A Question on Chants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question on Chants

In our public schools in Hawaii in Hawaiian studies programs K-12 , they often teach children Hawaiian songs and chants. Although I have no objection to it, can chants be considered religious? Are they made to Hawaiian Gods? If they are, do teaching them violate the separation of church and state? I ask because it has come up as a question from a student at our school. I notice when you try to research chants on a DOE computer a block comes up as a religious webpage and can't be viewed. So the DOE doesn't approve , but teaches it.

What do you think HT?
    Last edited by alohabear; April 20, 2007, 08:43 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: A Question on Chants

It depends on exactly what material you're talking about. Just because something is in Hawaiian doesn't mean that it automatically makes reference to the gods. That's like saying that all English-language songs are Christian.

And even if there are religious elements to a chant, it depends on the context in which it is taught. Are students being taught, for example, that a chant about how Maui raised up the islands from the sea bottom with his mighty fish hook, is about a documented historical fact? Or is it presented as a poetic story?

This is like the issue with studying the Bible in public schools: treating it as The Truth is one thing; treating it as an important literary text of huge cultural and historical significance is something else entirely.

Comment

Many chants are like oral documentaries of historical events, similar to epic poems of Greco-Roman cultures, and not necessarily religious.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Many chants are like oral documentaries of historical events, similar to epic poems of Greco-Roman cultures, and not necessarily religious.
        I understand .So if it's a chant for Pele or some other god, it may not actually be religious ,but a story. Thanks
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          I understand .So if it's a chant for Pele or some other god, it may not actually be religious ,but a story. Thanks
          I was referring more specifically to chants that honor battles or other significant events in the lives of ali`i, or recite the geneaology of families.

Comment

One can be spiritual without being religious, which is how I believe the early, pre-Christian contact kanaka maoli were. Once the kanaka maoli were introduced to the Christian religion, some aspects of their lives, including hula, ended up changing to be more religious. The kanaka maoli have always been very spiritual.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X