Pulitzer Prizes announced today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulitzer Prizes announced today

(from THE NEW YORK TIMES) The Pulitzer Prizes were announced on Monday. Following are the winners in Letters, Drama and Music.

FICTION: 'The Road,' by Cormac McCarthy
    The subject of Cormac McCarthy’s new novel is as big as it gets: the end of the civilized world, the dying of life on the planet and the spectacle of it all.

GENERAL NONFICTION: 'The Looming Tower,' by Lawrence Wright
    Lawrence Wright offers a detailed, heart-stopping account of the events leading up to 9/11, carried along by villains and heroes that only a crime novelist could dream up.

BIOGRAPHY: 'The Most Famous Man in America: The Biography of Henry Ward Beecher,' by Debby Applegate
    The Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, an eloquent champion of abolition and woman suffrage, became a celebrity of a far less exalted kind as a result of a sex scandal.

HISTORY: 'The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation,' by Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff
    After ignoring the story for years, the news media came to play a major role in the struggle for civil rights.

POETRY: 'Native Guard,' by Natasha Trethewey
    In her introduction to Trethewey's book "Domestic Work," Rita Dove said, "Trethewey eschews the Polaroid instant, choosing to render the unsuspecting yearnings and tremulous hopes that accompany our most private thoughts."

DRAMA: 'Rabbit Hole,' by David Lindsay-Abaire
    This wrenching play by David Lindsay-Abaire includes some of the most revealingly nuanced acting to be seen on a stage or screen this year.

MUSIC: 'Sound Grammar,' by Ornette Coleman
    This breathtaking concert recording captures the alto saxophonist and his quartet at the height of their humanistic powers.

SPECIAL CITATIONS: Ray Bradbury and John Coltrane

Re: Pulitzer Prizes announced today

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    FICTION: 'The Road,' by Cormac McCarthy
    The subject of Cormac McCarthy’s new novel is as big as it gets: the end of the civilized world, the dying of life on the planet and the spectacle of it all.
    Forget about WHAT a Cormac McCarthy book is about. What matters is HOW it is about it. McCarthy is one of the most distinct living writers, with a style easily recognizable as his. I am a big fan of his, 'though I haven't yet read The Road, which is the current Oprah Winfrey selection. Yay for Cormac. His All the Pretty Horses won the National Book Award in 1992 (or thereabouts) and his Border Trilogy was selected as one of the greatest books of the past twenty-five years in a survey conducted by the NY Times Book Review.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
    X