John Taylor Gatto - Teacher of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Taylor Gatto - Teacher of the Year

Someone on another board introduced me to John Taylor Gatto. He has some pretty interesting insight on public education and has the credentials like being named New York State's Teacher of the year in 1991, to validate his claims. Check out his article in Harper's titled: How public education cripples our kids and why?

Re: John Taylor Gatto - Teacher of the Year

I read Gatto's work ages ago. I agree with his points, and hope more people think outside the box to innovate education.

Comment

Gatto does a great service by reminding us that the modern American public school system was designed, in the midst of the Industrial Revolution, for a particular purpose: to train the populace to be compliant and complacent. And mostly, it's been a huge success.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
        Gatto does a great service by reminding us that the modern American public school system was designed, in the midst of the Industrial Revolution, for a particular purpose: to train the populace to be compliant and complacent. And mostly, it's been a huge success.
        Isn't that the truth. That extends to most private schools too.
        Teachers=babysitters

Comment

Did Gatto ever express an opinion regarding the Montessori method of teaching?

Comment

Great Article !!

I been saying all along that you are born smart or stupid and college won't change a thing.

I have said that if given the choice to hire a college graduate or ex-military, that I, as an employer, will take the grunt.

Of the few jobs I have interviewed for, if the subject of a degree came up, my impression of the interviewer went downhill immediately.

If you think your degree, representing your 'formal' education is important, AND you are neither a doctor, nor a lawyer, nor an Indian Chief, then you are as dimwitted as the poor students that the article speaks of.

My daughter is attending public school. But to counter that, we constantly play games, learn language & music, go to interesting cultural and educational events, and basically spend a lot of time doing anything except watching TV.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              My daughter is attending public school. But to counter that, we constantly play games, learn language & music, go to interesting cultural and educational events, and basically spend a lot of time doing anything except watching TV.
              I hope if I become a parent I can follow this example effectively.

Comment

Your approach seems the most reasonable path for most parents to follow. Understand the flaws in public education and counter them with what you teach your children at home. Unfortunately, even homeschooling, which Gatto favors is an option out of the financial reach of most parents. Well, as a parent you're always homeschooling.

Comment

Great Article !!
                  PLEASE add to that the wonders of the universe! Point out the rainbows and why they are there. Make her listen to the rhythm of the ocean and make the connection to the rhythms in the music she hears. And how that is the same rhythm of the universe. It is the stuff that stars are made of - Teach her that math is just as much a language as English or Hawaiian or French or.......

Sorry...... we are hitting into my passion on this thread. I actually got a chance to meet John. He spoke at our school through the education department - whom I have worked closely with in an effort to change the ideology of the public school systems. Tough fight.
                  Last edited by acousticlady; May 15, 2007, 04:10 AM. Reason: not so good at spelling

Comment

I have said that if given the choice to hire a college graduate or ex-military, that I, as an employer, will take the grunt.
                    I remember that. I also remember asking what your own military experience was. I further recall that you never answered...
                    Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 15, 2007, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X