Local Bakeries' Twist-Tie Color-Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Bakeries' Twist-Tie Color-Codes

Hello. I'm sure you know that you can tell from the color the twist-tie (or sack-clip) what day of the week a loaf of bread was baked on. When I worked at a mom-and-pops in Hilo, I knew which colors corresponded with which days of the week for the local brand, but I don't remember them.

I'd love to know what the codes are for the bakeries on Oahu. Anyone have the info? I'm mostly concerned with sliced sandwich bread.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Local Bakeries' Twist-Tie Color-Codes

They do the same thing with poi....uh, sorry can't help you. I tried asking a sales clerk at Marukai and she couldn't get it straight either.

Comment

If that info is turned public, won't bakeries catch on when specific people buy certain breads?
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I just looik for the color that's all the way on the back of the shelf....that's usually the freshest.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          I just looik for the color that's all the way on the back of the shelf....that's usually the freshest.
          What if......all the loaves are lined up side by side. Seriously, I've seen them stacked like this. Then what? Left side, right side?

Comment

Don't some of the tabs have dates on them? Scriv, maybe you (or a student project) could visit a store for a few weeks to determine the pattern. Do they still have outlet stores selling the older stuff? Maybe someone there could provide you the info?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
              What if......all the loaves are lined up side by side. Seriously, I've seen them stacked like this. Then what? Left side, right side?
              Oh, what I meant was, whichever color is in the front, you find the stuff in the back that is a different color, and squeeze that one, It's usually softer.

Supermarkets rotate the stock, always putting the oldest stuff in front....same goes for Milk.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Not sure if this applies locally. Hope this helps.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/breadtag.asp

Comment

Just got back from Marukai to buy bread since DQ didn't have any fresh bread in yet. We like the St. Germaines Family Bread, thin slice white. All this brand bread comes bagged and twist tied. While there, the delivery guy happened to show up with racks of fresh bread for the day. I asked him about the different colored twist ties and he said it means nothing as to how old the bread is. For them, the different colors are for the different types of bread, not when it was made. For the bread we like, they use white ties. In fact, I was there early so I grabbed whatever they had left which was at least day old. They all had white ties. At Marukai, they deliver fresh bread daily and I know that they do run out by the late afternoon on most days.

SO, for this brand of bread, anyway, it doesn't matter.

Btw, I remember asking a Loves Bakery delivery guy at Foodland one morning. He gave a really vague answer, making me believe he didn't want us consumers knowing exactly what the color code was.

Comment

Originally posted by lihingmui View Post
                    Not sure if this applies locally. Hope this helps.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/breadtag.asp
                    Interesting article, but I wouldn't put much faith into bread companies pulling bread after only 2 days. I've bought some pretty wasted bread more often than not from various markets including Safeway and Foodland. That's why I buy only the Japanese style bread that's sold at Marukai and Don Quijote.

Comment

I would think that the bakeries want their customers to get their product when it is at its best. The burden should be on the stores to move product quickly enough so that the consumers get good product. I mean, why put freshness dates on products if you don't want customers to be armed with knowledge?
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

One time at Safeway I found bread with ants in it and let the bakery people know...it wasn't the store's bread, but from one of the local big bakeries, and I felt it would be really a drag for the bakery and the store to have bags of bread full of ants in them. And then the press getting a hold of that! Although, you must admit, the protein count would be higher.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          One time at Safeway I found bread with ants in it and let the bakery people know...it wasn't the store's bread, but from one of the local big bakeries, and I felt it would be really a drag for the bakery and the store to have bags of bread full of ants in them. And then the press getting a hold of that! Although, you must admit, the protein count would be higher.
                          Akkk! Kinda like opening a loaf of whatcha thought was a whole grain bread only to find it's turned into 7 different shades of blue, green and grey and that actully wasn't the color brown you saw through the bag that says, white bread?

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                            I bet that bread would have been very crunchy.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Lucky you weren`t going for poppy seed.....
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                              X