Fun 'n Games Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun 'n Games Memories

Watching an old Crayon Shinchan episode involving a tickle contest, it sparked memories of the various games we played while growing up.

We never had tickle contests (the object being who laughs first) as Shinnosuke and Kazama had. Staring contest, yeah.

Here's a starting list of of fun 'n games from my childhood memories...
    • Sky Inning - The strategy is to self-bat the ball up a slightly inclined road, then place your bat on the road, perpendicular to the opponents. The opponents attempt to catch the ball in the air to out you, then becoming their turn to bat. Otherwise, they roll the ball down the road in bowling fashion, aiming at the bat. When the rolling ball hits the bat, it bounces up, and you, as the batter, must catch it in air. If you don't, you're out, and that person is next to bat.
    • Marco Polo - At the time, our house in Kaneohe was the only one on the block with a swimming pool. One of the games we played in there was Marco Polo.. Basically a blindfolded, pool-bound hide and seek. While talking about pool games, another one we did was jump on the boogie board and "surf it" into the deep end. Almost cracked my skull on the edge of the concrete deck how many times doing that.
    • Sister Scares Brother - This was my older sister's game. when I was really young (like under 7 years old), she would turn off the hallway lights, hide in the linen closet, then jump out, scream and scare the crap outta' me as I walked by to go to my room. Especially effective after a scary movie. Damned it.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Fun 'n Games Memories

wow, sky inning sounds really fun.

i remarked to some friends about the old fun factory in pearl ridge, and how i loved the 'shooting gallery' they had. to my chagrin, no one remembers it...
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
      i remarked to some friends about the old fun factory in pearl ridge, and how i loved the 'shooting gallery' they had. to my chagrin, no one remembers it...

I just found some Fun Factory prize tickets, a strip of them, from 1986. Wonder if they'd still let me redeem them? Maybe if I smile li dis... Found a token as well. I loved Fun Factory Pearl Ridge but I don't remember the shooting gallery. Probably wasn't my choice thing to do back when I used to go anyway. lol.
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        [*]Sky Inning - The strategy is to self-bat the ball up a slightly inclined road, then place your bat on the road, perpendicular to the opponents. The opponents attempt to catch the ball in the air to out you, then becoming their turn to bat. Otherwise, they roll the ball down the road in bowling fashion, aiming at the bat. When the rolling ball hits the bat, it bounces up, and you, as the batter, must catch it in air. If you don't, you're out, and that person is next to bat.
        It's funny this game was mentioned, as I saw two youths playing a varation of it just yesterday in a park not far from me. I played a variation of this game in my youth with what friends I had down in Ka'u, except we didn't incorporate the catching the rolled ball bouncing off of the bat for an out. We merely rolled, threw, or bowled the ball along the ground, (after fielding it) usually from outfield to home plate distances. If the ball hit the bat, the batter was out and had to take the field. From some odd reason, we called the game "Roll the Bat".

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
          It's funny this game was mentioned, as I saw two youths playing a varation of it just yesterday in a park not far from me. I played a variation of this game in my youth with what friends I had down in Ka'u, except we didn't incorporate the catching the rolled ball bouncing off of the bat for an out. We merely rolled, threw, or bowled the ball along the ground, (after fielding it) usually from outfield to home plate distances. If the ball hit the bat, the batter was out and had to take the field. From some odd reason, we called the game "Roll the Bat".
          It's not even a Google-able (is that a word?) game name either. Go figure. What the heck is the "technical name" for "Sky Inning"!?

Samoa (some more) games we played...
          • Shambattle - a rogue variant of Dodgeball
          • Rough Take - throw candy in the air, let it fall to the ground, then rush in a first-come, first-serve throwdown.... after a few cracks from other rough takers.
          • Rubbah Slippah Baseball - Exactly as said. It's baseball. Except you use rubbah slippahz for the bases.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Discussed many times before, but can't forget that first Atari Video Game System. Pong. lol

We also wasted away hours after school at the Kaneohe Farrells playing Space Invader, Pac Man, Galaxian and Asteroid.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Discussed many times before, but can't forget that first Atari Video Game System. Pong. lol

We also wasted away hours after school at the Kaneohe Farrells playing Space Invader, Pac Man, Galaxian and Asteroid.
              Remember Dragon's Lair and Space Ace? I wonder why those laser disk games never caught on?
              Attached Files
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Building ramps for our bikes was a big game. Had the perfect place to do it.

Pear fights, from tree to tree, at the end of the season. A sticky delight.

Building various floating things to play with in the creek.

Building damns in any creek.

I remember when Asteroids started. I was an expert at Robotron and Centipede. And I spent a lot of money on Defender. Ahh, the good ol'days.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

• Sky Inning
                  Ahhh the memories. Sky Inning... that's what it was? Makes sense now. I always thought it was "we go play sky eeny!" I too played the version where the one fielding the hit ball would roll it to the bat on the ground and the hitter had to catch the ball off the bat.

If the ball was hit really deep... we allowed one relay... but the guy on the other end better not drop the ball!

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                    Ahhh the memories. Sky Inning... that's what it was? Makes sense now. I always thought it was "we go play sky eeny!" I too played the version where the one fielding the hit ball would roll it to the bat on the ground and the hitter had to catch the ball off the bat.

If the ball was hit really deep... we allowed one relay... but the guy on the other end better not drop the ball!
                    Hehe...we played the same game but called it "sky hini".

We liked playing...."smear da queer" you know, the game where you toss a football in the air and a brave soul catches it and runs for his life. The object of the game is to tackle the guy with the ball and then pile on top of him. Our version of the game deviated a little. Instead of tossing the ball in the air, we'd throw it at the person we liked the least and everybody would rush um.

We also like to play doo doo ball. It's kind of like tag with a ball. We'd rub a volleyball in dog's doo doo and then the person who was "it" would try to bean the other people with the ball as they ran away.

Any of you guys remember playing "pier side"?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      wow, sky inning sounds really fun.

I remember. It was right by the door you come in from the parking lot. The gallery was just across from the bumper cars. It was 20 shots for 2 tokens and you would get the tokens back if you made all the shots. I liked shooting the skull cause it would laugh at you when you hit it. Later it returned tickets instead of your tokens. Did I say bumper cars? LOL
                      You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

I've asked my Honolulu/Oahu friends about why SKY INNING is named so. None of them have been able to explain why.

On the Big Island, we played the same game called STRIKE-O-CATCH, with the same basic rules of play:

1) one batter, everyone else are fielders;
                        2) batter strikes the ball and if a fielder CATCHES it on the fly, he becomes the new batter;
                        3) if the ball is fielded on the ground, the batter lays the bat on the ground and the fielder tries to STRIKE the bat by rolling or throwing the ball at it. If the ball contacts the bat, the batter is "out" and the fielder becomes the new batter unless the batter CATCHES the ball in the air after the bat is contacted;
                        4) the ball must be hit toward the general vicinity of the fielders. If not, it is a "foul" and constitutes a "strike," the same as a "swing-and-a-miss;"
                        5) if a batter "STRIKES out" (three strikes), the batter turns his back to the fielders and throws the ball over his head toward the fielders. If a fielder CATCHES it on the fly, he becomes the new batter (see #2 above);
                        6) if the ball is not caught on the fly, see #3 above).
                        7) on a ball which is not caught, but retrieved at a long distance, a fielder can "relay" the ball to a cut-off man, who will then attempt to STRIKE the bat as in #2 above. The relay to the cut-off man must be caught on the fly for it to be valid. If successful, the original fielder becomes the batter.

It seems that our term, STRIKE-O-CATCH, sensibly described the game. At least more than SKY INNING. You either "strike" the bat or "catch" the ball to change batters.

Rules for this game and other "small-kid-time" pastimes varied from island to island, and often among communities and districts on the same island. I could really get going on marble games. For example, while most of Oahu calls the big marbles BAMBOOCHAS, there are pockets in central Honolulu where the term BAMBOOLAS is recognized. Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island have their own variations, most with little connection with the Oahu terms.

Then, there's the SHAVE ICE vs. ICE SHAVE controversy, but that's another thread!

Comment

• Duck Duck Goose - the old faithful. I went to pick up my sick niece from school and saw a bunch of 2nd graders playing and it made me smile.
                          • Chinese Jump Rope - why it's called 'CHINESE'...I have yet to learn why. I was the queen of "HIGH JUMP"
                          • Red Rover - never gets old
                          • Dodgeball - ever got a bunch of 'adults' together and played drunken dodgeball at night? Fun you know.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

LOL, u guys bringing back some ole school yard games. Yeah I rememba SKY HINI, lol. Oh and another name for da other game was called "rough and tumble" where the person that holds the ball or slippah gets creamed, oh what fun times. Den u got Chase Masta or Sham Battle and the ever popular Hide and go Seek. Oh and rememba how long we could spin one book on your finger, lol.

Comment

You guys need to listen to Darlene Ahuna's "Pa`ani Kamali`i" now, about small-kid games.

Comment

Working...
                              X