Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, the NFL may move Pro Bowl

source

The National Football League is "serious" about exploring opportunities to hold the Pro Bowl away from Hawai'i for the first time in 30 years, possibly moving it closer to a site of a future Super Bowl as soon as 2009, a spokesman said.
    People dream of coming to Hawaii for vacation. If you read the article, it mentions that they might move it to China. Who'd want to play football in China? We have beautiful weather 365 days of the year (okay, minus a few days Trini says it'll rain), not to mention the miles of beaches and our culture!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Seriously, the NFL may move Pro Bowl

I personally think this is the NFL's way to try to extort more money out of the State to keep that contract. $4.2 million is chump change. I bet if the State offered to give the NFL more money, they would stop considering moving the Pro Bowl.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Let them go, were we getting a lot back for the investment?

China? Hmm, guess they are trying to follow the NBA's footsteps in trying to expand their audience base. Translation, increase their income base.

Comment

The problem at the Pro Bowl is that all the seats sell out, and yet 1/2 the stadium is empty for most of the game. Looks bad on TV. NFL don't like that.

In Hawaii, the party is in the parking lot.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          The problem at the Pro Bowl is that all the seats sell out, and yet 1/2 the stadium is empty for most of the game. Looks bad on TV. NFL don't like that.

The tickets are sold out because in order to broadcast the games live in Hawaii, there has to be a minimum of ticket sales, or else no one would come to the games, so the local tv station relying on advertising revenue by broadcasting the games locally ensure the tickets are sold out, they buy them all and give em away...usually to scalpers.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post

Heh. There are ways to make a half full arena look more crowded than it really is. They use that trick in all the major pro stadiums in the country (doesn't matter which sport). The trick is to make the seats (especially the nosebleed ones) different colors (make some have darker seat backs and some have lighter seat backs in random spots). When the camera pans up to the crowd from a distance, it's really hard to distinguish between a dark empty seat and an occupied one (I learned about that little visual trick when I took a tour of the Superdome many years ago).

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hawaii has never been able to keep a professional sport here. We really are fair-weather sports fans. When our teams suck we let em know. When they're great, we still don't go to the games. We'd rather be partying outside where it's free. Ticket sales help the organization. Tailgate parties don't.

Comment

Is the state's investment in the Pro Bowl worthwhile? Sure, it attracts several thousands of fans and NFL employees who shop, stay in hotels, etc., but how much extra is the state spending on making Oahu a bit nicer? How much more crime comes along?

That being said, it's a garbage game anyway. No blitzing and just nickel packages. @#$%! outta here.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Money-wise, the most lucrative sporting event for the state is the Honolulu Marathon. Not much financial outlay there, except for the cost of using City police officers for safety control. But the financial reward is tremendous.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    Is the state's investment in the Pro Bowl worthwhile? Sure, it attracts several thousands of fans and NFL employees who shop, stay in hotels, etc., but how much extra is the state spending on making Oahu a bit nicer? How much more crime comes along?

That being said, it's a garbage game anyway. No blitzing and just nickel packages. @#$%! outta here.
                    If the Pro Bowl wants to go, let 'em go. I don't like how they basically extort us every few years. Why do they need those few millions anyway when they make so much from the regular season and playoff games?

You're right, it's not a REAL game anyway. I have never attended or watched any of them.

Comment

It has everything to do with national exposure. The ProBowl itself doesn't generate much revenue for the State of Hawaii, but the national exposure during the peak of winter sure helps our tourism industry.

Comment

before the NFL made Hawaii home for the Pro Bowl. It had never sold out in any of the cities it would visit. After the Super Bowl interest in football is way down. But here in Hawaii, a city that doesn't own a NFL Franchise. It allows the regular folks like you and I a chance to see these stars of the NFL.

Many, many moons ago I use to work at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the Banquet dept. I had the pleasure of getting to meet several NFL Greats like Walter Payton, Randy White, Art Still. Plus on top of that I find out my best friend in college sister married Marvin Powell OL NY Jets Pro Bowler (7 or 8 times. Marvin and I hit it off pretty well. So I had several years of free tickets to the games. Oh yeah, it was Marvin who introduced me to the other pro bowlers too. But what sits in my mind was the constant reply from these greats how they loved it here. They came here because the pro bowl was in Hawaii, and it was a great chance for them to bring along the wife & kids too.

Oh, I don't doubt that the NFL won't test the waters for one or two Pro Bowls. But when the Pro Bowl players start complaining that the game has returned to other cities in America, the interest level will drop yet another notch.

Perhaps the City of Honolulu should offer more money to keep it here?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                          Money-wise, the most lucrative sporting event for the state is the Honolulu Marathon. Not much financial outlay there, except for the cost of using City police officers for safety control. But the financial reward is tremendous.
                          Hel-LO?!? "Not much financial outlay"?
                          http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Working...
                          X