Best drain cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best drain cleaner?

I have a very slow draining bathroom sink in my office and am not willing to pay a plumber at this point as my office is moving in a little over a month. The slow down appears to be a bit of the way down as the initial water drains normally for a little while.

So, for you DIYers...which is best:
    Drano?
    Liquid Plumber?
    Sumthin' else?

And, yes, I realize the landlord should take care of the problem but by the time they do I'll already be outta there! And, since I've already given notice, there's no incentive for them to do anything about it. <sigh!> I'm looking for a temporary, less than ideal, cheap, laborless solution for a short amount of time!

TIA...

Re: Best drain cleaner?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I have a very slow draining bathroom sink in my office and am not willing to pay a plumber at this point as my office is moving in a little over a month. The slow down appears to be a bit of the way down as the initial water drains normally for a little while.

So, for you DIYers...which is best:
    Drano?
    Liquid Plumber?
    Sumthin' else?

And, yes, I realize the landlord should take care of the problem but by the time they do I'll already be outta there! And, since I've already given notice, there's no incentive for them to do anything about it. <sigh!> I'm looking for a temporary, less than ideal, cheap, laborless solution for a short amount of time!

TIA...
    Tutu, Liquid Plumber Power Jet. That thing is awesome, it blasted the clog away in seconds, like the commercial.

Comment

I tend to use Drano myself for my bathroom sink and tub.

Comment

Thanks you 2! I'm on my way to the store! Update at 10...tonight, that is!

Comment

Did you try a plunger? Run the water until it backs up until just visible at the drain level, then plunge (pump) it. Check for leaks around the P-trap under the sink after you do that.

As for chemical products, Liquid Plumr Foam Snake worked well for me on a stubborn (most likely from my girlfriend's long hair) clog a while ago.

I also maintain our pipes with DRAIN CARE enzyme build-up remover about every three months.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I never advocate the use of any chemical drain opener. NEVER EVER.

Where do you think all that caustic stuff goes after you clear your pipes? Some magical neverland where stuff simply vanishes into thin air?

It goes into our oceans where our friends the Honu and other aquatic animals live and breed.

We talk about protecting the Aina. We want to ban the super ferry because it will hit whales and bring invasive flora and fauna to distand lands. BUT we never give a second thought when we pour a chemical DESIGNED to melt hair into our toilets, where it all ends up.

This stuff is caustic!! The warning label explicitly tells us not to get it on our hands much less drink the stuff. It's an acid and we're dumping it in our oceans and waterways. You know the places where we fish and swim?

You want to keep your drains clear? Use a drain strainer to catch the hair and grease. Use a plunger to unclog the blockage. Passive measures work.

And when you're struggling with that plunger getting toilet water all over your clothes, use this mantra: I'm saving the Earth...I'm saving the Earth.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Go to City Mill and buy "Plumber One" it's a great product, very easy to use and clears most drains instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                Go to City Mill and buy "Plumber One" it's a great product, very easy to use and clears most drains instantly.

that's exactly what i was gonna say.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

That DRAIN CARE product I use to keep the pipes clear is a non-corrosive enzyme powder made primarily of dehydrated bacteria culture which is environmentally safe. It works, as we haven't had a clog in years.

Plunging, then if that doesn't work, snaking is usually my call for service. But if even my snake wont' get it, I'll try "Draino" as a last resort before calling a professional.

I know where you're coming from about da' aina. If everyone in Hawaii poured those harsh "Draino" chemicals down their drains, our shoreline ecosystem would surely be adversely affected.

Gosh, I don't even want to drive my car now. Thanks Craig.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  I never advocate the use of any chemical drain opener. NEVER EVER.

Where do you think all that caustic stuff goes after you clear your pipes? Some magical neverland where stuff simply vanishes into thin air?

It goes into our oceans where our friends the Honu and other aquatic animals live and breed.

We talk about protecting the Aina. We want to ban the super ferry because it will hit whales and bring invasive flora and fauna to distand lands. BUT we never give a second thought when we pour a chemical DESIGNED to melt hair into our toilets, where it all ends up.

This stuff is caustic!! The warning label explicitly tells us not to get it on our hands much less drink the stuff. It's an acid and we're dumping it in our oceans and waterways. You know the places where we fish and swim?

You want to keep your drains clear? Use a drain strainer to catch the hair and grease. Use a plunger to unclog the blockage. Passive measures work.

And when you're struggling with that plunger getting toilet water all over your clothes, use this mantra: I'm saving the Earth...I'm saving the Earth.
                  Last edited by Pomai; April 28, 2007, 01:04 PM.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                  X