Alec Baldwin's Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alec Baldwin's Rant

What does everyone think about Alec Baldwin's rant on his daughter's cell phone voice mail?

I heard the whole thing on Larry King. At first, I thought he was a lousy jerk. Then, I remembered my Mom used to call me "you lazy pig", and give me "wait till we get home" threats. I survived. In fact, arguing with parents and siblings is great practice for the outside world.

On the other hand, it's a loooong rant... over such a little thing. If Baldwin treats his daughter like this all the time, it would be emotional abuse... probably needs some anger management.

Re: Alec Baldwin's Rant

Depends on how his daughter talks to him too. Each family dynamics is different so maybe the conversation may sound hostile, but it may be normal within that dynamic.

Comment

I just keep waiting for him to leave the country as he promised lo those many years ago. On the rant thing, maybe it was a bit lengthy, but I have no problem with parents telling their kids off when it's deserved. As nikki mentions, it's good training for the real world.

Comment

How he interacts with his child is not any business of mine & shouldn't be for any of the rest of us if we are not directly, personally involved in his family and/or household.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm gonna disagree with some of you. I, personally, feel name calling is unacceptable under any circumstances. It can have lasting and far reaching affects. The daughter is 11. The dad is...well, the dad. He needs to set a better example regardless if the daughter is a brat or not.

No parent should ever call his/her child a "pig"...never, ever, ever.

JMNSHO!!!

(Ow...ow...OUCH...I just fell off my soapbox!)

Comment

I wonder if Baldwin and Bassinger went through anything like Hawaii's Kids First Program? In Hawaii, all divorcing couples who have a child or children (the website says children between the ages of 6-18 although I thought it applied to all divorcing parents) are required to go through this program as part of the divorce process. It doesn't prevent all parents from using children to get back at each other or from tugging the child between the parents but it's a good program.

http://www.courts.state.hi.us/page_s...A6BA5F516.html

Comment

The choice words he used kinda involves his ex Kim Basinger.
              And remember when this audio got aired he backtracked and claimed he loves his daughter.
              The frustration and mommy telling doting daughter daddys evil got him ranting like that over the phone.
              Makes me wonder who submitted that to the media?

:looks at Kim:

Comment

Street angel, house devil.

Either way, the kid will lose because all that money that could be going for the child's betterment will be going to lawyers.

Comment

I wouldn't allow my husband to talk to my boys that way.
                  And never saying "thoughtless little pig", saying: "You don't have the brains or the decency of a human being".
                  What did she do that made her sub human?? :/
                  "You don't have the brains or the decency as a human being. I don't give a damn that you're 12 years old, or 11 years old, or that you're a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn't care about what you do as far as I'm concerned. You have humiliated me for the last time with this phone."
                  Pretty rough stuff. Specially for a young girl in her formulative years who need the unconditional love of a father for self esteem and self worth.
                  Instead she will think she is worthless and stupid.
                  Last edited by blueyecicle; April 26, 2007, 05:43 AM.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I'm gonna disagree with some of you. I, personally, feel name calling is unacceptable under any circumstances. It can have lasting and far reaching affects. The daughter is 11. The dad is...well, the dad. He needs to set a better example regardless if the daughter is a brat or not.

No parent should ever call his/her child a "pig"...never, ever, ever.

JMNSHO!!!

(Ow...ow...OUCH...I just fell off my soapbox!)
                    Sue, I agree with you about how a parent should/should not speak to their child. What I'm saying is that it is no business of mine how Baldwin spoke to his child (which would not have made the news were he not a celebrity). Yes, this was wrong & yes, it happens everyday. It is NOT headline, newsworthy. It is only my business how I speak to my own child, not how you speak to yours or how anyone else does. That was my point. Enough said on my part.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Because the media made this newsworthy only made it worse. If all our arguments with our kids were made public like this we would look like fools too.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        Sue, I agree with you about how a parent should/should not speak to their child. What I'm saying is that it is no business of mine how Baldwin spoke to his child (which would not have made the news were he not a celebrity). Yes, this was wrong & yes, it happens everyday. It is NOT headline, newsworthy. It is only my business how I speak to my own child, not how you speak to yours or how anyone else does. That was my point. Enough said on my part.
                        Fran, my reply had nothing to do with yours!!! I was writing mine while you posted yours so didn't see yours 'til mine was uploaded. You're right...it's none of our business. However, a thread was started to elicit responses. And that, afterall, is what HawaiiThreads is all about!

Comment

hmm...it isn't unusual for me to have dropped calls, calls that go straight to vmail even when I have "four bars", or playing phone tag with people (they call, I see they are calling, I push the button to answer, it blinks straight into my vmail which I don't realize, then I call back, and get their vmail). Technology isn't perfect, and to hear that message as an adult, would *piss me off* that the worst is being assumed because the failure to answer the call is attributed as ~my personal failure~.

This is how I heard AB's rant at his kid, who, at only 11 years old, isn't empowered to tell her father to "chill the hell out and get some perspective here!" As that kid, I would have burst into tears, then sit down and get big knots in my tummy at the part where he threatens to flyyy alll the way over there to straighten me out. If I was the mother, it would occur to me to that threat on the phone might be justification to release the voicemail, if only to keep AB in check from following through with that threat. Part of me wonders if this hasn't happened before.

pax

Comment

Judging from previous incidents like this one (that was inflicted upon an adult), I would say that Alec Baldwin is one cheetah who hasn't changed his spots.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This should not have been publicized but more people need to watch out for abuse to children.
                              When I see a woman smacking and screaming at her child in public (which I have seen on more than one occasion and I don't mean being upset and spanking I mean slapping and screaming at YOUNG children), I personally cannot stand there and watch it. I am forced to say something. Or call the police.

There is a difference between physical and verbal abuse, but to a child it all hurts the same.
                              I only wish people had paid attention when I was a child.
                              If everyone says it's none of my business than only the child gets hurt, and it probably won't stop.

But in AB case it should not have been publicized period. But the judge should have definitely heard it. AB is completely wrong and little off too.
                              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                              Sharing withother survivors...
                              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                              X