Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we could have a professional team....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we could have a professional team....

If Hawaii could have a professional team, what sport would you like it to be? And do you think it's sustainable, meaning the business side, would it bring in enough dollars to justify it? Basketball? Football? Baseball? Hockey?

Re: If we could have a professional team....

every time I see the All-Blacks NZ rugby team, I wish and wonder what it would be like if we had one.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      every time I see the All-Blacks NZ rugby team, I wish and wonder what it would be like if we had one.
      Well, fans will probably barrack for the All-Blacks instead of root for them. Rooting has a completely different meaning in Australia and NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Well, fans will probably barrack for the All-Blacks instead of root for them. Rooting has a completely different meaning in Australia and NZ.
        LOL !!!!
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

If Hawaii could have a professional team, what sport would you like it to be? And do you think it's sustainable, meaning the business side, would it bring in enough dollars to justify it? Basketball? Football? Baseball? Hockey?
          IFL Battleground.

It's economical to travel with a small number of team members.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

We have had the HAWAII ISLANDERS (Pacific Coast League - Triple A baseball), HAWAII CHIEFS (American Basketball League - basketball), Hawaii VOLCANOS (Continental Basketball Association - minor league basketball), HAWAII LEIS (World Team Tennis), THE HAWAIIANS (World Football League), plus indoor football and soccer franchises. None lasted more than a few seasons except for the baseball Islanders.

Pro sports is a tough sell. We have a small market and expenses are prohibitive (e.g. travel and housing).

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
              We have had the HAWAII ISLANDERS (Pacific Coast League - Triple A baseball), HAWAII CHIEFS (American Basketball League - basketball), Hawaii VOLCANOS (Continental Basketball Association - minor league basketball), HAWAII LEIS (World Team Tennis), THE HAWAIIANS (World Football League), plus indoor football and soccer franchises. None lasted more than a few seasons except for the baseball Islanders.

Pro sports is a tough sell. We have a small market and expenses are prohibitive (e.g. travel and housing).
              Probably because when they see Hawaii as a vacation spot than a competitive franchise holder, they're not taking us seriously.

Comment

True but what about on the big time leagues? NFL? NBA? MLB? NHL? Last one be a stretch considering ice to Hawaii is like day to night. Especially since there was this talk of rebuilding/moving Aloha Stadium. It make more sense to have a professional big time team attached to it like the way the Staples Center in LA has the Lakers and the Clippers. Or like the McAfee Colisuem in Oakland has the A's and the Raiders while next door, Oracle Arena has the Golden State Warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  IFL Battleground.

It's economical to travel with a small number of team members.
                  We have a winner...

Comment

Baseball and basketball ....... too many games. NFL would be the only one with a chance, but Aloha Stadium at 50,000 is too small. They'd need to fill in the corners now that the stadium is locked in the football configuration to increase capacity.

The question remains: what owner or ownership group has the "deep pockets" to absorb and sustain losses for 4-5 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      The UH Haka thread was the first time my husband and I saw the NZ All-Blacks. He's always liked rugby as a sport but never knew too much about the teams. He was a casual watcher of rugby, liked to watch when it was on at the pub we go to. He's been learning more now and really digs the All-Blacks. Agreed that it would be cool if Hawai`i had a rugby team.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Baseball and basketball ....... too many games. NFL would be the only one with a chance, but Aloha Stadium at 50,000 is too small. They'd need to fill in the corners now that the stadium is locked in the football configuration to increase capacity.

The question remains: what owner or ownership group has the "deep pockets" to absorb and sustain losses for 4-5 years?
                        I would actually think basketball has a better chance. I could be wrong but I'm sure the NBA can attract more Hawaii fans than NFL? Wouldn't more games mean a better chance of sustaining the venue financially?

That's another question but I didn't want to delve into, just saying IF there were to be a professional team.

Comment

There is no way you can convince me that round-ball is more popular than the ol' pigskin in Hawaii.

More people in Hawaii watch football avidly than any other sport. At least I do. And how about the attendance at all the high school games and UH. Packed house most of the time at most venues, and when playoffs start, even more people.

Would take a logistics wizard to run a pro team for ANY sport in Hawaii.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            There is no way you can convince me that round-ball is more popular than the ol' pigskin in Hawaii.

More people in Hawaii watch football avidly than any other sport. At least I do. And how about the attendance at all the high school games and UH. Packed house most of the time at most venues, and when playoffs start, even more people.

Would take a logistics wizard to run a pro team for ANY sport in Hawaii.
                            Maybe but I don't know, just figured if you're trying to attract all demographics.

Why would you need a logistics wizard? Yes, flights are longer but nothing unreasonable in this day and age of jet travel.

Comment

Why would you need a logistics wizard? Yes, flights are longer but nothing unreasonable in this day and age of jet travel.
                              But can a local team owner afford to paying for the team's airline travels on away games?

At least those in the mainland have buses as alternative transportation.

Comment

Working...
                              X