Dim Sum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dim Sum

DIm Sum is one of my favorite kind of food destinations to eat whenever I am in Honolulu!

Here in Hilo, there are no traditional Dim Sum only restaurants and only a few that serve the basic Pork hash and manapua.

One of my favorite DIm Sum restaurants on Oahu is Legend Restaurant in the Chinese Cultural Plaza. But after ahwile, that place gets so busy and service and quality of food kind of sucks when it's that packed. My braddah Jason Scoot lee turned me on to a simpler place as he says, less hustle and bustle ,not as nice decor ,but good Dim Sum! He tells me Mei Sum! To me it was not to bad, their hours are pretty long and you can get Dim Sum all day long.

I also went to Eastern Garden when they were by Westridge Center and had worms in the Ong Choi! Wow extra protein for free!

I will be on Oahu in two weeks and finally off of my pre show diet and looking for other good Dim Sum! Oahu folks, please fill me in on the current good places minus the extra worms!

Re: Dim Sum

K-den too early in dee morning to know dee names.

Easy to find.

Next to Bank of Hawaii in Chinatown on King Street.

The other on the corner of Pauahi and Smith Street.

Also, check out this thread http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=3691

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; May 4, 2007, 06:48 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Harbor Restaurant (I think that's the name) out in the Koko Marina SC had a nice selection on weekends when they open at 9am. Not cart service, you order the ones you want by filling in the paper whilst referencing the laminated photo menu and they make it fresh. Affordable too - we can pig out for about $20. Panda near Ala Moana SC is pretty good as well, but is cart service.

Comment

For ordering off a laminated menu, I really like Mei Sum (Pauahi and Smith). Make sure you get the taro gok -- it's dreamy.

For cart service, I admit I am no expert, but I've had some nice breakfasts at Happy Day on Waialae, in the same building as Big City Diner and Cafe Laufer. Dim sum for breakfast? Rock my world.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I tend to buy manapua from U Choice Inn at Don Quijote since that is close to where I live. Not much of a selection but they do have char siu and chicken manapua in both steamed and baked. They also have 2 or 3 others types in steamed.

Island Manapua Factory at Manoa Marketplace has a wider selection of manapua types and Manoa Marketplace's parking lot is not as crowded.

7-11 has steamed manapua, not the best ones around and not the worse either but if manapua mood strikes you at 2:34 am at least there is a place to go.

Comment

Wow! Now we going into Manapua?

There's only one place foa me!

Char Hung Sut in Chinatown!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              K-den too early in dee morning to know dee names.

Easy to find.

Next to Bank of Hawaii in Chinatown on King Street.

Auntie Lynn
              Das da one we go to whenever we get down there. Started going there when they were a different name (Sea Fortune Restaurant?) Couldn't go wrong when you go inside and only get Chinese families sitting at the tables eating Hong Kong style dim sum. Used to eat breakfast often odeah on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays.

For plain'ol manapua and pork hash kine stuff, same, Char Hung Sut or Libby in Kalihi.

Comment

The stuff I like are those shrimp and chive dumplings in that translucent wrap, The ones with scallop, and so many other Dim sum to choose sometimes I dont even know what I am eating? But despite that, they all taste ono and are exotic to my country Hilo boy taste.

I am counting the hours and days to my day of culinary freedom!

Comment

you know where's a good place to look up dim sum reviews? reid's food blog at onokinegrindz.com. you can use the drop down menu to find just the dim sum places, bcs he loves dim sum. i've eaten at a lot of the places he has (dim sum or not) and i pretty much agree with him on his opinions. plus he has droolworthy pics of the food!
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Panda Cuisine on Keeaumoku St. or Royal Garden in the Ala Moana Hotel.
                    Last edited by na alii; May 4, 2007, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                      Panda Cuisine on Keeaumoku St. or Royal Garden in the Ala Moana Hotel.
                      na alii,
                      Ala Moana Hotel! The company I do shows for always puts me up there and I never knew Royal Garden had Dim Sum? Thanks for giving me that info, will definitly take the elevator there in two weeks.

Speaking about Ala Moana Hotel, that restaurant on the bottom floor has an outstanding breakfast buffet! Always good to go as the company pays the bill and it's right after my shows are done and all pau diet!

Comment

Working...
                      X