Women still make less than men...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women still make less than men...

By studying the wages of men and women immediately out of college, one of the latest studies show that women still only make 77 cents for every dollar that men make in the same professions. And as time goes on, the disparity gets larger, with women only making about 69 cents for every dollar a man earns. When things like part time work or job sharing are factored in, there is still a 12 cent gap between men and women's salaries after 10 years in the workforce.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Women still make less than men...

Tell that to my husband....the new pressman (woman) they hired is making almost double what he is making right now.
    He makes 14.65 she makes 25.00 an hr to start! And she has not run a press in 8 years.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
      Tell that to my husband....the new pressman (woman) they hired is making almost double what he is making right now.
      He makes 14.65 she makes 25.00 an hr to start! And she has not run a press in 8 years.
      Well, there are always exceptions to the rule! Women in technical jobs tend to have closer parity to men's wages, but women traditionally have steered clear of those positions. Helps if you're in a union, too. But there is a disparity in most white collar occupations that are traditionally thought of as being "male".

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I know I have never made as much as a man. It's kind of sad too. Because women do the same jobs now.

It's just funny that you posted this right as my husband quit and he was replaced by a woman
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

From what I gathered from the article, Women need to be better negotiators when it comes to pay. The pay disparity exists bcs they are choosing to settle for less.

Comment

Originally posted by GnosticWarrior View Post
            From what I gathered from the article, Women need to be better negotiators when it comes to pay. The pay disparity exists bcs they are choosing to settle for less.
            That's true most of the time. Women culturally have been programmed in the past to play a very passive role. But even when American women have become more assertive, there's still a residual perception on the part of society and male managers that the only reason women work is to earn "pin money" because women are expected to marry and have a husband to be the main breadwinner. Horse manure.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              there's still a residual perception on the part of society and male managers that the only reason women work is to earn "pin money" because women are expected to marry and have a husband to be the main breadwinner. Horse manure.
              I don't think so. There's more women than ever that are choosing to not have children and don't want any. Women have become CEO's of major corporations. She was later booted but probably one of the most well know was Carly Fiorina.

It's a little off topic but, the problem in Hawaii for local men and women trying to ascending the ranks, especially if working for a national corporation is that they are unwilling to relocate to gain a broader experience. All big bosses have to move around and show their accomplishments heading various divisions. So I don't know if this could be a reason why it appears that maybe some local females were passed up for promotions?

Comment

Originally posted by GnosticWarrior View Post
                I don't think so. There's more women than ever that are choosing to not have children and don't want any. Women have become CEO's of major corporations. She was later booted but probably one of the most well know was Carly Fiorina.

It's a little off topic but, the problem in Hawaii for local men and women trying to ascending the ranks, especially if working for a national corporation is that they are unwilling to relocate to gain a broader experience. All big bosses have to move around and show their accomplishments heading various divisions. So I don't know if this could be a reason why it appears that maybe some local females were passed up for promotions?
                No, in Hawai'i, there is still a paternalistic attitude among many employers (women exist to be secretaries or nurses, not CEOs or doctors). Plus, there are very few white collar management opportunities for either sex, period. It's kind of a Catch-22 situation: many of the larger corporations would love to hire locals, but there are no locals with the skills required to do the job. So they end up "importing" Mainland folks. So whose fault is it that there are no locals with the requisite skills? Is it the local schools? Is it the businesses themselves? Is it the State?

Yes, more women have succeeded in breaking through the "glass ceiling", but many of them did it by becoming CEOs of their own companies, not by rising through the ranks (examples: Debbie Fields, Mary Kay, Diane von Fuerstenberg).

Miulang

Comment

Okay here's an example as to why some women shouldn't be in charge.

The Associate Director of my wife's former job stepped down because of too much stress. She took a lesser paying job but was quite satisfied.

Before a replacement could be found, she managed to have her former salery slashed to almost 30% less than what she got for her replacement.

You get what you pay for and in this case the salary amount was too little for the specs of the Associate Director's pay. They hired a woman who had very little experience in the job she was chosen for. As a result there is chaos in that organization as I speak and the former Associate Director is fuming at their selection for her replacement.

I told my wife that if the former Associate Director didn't mess with the original salary they would have gotten someone more qualified and would have saved their sinking ship.

This is probably another exception but everywhere I've worked in where there's a senior female in control of subordinate female employees, there is a lot of strife. But with guys, we simply tape a picture of our boss in our cubicle and throw darts at him.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

there are very few white collar management opportunities for either sex, period. It's kind of a Catch-22 situation: many of the larger corporations would love to hire locals, but there are no locals with the skills required to do the job. So they end up "importing" Mainland folks. So whose fault is it that there are no locals with the requisite skills? Is it the local schools? Is it the businesses themselves? Is it the State?
                    This is what I was talking about. Locals need to relocate abroad first in order to gain the experience to qualify for the management positions here. I would not blame anyone else. Those born in mainland have less attachment to the locale where they were born and positioned themselves where they needed to be, to gain the experience to then end up with a good job in Hawaii.

btw, I think being your own boss is the way to go. Did you know that Warren Buffett became CEO, not by working his way up the corporate ladder, but thru the back door by being in charge of an investment partnership that bought controlling interest in the now famous Berkshire Hathaway. He only pay's himself a salary of $100,000 as CEO.

I think there should be more women trying to aspire to be like Meryl Witmer. They are under represented in the investment field. If women actually have the skills to be a CEO, then why could they not pool their funds together like Buffett did with his partnership and then later buy controlling interest in a company and then put a woman in charge? Got to get organized.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Okay here's an example as to why some women shouldn't be in charge.

The Associate Director of my wife's former job stepped down because of too much stress. She took a lesser paying job but was quite satisfied.

Before a replacement could be found, she managed to have her former salery slashed to almost 30% less than what she got for her replacement.

You get what you pay for and in this case the salary amount was too little for the specs of the Associate Director's pay. They hired a woman who had very little experience in the job she was chosen for. As a result there is chaos in that organization as I speak and the former Associate Director is fuming at their selection for her replacement.

I told my wife that if the former Associate Director didn't mess with the original salary they would have gotten someone more qualified and would have saved their sinking ship.

This is probably another exception but everywhere I've worked in where there's a senior female in control of subordinate female employees, there is a lot of strife. But with guys, we simply tape a picture of our boss in our cubicle and throw darts at him.
                      And we have many many more examples of why MEN shouldn't be in charge, either (ENRON, US West, MCI, Halliburton...etc.)

Miulang

Comment

so who's left to run the ship?

If men and women can't get their Sh*t together I guess all that's left is the gay community. They seem to be the only ones that can appreciate non-discrimination nowdays.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Women have more rights then men in our society. So think of it as union fees.
                          Last edited by PoiBoy; April 29, 2007, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                            Women have more rights then men in our society. So think of it as union fees.
                            I don't consider sexual harrassment as making me more "entitled" than a man.

Miulang

Comment

By studying the wages of men and women immediately out of college, one of the latest studies show that women still only make 77 cents for every dollar that men make in the same professions. And as time goes on, the disparity gets larger, with women only making about 69 cents for every dollar a man earns. When things like part time work or job sharing are factored in, there is still a 12 cent gap between men and women's salaries after 10 years in the workforce.

Miulang
                              How many men are involved in "job sharing"?
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X