Have you ever owned shoe trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever owned shoe trees?

Hello. I'm reading aloud to my students the excellent and funny A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony. As you know, Anthony has a fondness for bad puns (one year, his Christmas cards had harpies on the front and "harpy holidays" on the inside), and in the first chapter of this first installment of the Xanth series is a description of how the main character had plucked his shoes fresh from a shoe tree.

My students didn't get the joke, because they didn't know what a shoe tree is.

So my question, dear friends, is whether or not you've ever owned a shoe tree. I never have, but I do have a good pair of shoes that would benefit from them, so I have often considered it.
    Yes!
    65.00%
    No!
    35.00%
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Have you ever owned shoe trees?

Once you try to get the luau feet into a pair of shoes, you find out what a shoe tree is.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

those things are too cost-prohibitive to keep around. Plus, who does "seasonal shoes" in Hawaii? Wear em until they wear out, is what I see.

pax

Comment

Having revealed my shoe obsession on this site before, I feel comfortable saying that shoe trees are essential to maintaining my most treasured footwear. The dearly beloved has become a shoe tree user due to my influence.

Comment

I'm not wearing my expensive, lovely, fairly uncomfortable, black leather shoes unless I have to look that good: At our school's proms, at graduations, and at weddings. I don't hope to have to make a purchase like this again for a long time, so I'd like to keep them as nice (and ready) as possible for as long as I can.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
            The dearly beloved has become a shoe tree user due to my influence.
            Are you referring to your man or to your shoes?
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              those things are too cost-prohibitive to keep around.
              Very affordable at Ross!

Comment

I've seen one at my grandparents house
                808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Are you referring to your man or to your shoes?
                  Silly! Wait, let me think...

BTW, you really should put shoe trees into those lovely and expensive leather shoes. Get the ones made from cedar, not the plastic ones.

Comment

Very affordable at Ross!
                    do tell, Gloss. How much does a pair go for, can you recall?

Good thread, btw.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      do tell, Gloss. How much does a pair go for, can you recall?

Good thread, btw.
                      I believe the last pair of shoe trees purchased cost less than $5 and that was for the good cedar ones. I have a hard time finding shoes that fit properly and meet my style standards (don't even ask!). I also refuse to pay full retail for anything so I scrounge Ross, Nordstrom Rack and Off 5th for expensive shoes at hugely discounted prices. So, when I find a pair, I take care of them. I have a pair of gorgeous Manolo Blanik suede pumps that I've owned for more than 10 years - they retailed for $795 and I got them for $35! Happy dance just thinking about it! I think I'll go admire them now.

Comment

I have a pair of shoe trees that I use with my nice leather-soled fancy blacks. I only wear those babies when I'm all duded up, because I paid $100+ for this pair and my regular activities would scuff 'em up in a day. In fact, I usually keep them in the original shoebox I bought 'em in, and only take 'em out for weddings, funerals, nights out on the town, etc.

For daily wear, I have a pair of nonskid rubber-sole black oxfords from Payless Shoe Source.

Comment

Shoe trees, huh? I remember my dad using 'em but I haven't found a pair that fit my Croc flip flops...yet! Glossyp? Keep me in mind during your next shoparamarellathon, 'kay?!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            Hello. I'm reading aloud to my students the excellent and funny A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony. As you know, Anthony has a fondness for bad puns (one year, his Christmas cards had harpies on the front and "harpy holidays" on the inside), and in the first chapter of this first installment of the Xanth series is a description of how the main character had plucked his shoes fresh from a shoe tree.

My students didn't get the joke, because they didn't know what a shoe tree is.

So my question, dear friends, is whether or not you've ever owned a shoe tree. I never have, but I do have a good pair of shoes that would benefit from them, so I have often considered it.
                            yeah, if you're used to mostly slippers or sandals or adjustable sport shoes, as many in hawaii are, you'd likely never seen a shoe tree.

scriv, thumbs up for choosing that book! i loved reading it and the sequels when i was in grade/intermediate school. anthony is a very good writer both on the simple pun level and in terms of philosophical issues. i also loved "on a pale horse" and its sequels.

i should mention that i learned some pretty good insults from anthony, as well!

I believe the last pair of shoe trees purchased cost less than $5 and that was for the good cedar ones. I have a hard time finding shoes that fit properly and meet my style standards (don't even ask!). I also refuse to pay full retail for anything so I scrounge Ross, Nordstrom Rack and Off 5th for expensive shoes at hugely discounted prices. So, when I find a pair, I take care of them. I have a pair of gorgeous Manolo Blanik suede pumps that I've owned for more than 10 years - they retailed for $795 and I got them for $35! Happy dance just thinking about it! I think I'll go admire them now.

i am soooooo jealous about the manolo blahniks. thanks for the tip on where to buy--i was just thinking a week ago that i need some.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

We used to wear boots and I personally owned at least 8 pairs. Noconas, Dan Posts and such. In the course of this love affair with cowboy boots, we managed to wrangle one antique set of shoe trees from ebay and found another nice wooden set at a local Goodwill store. As cowboy boots go, the wide designation in the size does not mean it'll fit luau feet well, especially for long periods of time. The shoe trees came in mighty handy.

Come to think of it, I did send one pair to a professional shoe repair person for sizing, early on. He slipped them on a set of shoe trees. Both sets that we now own costed less than 1/2 of what I paid for the stretching.

We no longer have the boots, but we still have our beloved shoe trees. My wife has 2 pairs of Prada shoes that are just on the snug side. When the opportunity arises for her to wear them, it'll spend the night before with a set of shoe trees in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X