Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have what it takes to be a citizen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have what it takes to be a citizen?

Being born in this country, you are automatically considered an American citizen. Pity the poor immigrant who needs to take a citizenship exam in order to be conferred the full privileges of citizenship. Here is the new, proposed citizenship test that applicants will have to take beginning next year. How many of the questions can you answer correctly? You need to score >60% to pass.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Do you have what it takes to be a citizen?

Cool. Hawaii rates its own question. I have no problem with anyone who wants to become a citizen being required to take and pass this test. And, yes, I'm quite sure I could pass with an excellent score. Maybe we need to make everyone (natural born citizens too) take the test before they can vote. Just kidding...or not!

Comment

Geez, I've forgotten most of what they have to study for.

Comment

Last week, I was in a meeting with an immigration lawyer and a man who just became a US citizen. The lawyer asked the man how the citizenship test went and the man said it was very easy. He was asked 6 questions, one of which was "what is the 50th state in the United States" and the language portion of the test consisted of him writing the sentence "The President lives in the White House." and he was allowed three errors in that sentence (he proudly declared that he didn't make any errors in his sentence). The lawyer laughed and said, I was wondering if they changed the process but it's the same. Don't get me wrong, the man seemed like a very nice man. But I was surprised because I had always heard and thought that the citizenship test was really hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          Last week, I was in a meeting with an immigration lawyer and a man who just became a US citizen. The lawyer asked the man how the citizenship test went and the man said it was very easy. He was asked 6 questions, one of which was "what is the 50th state in the United States" and the language portion of the test consisted of him writing the sentence "The President lives in the White House." and he was allowed three errors in that sentence (he proudly declared that he didn't make any errors in his sentence). The lawyer laughed and said, I was wondering if they changed the process but it's the same. Don't get me wrong, the man seemed like a very nice man. But I was surprised because I had always heard and thought that the citizenship test was really hard.
          If you compare the "old" test to the one that's being proposed to replace it next year, it is considerably more difficult (i.e., some of the questions are more like playing Jeopardy than just plain memorization and do require some thought). What's difficult is they list over 100 questions for which you're supposed to study the answers. But they only ask 10 of those.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
            Cool. Hawaii rates its own question. I have no problem with anyone who wants to become a citizen being required to take and pass this test. And, yes, I'm quite sure I could pass with an excellent score. Maybe we need to make everyone (natural born citizens too) take the test before they can vote. Just kidding...or not!
            I love that idea.

pax

Comment

Working...
            X