Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha 'Oe, Don Ho: 1930-2007

Hawai'i music legend Don Ho dies
    Don Ho, said those who knew him best, wouldn't have understood what all the fuss was about. Ho, who died Saturday of heart failure at age 76, was the pop-culture face of Hawai'i.
    Last edited by admin; April 14, 2007, 07:34 PM. Reason: Updated link, added excerpt.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Aloha 'Oe, Don Ho: 1930-2007

That's sooo sad! Condolences to all of his ohana. He was truly one of the great showmen of Hawai'i. At least he had another 2 pretty productive years after he underwent that stem cell treatment in Thailand in 2005.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

That is sad indeed. My heart goes out to his 'ohana during this hard time. RIP.
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

That's a wrap, Don! RIP.

This is certainly the end of an era. I'm sure his send-off will be a doozy. My condolences to his family.

Comment

Condolence and aloha.

Uncle Don lived a full life. Not sad. My dad passed about the same age and he lived a full life too.

I imagine uncle Don's funeral is going to be HUGE. Probably bigger than Braddah Iz.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Just heard this over the radio (KRTR). My heart is heavy with sadness.

My condolences to family and close friends of Don Ho.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I wasn't born yet when this episode aired, but the first time I heard of Don Ho was that Brady Bunch episode where he and Uncle Sam Kapu meet Bobby and Cindy and then sing "Sweet Someone".

"Don Who?"

"Don HO."

One of my fondest childhood memories was going to see him play at the old Hilton Dome.

Until next time, Don Ho. You shall be missed.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

As the news begins to circulate around the internet...

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=114&sid=1115664
                http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266127,00.html
                http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_104200712.html
                http://www.spokesmanreview.com/ap/st...P_ID=D8OGMR3O0
                http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/a...ho_dies_at_76/
                http://www.koat.com/news/11979543/detail.html

...this list will grow exponentially as minutes and hours proceed.

I don't know if I can bare to watch tonight's local news. Pass me the box of Kleenex.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  I wasn't born yet when this episode aired, but the first time I heard of Don Ho was that Brady Bunch episode where he and Uncle Sam Kapu meet Bobby and Cindy and then sing "Sweet Someone".

"Don Who?"

"Don HO."

One of my fondest childhood memories was going to see him play at the old Hilton Dome.

Until next time, Don Ho. You shall be missed.

eh wasn't he also in a episode of SANFORD and SON?

The son & father vacationing in Hawaii (Oahu that is) stumbles into one of his shows and I know its was DON HO.....

Thanks for the memories and your signature song lives on

Comment

As is the case with so many classic icons, more people knew him as a caricature than as the talented performer he was. And to many non-Islanders, he simply WAS "Hawaiian music." Many of you in Hawai`i were fortunate to know the depth of his talent, something the rest of us did not see unless we did a little more exploration.

Aloha `oe.

Comment

OMG!!!! I just heard....

Rest in peace Don Ho!

I'll Remember You!

Lynn Vasquez and Ohana
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was driving around this morning, doing stuff, and had a mystery urge to sing while driving. Of all things — "Pearly Shells"

Don was a great guy. He actually came to hear my band once or twice and gave excellent advice. He encouraged my songwriting and asked me to write a song for him, which I did. His secret agenda was to get me to think outside the box. It worked. A very smart and generous man who pretended to take it easy.

Had fun doing an interview with him some time ago. One of my favorites.

Here's a little tribute as well
                        Last edited by buzz1941; April 14, 2007, 04:36 PM.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

He will surely be missed! RIP Don!

I love his music....have his CD's and listen to his tapes on my way to work in the mornings. His song Pearly Shells always brings back memories of learning the hula.....
                          Last edited by EastCoastTropics; April 14, 2007, 04:54 PM.
                          Lovena

Comment

I was very sorry to hear about Don Ho's passing. My prayers to for him and his family.

As a much younger person, I remember seeing programs in Waikiki for live Don Ho concerts -- I never did see him perform, and now I am so sorry that I never took that chance.

Comment

Working...
                            X