NRA says terrorists can have guns too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRA says terrorists can have guns too

At least they're being consistent about who can own and use guns...EVERYBODY.

In a letter this week to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, NRA executive director Chris Cox said the bill, offered last week by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-New Jersey, "would allow arbitrary denial of Second Amendment rights based on mere 'suspicions' of a terrorist threat."

"As many of our friends in law enforcement have rightly pointed out, the word 'suspect' has no legal meaning, particularly when it comes to denying constitutional liberties," Cox wrote.

In a letter supporting the measure, Acting Assistant Attorney General Richard Hertling said the bill would not automatically prevent a gun sale to a suspected terrorist. In some cases, federal agents may want to let a sale go forward to avoid compromising an ongoing investigation.

Hertling also notes there is a process to challenge denial of a sale.

Current law requires gun dealers to conduct a criminal background check and deny sales if a gun purchaser falls under a specified prohibition, including a felony conviction, domestic abuse conviction or illegal immigration. There is no legal basis to deny a sale if a purchaser is on a terror watch list.

"When I tell people that you can be on a terrorist watch list and still be allowed to buy as many guns as you want, they are shocked," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which supports Lautenberg's bill. (The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence Web site)
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: NRA says terrorists can have guns too

I'm with the NRA on this one. Considering that U.S. Senators, babies and dead people have shown up on the No Fly List, I'd be pretty worried about that so-called "terrorist watch list."
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Re: NRA says terrorists can have guns too

Like Modpirate said, you have a terrorist watch list with names of babies and dead people. Plus, the final word to sell or not sell to a prospective customer comes from the FBI during the background check and they don't have to tell the gun seller why, whether it be a reason dealing with the TWL or a past felony conviction. They're just trying to pass more useless and redundant anti gun legislation.

Besides, what the heck do terrorists want with small arms when their MO is bombs.

As for Helmke.....he's with the people that would have you believe that: accidental deaths of children due to firearms is at an all time high and the DC gun ban works.

Comment

Working...
      X