Best Hawaiian honey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Hawaiian honey

Could someone please recommend some Hawaiian gourmet honey? It doesn't have to be "gourmet" either as long as it's local and good. I also need help with a "famous" New Zealand Maori honey that was recommended to me a while back. I forgot the name of the honey and who recommended it but it was supposed to be out of this world good. Ahem I'd sure like to try that. I'll figure out how to get it by myself but if someone knows of a good online food place I'm all ears. Also, where do you buy it locally? I realize it's a lot of questions A few brand names would suffice. Thanks!
    Last edited by reineke; April 13, 2007, 09:23 AM.

Re: Best Hawaiian honey

Probably the best locally produced honey I have ever had was made from coffee blossoms. Second best was made from lehua blossoms.

The coffee flower honey is produced in extremely limited quantities. The place I found it at was the Maui Swapmeet from a vendor named Stellarbeans. I don't remember where the woman co-owner of the business bought the honey from, but I bet if you wrote her, she could tell you the source.

Perhaps the New Zealand honey was from Comvita? I have a bottle of dynamite New Zealand multiflora honey which is extremely tasty and smells wonderful. Got it from Whole Foods.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2007, 09:33 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks, I'll print out this whole thread later. No, the Kiwi name was very different but all honey is yummy so it's good to know. I only found out very recently about the sweet connection between Hawaii, New Zealand and honey. I was also quite (pleasantly) surprised when I learned about pork etc.

Comment

Best Hawaiian Honey? I'm looking at myself in the mirror as I type.

Comment

Can't say which would be the best, but most local markets carries somekind of pre-bottled local honey. Places like Down to Earth sells local honey by volume. They usually have at least 2 types in stock.

Comment

Also if you happen to find "Miel de Raiatea or Miel à la Vanille de Tahiti" from the island of Raiatea in French Polynesia, that is another very good type to add to your collection. (I know you didn't ask about Tahitian honey, but if you are a collectin...)
            n'importe

Comment

AHA!!! Me thinks he's stocking up before that bee mite problem comes to a head. Good idea.

Comment

Lol I ain't collectin' I'm eatin'.

Great suggestion about Tahitian honey. I guess I'll just shop around for the local varieties.

I wonder if the New Zealand one was Manuka honey? Sounds familiar, and it's supposed to be very good for you so I'll just add it to the list

Comment

Active Manuka honey is a variety that's touted to have some curative properties (besides tasting good!)

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You must consider Volcano Island Honey, it's organic white honey and so luscious. There is the regular honey and they also have some with lilikoi, lehua and ginger. They even make candles from the bees' wax. Volcano Island Honey. BTW, National Geographic proclaimed it some of the best honey in the world.

Comment

speaking of Hawaiian Honey, I was in Safeway on Beretania today and noticed Haagen Dazs has a new flavor called Hawaiian Lehua Honey and Sweet Cream . They had quite a few new flavors in thier "reserve" line. Dont' know if it's just for a short time or if it's permanent, but s ome of them sound quite interesting.. (toasted coconut sesame brittle or pomegranate and dark chocolate..)

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/reserve/
                      n'importe

Comment

Working...
                      X