Examples of American Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examples of American Culture

Okay, so I've read on this forum, in several posts, about the fact that America has no culture. So I thought I would start a thread about what some of the examples of American Culture are.

Football - we have exported this sport to many other countries. GO RAIDERS !
    The Kentucky Derby - be sure to bring a great hat.
    NASCAR - wish they still carried the moonshine.
    Jazz Music - I dare you to deny this one in either Chicago or New Orleans

What else?
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Examples of American Culture

Philadelphia's annual Mummers' Day Parade each New Year's Day.
    Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.
    Maryland Crab cakes.
    Hoagies.
    Take-A-Boost, a beverage invented and distributed only in Riverside, NJ.
    American Bandstand.
    The Empire State Building.
    Barbecue.

hmmm. I must be hungry!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      Okay, so I've read on this forum, in several posts, about the fact that America has no culture. So I thought I would start a thread about what some of the examples of American Culture are.

Football - we have exported this sport to many other countries. GO RAIDERS !
      The Kentucky Derby - be sure to bring a great hat.
      NASCAR - wish they still carried the moonshine.
      Jazz Music - I dare you to deny this one in either Chicago or New Orleans

What else?
      Jazz and NASCAR for sure, but I don't think that's true with football (it's a derivation of rugby which was invented by the Brits in 1806 and way before that, was probably imported from Ireland, where they played very similar games called caid) or the Kentucky Derby (betting on horses was also imported from Britain by the landed gentry). The first Kentucky Derby was run in 1835, while the first races for money at Newmarket Sq. were in 1622.

We "invented" grunge music, hip hop/rap music, automobiles, fast food drive ins, drive in movie theaters...frozen TV dinners, TANG, Coca Cola...

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; May 6, 2007, 05:55 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

NASCAR, how is that exactly American culture? There are Rallys and Formula One so racing isn't exactly an American thing. And NASCAR's an oxymoron, National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, nothing stock about those cars.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          NASCAR, how is that exactly American culture? There are Rallys and Formula One so racing isn't exactly an American thing. And NASCAR's an oxymoron, National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, nothing stock about those cars.
          No other country would come up with the "poor man's version" of LeMans GrandPrix racing. In France, they drink wine and champagne...in the US, they drink Bud or Miller Lite.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Jazz and NASCAR for sure, but I don't think that's true with football (it's a derivation of rugby which was invented by the Brits in 1806 and way before that, was probably imported from Ireland, where they played very similar games called caid) or the Kentucky Derby (betting on horses was also imported from Britain by the landed gentry). The first Kentucky Derby was run in 1835, while the first races for money at Newmarket Sq. were in 1622.

We "invented" grunge music, hip hop/rap music, automobiles, fast food drive ins, drive in movie theaters...frozen TV dinners, TANG, Coca Cola...

Miulang
            Jamaicans did the former; the latter, the Germans. we just commercialized these.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Don't forget the internet, an Al Gore Americana tradition

flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Let's not forget Baseball.

Seems that sports and competition dominate American Culture in many ways.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thanksgiving Day, St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo just to name a few. The event commemorated by Cinco de Mayo may have happened in Mexico, but it was never celebrated there on any scale except in the town of Pubela where the battle took place. Here in the U.S. it's very similar to St. Patrick's Day which celebrates Irish heritage, culture and immigrants offering the same recognition to Mexican heritage, culture and immigrants. You know critical mass has been reached when one of our local Irish pubs holds a Cinco de Mayo block party. Viva Los Estados Unidos!

Comment

McDonalds, and Burger Joints in general
                    Diners
                    Drive Through Restaurants and Drive Inns (which are sadly almost all pau)

Levi's Blue jeans
                    Skateboarding
                    Free Speech (currently being challenged by the current "aministration")
                    Tiki Bars and restaurants :-)

Blues and
                    and....Rock n Roll

Airplanes

Tract Housing

MTV (kinda wish that never happened)
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                      McDonalds, and Burger Joints in general
                      Diners
                      Drive Through Restaurants and Drive Inns (which are sadly almost all pau)

Levi's Blue jeans
                      Skateboarding
                      Free Speech (currently being challenged by the current "aministration")
                      Tiki Bars and restaurants :-)

Blues and
                      and....Rock n Roll

Airplanes

Tract Housing

MTV (kinda wish that never happened)
                      Drive Thru definitely is a big one. That made a huge impact on many lives' eating habits.

Comment

there's a lot of pop culture stuff being tossed out here...let's take it up a notch, shall we?

American culture, if you will, introduced the notion of individual rights to the international table in modern times. Up until the grande 'ol US of A did so, most human rights took second place to the good of the nation, and a study of international law would find that to be historically true. It is the basis of individual rights that has in turn championed "human rights" on a global scale.

The USA did that.

pax

Comment

speaking of culture...(yeah, the pic is obnoxious, but it seems to jive with this thread):

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            speaking of culture...(yeah, the pic is obnoxious, but it seems to jive with this thread):

GO BRONCOS!
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post

Yeah, Americans invented Crocs!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X