Feedback on Craftsman tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on Craftsman tools

Anyone used Craftsman tools on a regular basis? Any feedback? Better to invest in other tools like Dewalt or Makita instead? TIA

Re: Feedback on Craftsman tools

What kind of tools? Screwdrivers? Hammers? Pliers? Toolboxes?

Comment

Guess that would help.

Sorry, was thinking more of power tools, a power drill and a miter saw.

Comment

Well....they are cheap.
        Unfortunately, I've owned cheaper that was better.
        Hand tools are great and Sears will honor all lifetime warranty returns on wrenches, ratchets and screwdrivers. It don't work with their power tools.

Btw, I've been using a Black and Decker cordless drill for the past 4 years with no problems. I like the "bayonet" style chuck and the torque limiter for running screws and such.

I've owned Craftsman power tools in the past and they all felt....flimsy, for lack of a better word and all of them fell apart to some degree within a short time. I'm talking saber saws, circular saws, hand sanders and drill motors.

If you can afford them, yeah, Makita, Dewalt, Bosch and others are your best bet for the investment.

Comment

Appreciate the input. Yeah, I noticed Craftsman power tools were on average, cheaper. Thus I wanted to find out if they are a bang for the buck or better to invest a little more and get a higher quality tool. Sounds like avoiding Craftsman is better if I want tools that last.

Comment

I have had a Black a Decker cordless drill for 5 years. Never a problem!

But I have a weird story....Craftsman are warrantied for life...I used to know this old farmer he must have been 80.(4 years ago)
            Well he had this very old Craftsman tool....at least 50 years old.
            It broke...I wish I could remember exaclty what it was....
            anyways, he took it to Sears and they don't make them anymore they only make newer electric ones...it was some kind of hand driven heavy duty drill....

So they gave him a brand spankin new one after 50 years of use! Because it broke..
            Can't beat a warranty like that!!
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Like the Rolling Eye said, the warranty is on the hand tools.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                I have had a Black a Decker cordless drill for 5 years. Never a problem!

But I have a weird story....Craftsman are warrantied for life...I used to know this old farmer he must have been 80.(4 years ago)
                Well he had this very old Craftsman tool....at least 50 years old.
                It broke...I wish I could remember exaclty what it was....
                anyways, he took it to Sears and they don't make them anymore they only make newer electric ones...it was some kind of hand driven heavy duty drill....

So they gave him a brand spankin new one after 50 years of use! Because it broke..
                Can't beat a warranty like that!!
                Hmmm. That's interesting. Sure would like to see what it was.

I came into possesion of some very old Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchets. 3 of them, all rusty and none worked properly. 2 were at least 50 yrs. old. Took them down to Sears and the young man helping me laughed and said he'd never seen ratchets like these before. Told him they were more than twice his age. I now have 3 shiny, refurbished 1/2" drive ratchets that work. Also a couple of brand new 3/8" drive ratchets that I had bought some 25 years ago.

Sears is great about the warranty. No questions. Just tell them what's up and they'll tell you to go look for the brand new replacements. Sure do wish that lifetime warranty was good on their power tools as well.

Btw, if you have Craftsman screwdrivers, any type, that are chipped or rounded, they will exchange them for new ones. My whole screwdriver set is now brand new also. I be one happy grumpy old fut.

Comment

I know I wish I could remember. ....He had used it to fix his tractor for many years it was a huge piece. But I can't for the life of me think of what it was.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I shelled out $25 the other weekend for a Craftsman screwdriver because I saw a coworker with it. Its very nice.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

For handtools, Craftsman are #1, no question about it. The compressors are bullet proof also.

For small cordless power tools, I buy DrillMastr 18v from Harbor Freight.

For larger corded power tools, I like the DeWalt Compound Miter Saw, I like a Milwaukee Sawzall, I like the Makita Cordless Imact Driver for drywall screws and repetitive work like that, a Senco Nailgun, and the trusty old Mag 77 for cutting.. Bosch tools break. So do Porter Cable tools. Hitachi Nail Guns are notorious "double pumpers". Even saw a guy put a nail through his thumb with a Hitachi Gun. Overall, if I had to choose 1 brand, it would be DeWalt.

You gotta break a lot of tools to be as heavy of an expert as I am at the various tools.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The only powered Craftsman tool I have is my 33 gal compressor. Like said, the warranty on the hand tools is unbeatable. Other than that, the powered tools are Crapsman. My wife bought me a Craftsman router that I've used once...she thinks I use it all the time but she doesnt know that I bought a Porter Cable one to really use .

To Josh: DeWalt for drills and cordlesses, Hitachi or DeWalt for miter saws. Just my opinion.

Comment

We ended up at Kmart this evening, so I stopped by the tools and checked out the Craftsman power tools. I gotta admit, the new stuff looks good. The feel and heft rival the better brands. The don't feel like plastic toys anymore. I checked out the power drills and reciprocating saws. Nice. The miter saw also seemed pretty solid. All are made in China, so you might want to shop around for American made tools if that makes a difference for you.

To be honest, the new cordless drills seemed more solidly made than the B&D I was boasting about.

Comment

my husband has had 75% of his tools for longer than he has known me. Back when he was young, single, gainfully employed and living at home with his folks, he developed a passion for Snap-On tools. I am glad he bought it then, when he didn't have bills, and always have admired at such a good "youthful obsession" to develop. His tools are well-used and in perfect shape.

The only other brand of tools he will spend a penny on is Craftsman. Quality!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              For handtools, Craftsman are #1, no question about it. The compressors are bullet proof also.

For small cordless power tools, I buy DrillMastr 18v from Harbor Freight.

For larger corded power tools, I like the DeWalt Compound Miter Saw, I like a Milwaukee Sawzall, I like the Makita Cordless Imact Driver for drywall screws and repetitive work like that, a Senco Nailgun, and the trusty old Mag 77 for cutting.. Bosch tools break. So do Porter Cable tools. Hitachi Nail Guns are notorious "double pumpers". Even saw a guy put a nail through his thumb with a Hitachi Gun. Overall, if I had to choose 1 brand, it would be DeWalt.

You gotta break a lot of tools to be as heavy of an expert as I am at the various tools.

For those interested in free lifetime service plans, you may want to consider the Ridgid line of power tools. Ridgid will also replacetheir cordless tool batteries for life. Yeah...for life. If the battery goes bad even after five years, ten years...whatever years, Ridgid will replace it...FREE under their lifetime service agreement which also is free of charge.

Dewalt is manufactured by Black and Decker and is considered B&D's upscale line of tools.

Hitachi is considered one of the best when it comes to framing pneumatic nailers.

As for impact drivers, Yes Makita is the way to go, now with the 18v Lithium Ion battery packs. These batteries are about the same size and heft as the older Makita 12v cordless impacts but have longer run times and higher power outputs. Lithium Ion also loves to be topped off unlike other types of rechargables.

Milwaukee Sawzall...one of the best if not the best, but if you want cordless reciprocating saw power, get the Dewalt 18volt cordless reciprocating saw. I used one and was able to cut 60-feet of 3/4" galvanized pipe into 14" sections on one battery. Dewalt 18v batteries have long run times

Skill also makes the Mag 77 and is a great 7-1/4"circular saw

Regarding Craftsman power tools, remember, they do not manufacture their own tools, they typically will have a manufacturer place their names on another brand name.

In the TV Sitcom Home Improvement, Tim Allen in real life has begun marketing his own line of power tools sold exclusively at Sears under the Home Improvement label. Those tools are actually Ryobi power tools re-labelled. Ryobi is built all over the world but here in the USA, it is built in the Ridgid plant I think in Cincinatti.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X