Proshyai, Boris Nikolayevich!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proshyai, Boris Nikolayevich!

Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin was laid to rest today in Moscow. Yeltsin was the first democratically elected leader of Russia. He helped bring about many reforms for his countrymen, and yet he was not beloved by all. He and Bill Clinton had a mostly love (but sometimes testy) relationship while both were in office.

The ceremony was the first full Orthodox funeral for a Russian leader since the burial of Czar Alexander III in St. Petersburg in 1894.

The service and burial were attended by President Vladimir Putin, the Russian cabinet, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev and numerous foreign dignitaries, including former U.S. presidents Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush and Lech Walesa, the Polish trade unionist who, like Yeltsin, drove a stake into communism.

In the cathedral, a replica of one that was dynamited by Stalin and rebuilt under Yeltsin, the former president lay in an open casket. Mourners paid their respects to the family. Clinton, who had a close if occasionally turbulent relationship with Yeltsin, embraced Naina Yeltsin at length.
    Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 25, 2007, 12:54 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Proshyai, Boris Nikolayevich!

смотреть! лось и белка!

Sorry - that's about the extent of my Russian.
    Rough pronunciation: "smoo-TREE-cheh! Losch ee byee-EL-keh!"

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      смотреть! лось и белка!

Sorry - that's about the extent of my Russian.
      Rough pronunciation: "smoo-TREE-cheh! Losch ee byee-EL-keh!"
      leo, i think you meant:

смотрите! (verb "to look", imperative, and polite or plural form) and not смотреть! (verb "to look" in infinitive)

in other words, you meant to say:

Look! An elk and a squirrel! (i might be wrong on the translation--going off of very bad memory on my animals. the only animal i remember for sure how to say in russian is hedgehog--yozhik)

not

To look! An elk and a squirrel!

and i'd argue with you about how to pronounce that--soft sign after "c" does not a "sch" make bcs there is a letter that already represents the "sch" sound, and a soft sign actually indicates...kind of like a lisp at the end of the consonant sound it follows, so it's more a "loos" with the slightest "yuh" that's barely audible at the end instead of a "losch". i'd readily admit though that writing the pronunciation of russian in english is as hazardous as writing pidgin out...lots of argument fodder.

to yeltsin, i'd say:

до свидания, господин (yelstin). покойся с миром.

although i think the "pokoisya" is the impolite imperative, and not exactly appropriate given mr. yeltsin's position.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Ah - thank you! (I did say my Russian was extremely limited...)
        And it's supposed to mean "Look! Moose and Squirrel!"
        I say it better than I phoneticize, according to the friend who taught it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          (i might be wrong on the translation--going off of very bad memory on my animals. the only animal i remember for sure how to say in russian is hedgehog--yozhik)
          How about "korova" & "medved" - cow and bear?

Comment

?????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ?????????????????????????? ?????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ?????????????????????????? ?????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ?????????????????????????? ?????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ?????????????????????????? ?????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ?????????????????????????? ?????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ?????????????????????????? ?????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ??????????????????????????.

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              "Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."
              Vizzini is the shizznit.

Why isn't my spoiler working? lol
              Last edited by helen; April 25, 2007, 04:19 PM. Reason: fixing the spoiler that follows the quote
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                iocane powder, I'd bet my life on it.

pax

Comment

Vizzini is a wise man.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    iocane powder, I'd bet my life on it.
                    You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this, never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Comment

?????? ?? ??? ????? ?????????? ?? ? ? ????????? ? ??? ???????
                      Look who knows so much. Well, it just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

pax

Comment

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect...

*would be in a spoiler wrap but da buggah doesn't wanna work for me*

She is alive, or was an hour ago. If she is otherwise when I find her I shall be very put out.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                          Fixed it. Never place a spoiler after a quote. It never works (unless you add an indent tag to the spoiler).

Just wondering but what's with the Princess Bride quotes have to do with the death of Yeltsin? Was he a fan of the movie?

Comment

Eh Helen, how you fix da spoiler? It wasn't working for me again. When I came back to this thread I saw my old one worked and was like whoa man, it wen go fix itself, trippy! Then I noticed the edit note on it.

Comment

Nevermind my last post Helen, you answered my question.

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              Just wondering but what's with the Princess Bride quotes have to do with the death of Yeltsin? Was he a fan of the movie?
                              She started it and I can't help myself.

.....Anybody want a peanut?

I promise to stop now.

Comment

Working...
                              X