A Class Divided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Class Divided

This thread will not be well received in Hawaii, where race based decision making, and racism, is part and parcel of the fabric of society in the Islands. Entitlement based on pedigree is a very popular notion here. I realize the roots of this notion are based in ignorance, but that does not make any more palatable.

1968 in Iowa

2007 in Hawaii

Is there any difference, when viewed in a racial light?

<<sigh>> <<sadness>>
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I had a teacher teach this same exact lesson at King intermediate in Kaneohe in the early 80's the only difference was instead of using eye color she used the alphabet all the kids whose last name started with A-G (something like that) an den switch till we go to Z ....were better and had privleges or didnt have to take tests/quizes and we did this for a week each session.... hooo pissed off some kids but it was a interesting lesson to learn about segregation, racism, and slavery
      Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Whoo! Flashback! I vaguely remember this experiment (I was in Iowa's schools in 1968.) Caused a LOT of flack (as much as I could understand, not even being a teenager at the time.)

Comment

I didn't click the link, but did any of the story mention Todd Strasser's The Wave?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

awesome! thats a wonderful teacher!

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl View Post
              I had a teacher teach this same exact lesson at King intermediate in Kaneohe in the early 80's the only difference was instead of using eye color she used the alphabet all the kids whose last name started with A-G (something like that) an den switch till we go to Z ....were better and had privleges or didnt have to take tests/quizes and we did this for a week each session.... hooo pissed off some kids but it was a interesting lesson to learn about segregation, racism, and slavery
              Sounds like you had a good teacher. I was wondering if that brown/blue eye would work in Hawaii? Seems you're teacher did a good job of adapting it here. Sad to say, maybe lucky for me I didn't have a teacher that taught that. At that time in my life, I had a really bad attitude and would have been one of those that would have gotten really pissed. I would only end up embarassing myself. It's funny to watch those people who went to her training session and had no idea what it was about, but that could have been me.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Whoo! Flashback! I vaguely remember this experiment (I was in Iowa's schools in 1968.) Caused a LOT of flack (as much as I could understand, not even being a teenager at the time.)
              Wow, I guess you were at ground zero huh? Just thinking of the era is which she did this, she's a hero!!! Here's a quote by Jane Elliott, the teacher about the reaction at school:

"Had I not had an extremely wise superintendent when I did that exercise the first time, I probably would have gotten fired. He was under pressure to fire me. I didn't know why he persevered until a researcher for "A Class Divided" asked him why he didn't fire me, and he simply said, "Because in my heart of hearts, I knew what she was doing was right and I couldn't fire her for doing the right thing." However, 20 percent of the people in Riceville are still absolutely furious about what I did on April 4, 1968... Interestingly, parents whose children had been in my classroom didn't seem to have a problem with me, but those who had never had children in my classroom had a tremendous problem with me. I think their problem was partially because they had been misinformed by other teachers about what went on in my classroom, and partially because they didn't understand what the exercise was about. Some of them still don't understand the exercise. So to this day I'm called a "nigger lover" by 20 percent of the population in Riceville. I was grateful for the other 80 percent. However, while the other 80 percent didn't protest what I was doing, neither did they protest what was being done to me or to my children, and it was mostly done to my children. Edmund Burke said, "The only thing necessary for the perpetuation of evil is for good people to do nothing." I believe that, and I believe that bowing to racist intimidation is cowardice. I also believe that people do what they have to do to get through the day. I know that sometimes it's better to bend like the willow than it is to resist like the oak, but how do you live with yourself when you discover later that you bent at some of the wrong times over some of the wrong issues?"
              Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              I didn't click the link, but did any of the story mention Todd Strasser's The Wave?
              No Todd Strasser was not metioned in the video. I did not read his book or watched the movie.

Comment

"The only thing necessary for the perpetuation of evil is for good people to do nothing."

Words to LIVE by in a world being overrun by pacificts and terrorists.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  "The only thing necessary for the perpetuation of evil is for good people to do nothing."

Words to LIVE by in a world being overrun by pacificts and terrorists.
                  Not sure what you meant by that Tim? But here's a quote a found:

"True pacifism is not unrealistic submission to an evil power...it is rather a courageous confrontation with evil by the power of love, in the faith that it is better to be the recipient of violence than the inflicter of it, since the latter only multiplies the existence of violence and bitterness in the universe, while the former may develop a sense of shame in the opponent, and thereby bring about a transformation and change of heart." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Perhaps what I meant is that I am neither a pacifist nor a terrorist. Terrorism is just a fancy word for lawlessness. Lawful society is the root of humanity.

Seems to me that the pacifists are just fine. Until they interfere with people who are trying to control lawlessness. There is a point, upon interference, where pacifism runs the risk of becoming collateral damage.

And to stay on topic, I would submit that lawlessness has no basis in ethinicity or race. Behaviors are not defined by race.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      Behaviors are not defined by race.
                      The late University of Hawai‘i dean and professor Stanley Porteus would disagree with you, as would his wife, Betty. Fortunately, UH administration and students rejected those notions, and thus Porteus Hall was renamed in 1998.

Just further evidence that racist ideals stem from haole arrogance.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Just further evidence that racist ideals stem from haole arrogance.
                        Sorry - can't let that one fly by without comment. "Haoles" do not have a monopoly on racist idealism - you know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Sorry - can't let that one fly by without comment. "Haoles" do not have a monopoly on racist idealism - you know that.
                          True, but I still have yet to see a kanaka kama‘aina profess racist idealism on the open stage (although Hanani Kay-Trask comes close), which is what Tim seems to be implying by this post.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                          X