds by demeaning that man, she's the hero.

Okay in both cases the receivers were the victims, however two wrongs don't make a right and both would be considered out of line with their comments.

Moot point. Both got their sexist digs into each other, it's over get on with life.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Don Imus is like Howard Stern lite? Anybody every listen to the old guy?
          NO. He couldn't shine Howard Stern's shoes. Howard is not a rcist. Many of his fans are, but he's not. If Howard was a racist, his right hand lady who happens to be black, Robin Quivers, would not still be with him for over 20 years.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Can we get some guidelines on when it is appropriate to use the word HO?
            Guidelines for you and Imus are simple. Never. Snoop, at his own risk.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
              If Howard was a racist, his right hand lady who happens to be black, Robin Quivers, would not still be with him for over 20 years.
              You know, I've been thinking about this since I first read it during breakfast, and I'm not sure that's true. I've asked myself if I'd work for a racist for twenty years, and although that certainly wouldn't be my preference, I think I could.

See, the thing that bugs me about this whole Imus thing (and ages ago, the Adam Carolla thing we discussed to death at HawaiiStories) is that the people who are crying out for tolerance are the people demanding that Imus be fired. Tolerance, it seems, is only offered to those people like-minded enough to tolerate others. But don't you see that this isn't tolerance? If you're going to say you practice tolerance, you've GOT to extend it to people whose beliefs and practices are SO different from yours that they disagree about tolerance.

Advocates for tolerance tolerate everyone but the intolerant. What kind of tolerance is that?

I am related to people who have a bit of a racist streak in them. I don't particularly like that part of them, but I don't love them less. They're my family. I have friends -- very close friends -- who dislike the Christian church and its members so much that it's a wonder we're friends at all. There are people like that on HT. It doesn't make me love them (my friends) any less.

Imus is an idiot. But he's got to be given the room to say what he wants as long as he's not violating anyone's rights. And if we really want a world where tolerance is the norm and not the exception, we've got to extend it to those people who hold the most reprehensible of opinions and who express them in the vilest ways. Otherwise we don't really believe in tolerance.

I don't know Robin well enough to know whether or not she could work closely with someone who hates a particular race, but I don't think I'd rule it out.
              Last edited by scrivener; April 11, 2007, 06:45 AM. Reason: "I want to hear it...I don't have to fear it..."
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think that it is just dumb to say anything that is remotely intolerant when it comes to race, regardless of the persons celebrity status, or any Joe blow.

It really makes me rethink why people put some of these people on pedestals, when in fact, they are ignorant, hateful people. What is to learn from someone like that?

In this day and age, it should be known that you do not makes remarks like that, I though it was common sense. I would love to see a day where race is not an issue, but there is still too much disdain to allow that, that being said, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Hate is NOT a family value.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

(in a booming fatherly tone) >>>>

SCRIVENER !!!! Young Man, you apologize right now. You know it's not nice to point out cognitive dissonance or faulty logic on the part of leftist politics. You cut that out right now, or I will wash your mouth out with a bar of soap. Now say you're sorry.

(walks away grumbling and muttering....thought i raised a good boy...did all i could lord....he should know better than that....it's all my fault...that's his mothers side of the family coming out...hope this doesn't get out)

FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I saw part of the press conference with the Rutgers women's basketball team. One thing almost everybody is forgetting (except for the team members, it seems) is the SEXIST part of the equation. I agree with the Rutgers women that they were DOUBLY insulted. As one of the team members so eloquently put it (paraphrasing), "I am not a 'ho, unless the definition of 'ho has been changed to mean someone who is intelligent and honorable". As a white man, Imus is just projecting the classic stereotypical notion of what a black woman is. If he was just being racist, he probably wouldn't have used the term 'ho.

All women in this country are still treated as second class citizens by the majority of men---and it doesn't matter what their skin tone is. Women still lag behind in economic outcomes even as they form the majority of single parent families and owners of small businesses. If this country can't even get beyond the gender inequality, how can we ever expect to successfully address and deal with the race issue?

I think people like Rev. Sharpton are being a little too strident in their protest, since they are only basing their protests on the racial question. The Rutgers women are exhibiting far more maturity than many of those who are speaking on their behalf. They will listen to what Imus has to say next week and then pass judgement on him. Already 3 of Imus' sponsors have withdrawn advertising sponsorship of his program because of his outburst, so he may de facto have to take more than a 2 week hiatus.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; April 11, 2007, 07:57 AM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Majority? Really? 51%?
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

One citation:
                        Ninety percent of single-parent families are headed by females. Not surprisingly, single mothers with dependent children have the highest rate of poverty across all demographic groups (Olson & Banyard, 1993). Approximately 60 percent of U.S. children living in mother-only families are impoverished, compared with only 11 percent of two-parent families. The rate of poverty is even higher in African-American single-parent families, in which two out of every three children are poor.
                        And some trivia from the US Census about women in this country.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          All women in this country are still treated as second class citizens by the majority of men
                          And your sources for that amazing and highly questionable conclusion are... ?

As for Don Imus, nobody seems to have mentioned yet the possibility that this whole episode might be a marketing ploy to bolster sagging ratings, along the lines of the "Any publicity is good publicity" school of thinking.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

We're talking in terms of earning power, Lika. And is the US Census good enough for you?

Earnings
                            $31,223
                            The median annual earnings of women ages 15 and older who worked full time, year-round in 2004. After adjusting for inflation, earnings for these women declined by 1 percent between 2003 and 2004. <http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html>

77 cents
                            The amount women age 15 and older, who worked full time, year-round, earned for every $1 their male counterparts earned in 2004. This amount is up from 76 cents for every dollar in 2003. <http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html>

91 cents
                            The amount women in the District of Columbia, who worked full time, year-round, earned for every $1 their male counterparts earned in 2004. D.C. led all states or state equivalents in this category. <http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html>

$56,585
                            Median earnings of women working in computer and mathematical jobs, the highest for women among the 22 major occupational groups. Among these groups, women’s earnings as a percentage of men’s earnings were about 90 percent or higher in installation, maintenance and repair; community and social services; construction and extraction (such as those drilling for oil); and healthcare support.
                            <http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html>
                            Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              One citation (...) And some trivia from the US Census about women in this country.
                              Neither of those "citations" support your comment that "All women in this country are still treated as second class citizens by the majority of men".
                              It is sources proving that claim that Scrivener and I (and presumably others) are seeking.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X