Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visitor to Oahu - Restaurant List - Comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor to Oahu - Restaurant List - Comments?

Hi all!

I originally PM'd Pomai as I read his blog and love his food posts to ask about my restaurant list for when my son (17) & I visit for the month of July. He gave me some insight to my list and suggested I post here, to get everyone's views. So, here it is! I am sure we probably won't get to all of them, though I want to! I've got my reservations all done for lots of them too! I've been researching in my down time since Sept. 06 (when I booked our trip) and think I'm finally all done!

Fine Dining:
    • Ocean House @ Outrigger Reef
    • Top of Waikiki for early bird Sunset Special
    • Alan Wong's King Street (For budget reasons, I had to give up 2 others for this, so I gave up his other one: The Pineapple Room & also Musashi @ the Hyatt (from Pomai's review). I just figured I will be disappointed if I don't try the "real experience" of Alan Wong's). Will probably do the "Tasting Menu".
    • Roy's Restaurant @ the new Waikiki Beach Walk
    • Hy's Steakhouse (I actually went to lunch @ Hy's here yesterday for my first time. I have to admit I was totally underwhelmed, so I'm hoping it's better for dinner in Waikiki! I also went to that Oldies 107.9 website last Friday and managed to get a $100 gift certificate for $50, so that helps, though looking at the menu, it'll probably be a $200 night!! We did Ruth Chris' last visit and I wasn't impressed with that either! I am still searching for the ultimate Steakhouse experience...)

Sunday Brunches:
    • Orchids @ The Halekulani
    • Shorebird @ Outrigger Reef (We loved dinner here on our last visit!)
    • Banyan Veranda @ Sheraton Moana Surfrider
    • Sam Choy's Diamond Head

Others:
    • Ono Hawaiian Foods
    • California Pizza Kitchen (I don't do chains usually unless we don't have them here where I live, and we don't have this one. We don't have a Cheesecake Factory either but tried that last visit).
    • Hula Grill @ Outrigger on the Beach (We went to Duke's twice last visit & possibly will still go again, but I thought we should try something different!)
    • Zippy's!
    • Ryan's Grill @ Ward Center for their early bird special
    • Sidestreet Inn
    • Teddy's Bigger Burgers
    • Waiola Bakery for a Shave Ice
    • Leonard's Bakery for Malasadas
    • Rainbow Drive Inn
    • Oceanarium (King Crab leg night!)
    • Holokai Grill @ new Waikiki Beach Walk

Wondering if anyone knows if this Shrimp Truck is still here? Someone wrote a review about it on another board, and I don't think it's that easy to visit a shrimp truck on the North Shore by bus:

Blue Water Shrimp & Seafood Co.- between Launiu and Kaiolu on Kuhio

Thanks to any comments you may have to offer! . We won't be driving but will get a monthly bus pass for our visit!

Re: Visitor to Oahu - Restaurant List - Comments?

I'd add these! Happy grinding!

ETA: I'd also add under fine dining, the Bali By the Sea at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Comment

There's several suggestions I gave that you missed in your list here.

(Sort of) Fine Dining

Blu Water Grill - Hawaii Kai
      Assagio - Hawaii Kai
      - A note on Roy's if you head out to Hawaii Kai: order a bunch of appetizers instead just one entree. It's a better value and such an ono variety of samplings.

Buffet
      Makino Chiya - Aloha Tower
      Pagoda - Pagoda Hotel (near Ala Moana Center)
      The Willows - Moili'ili area (near Star Market)

Other

Big City Diner - Ward Entertainment Center

High five to Side Street Inn (in your list) about 4pm. You'll be in like flynn with the local grinds. Awesome. Or, if you're not that adventurous for the "hole in the wall local grindz" experience, your listing of Zippy's is tried and true. Something for everyone (such as your son), at a fair price.

For Hawaiian food, you can't get better than Ono Hawaiian Food (also on your list) on Kapahulu Avenue, just a short walk from the East end of Waikiki. Way more authentic and genuine than any "touristy luau" at the hotels. Make sure you order Poi. At least try it! Sprinkle some Hawaiian salt on the Kalua Pig and eat it, then chase it with poi. Lomi Salmon, then Poi. Laulau, then Poi. Das' how.

While in Waikiki, Teddy's is great for burgers, but don't forget Duke's too. The perfect "tourist-meets-local" experience. The (mostly pacific rim) food is consistently excellent. Go on Sunday when Henry Kapono is playing. One of the best gigs in the state.

Tutusue's suggestion for Keo's (fine Thai cuisine) is also an excellent choice, or you might also want to consider Nick's Fish Market, right across the street (my dyslexic girlfriend always call them "Fish Nick's Market" lol).

All the places above have been consistently great, having no complaint on my visits.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have nothing to offer, yet, but I am gonna kep a close eye on this thread! This is gonna answer a lot of questions!
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          I'd add these! Happy grinding!

ETA: I'd also add under fine dining, the Bali By the Sea at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Tutusue: Thanks, I really like the look of La Mariana Sailing Club, though I'm not sure where that is! Nor, how easy that is to reach by TheBus! I did look at Bali's by the Sea too...the "Fine Dining" stuff is really hard to choose, because I want to do them all! But...alas, can't afford to do them all!!! We have a condo and I'm supposed to try & save money by cooking this trip, but I've almost got a restaurant for every day!!! P.S. I love your "avatar" if that's what it's called. I always smile when I see a post by you!

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          There's several suggestions I gave that you missed in your list here.

(Sort of) Fine Dining

Blu Water Grill - Hawaii Kai
          Assagio - Hawaii Kai
          - A note on Roy's if you head out to Hawaii Kai: order a bunch of appetizers instead just one entree. It's a better value and such an ono variety of samplings.

Buffet
          Makino Chiya - Aloha Tower
          Pagoda - Pagoda Hotel (near Ala Moana Center)
          The Willows - Moili'ili area (near Star Market)

Pomai, you did give me your 3 buffet thoughts, but not BlueWater Grill which looks excellent! I wasn't trying to say that my list is "your list", but just what I had finally come up with! I hope my post did not come off that way! I have been trading restaurant choices since I started planning the trip...only depending on my mood & the day! . I haven't switched any for a couple of weeks now, so I consider I'm done...well, sorta, unless others convince me otherwise! I did research the 3 buffet's you sent me, but like I said, we have so much Japanese food here, as well as Thai, Asian everything! that I eat all the time, I'm not sure that's what I want to experience when in Oahu... I really want to try things that aren't available to us locally.

I DO appreciate the comments from you all! Thank you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            [...]The Willows - Moili'ili area (near Star Market)[...]
            OMG...how did I forget The Willows? It's right up there for ambiance with La Mariana...in a different sorta way, of course...altho' The Willows' food is much better.

And, for a seafood buffet extravaganza, there's Todai, across Ala Moana from the HHV. Speaking of Todai...where's Surfingfarmboy? Haven't seen him hanging out on HT recently!

Dayam...I sure miss the Tahitian Lanai!

Comment

Waikiki Eats:

There's a new place in Waikiki called Mac 24-7, which a few friends had favorable experiences.

That article also mentions Wailana Coffee Shop and Eggs 'N Things. Proven breakfast champs.

A note on grocery shopping, you can get market-comparable prices at the Food Pantry (owned by Foodland) in Waikiki if you buy the items on sale. There's one on Kuhio ave. and Kanekapolei st. (across an Outrigger hotel), and another Food Pantry on Ena Road (look for 7-11 on the Ewa end, turn left and walk/drive down the street, then turn right). Otherwise, a trip to Don Quijote or Walmart/Sam's Club just 5 minutes away is worth it.

If you like great food and even greater beer, do check out the new Yard House at Waikiki Beach Walk on Lewer's street. There's also many more exciting new places to try at that location.

Just out of Waiks...

Nothing is more local than the lunchwagon plate lunch. With that, check out Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon during weekday lunch hour. It's a red wagon, usually with a long line of loyal customers, parked on the Diamond Head-side corner of Ward Avenue and Queen street. Roast Pork and Chow Fun. Oh yeah.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh gosh. There's so many other ethnic greats Honolulu has to offer. I'm pulling my taste buds out just thinking about it!

Not naming specific places, but do try...
                • Manapua and Pork Hash (Chinese)
                • Spam Musubi (East-meets-West)
                • Kal Bi (Korean barbecue short ribs)
                • Fresh Ahi Poke (raw, cubed yellowfin tuna, Hawaiian & asian influence)
                • Shave Ice (Chinese/Japanese origins)

If you're super-ethnically adventurous, check out Bautista's Filipino Kitchen in the Waikiki International Marketplace. The Dinuguan (pig's blood stew) and Pork Guisantes is awesome!

You'll be here during peak mango season, so look out for locally grown stuff in the market while here. Or, I can hook you up with some super-sweet Pirie from our yard! Pickled Mango. Shoyu Mango. *Mouth waters*

There's way more that others here might suggest.
                Last edited by Pomai; April 14, 2007, 12:23 PM.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                X