What is this food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this food?

I think this thread will prove past its initial purpose if I generalize it a bit. This is where you can post an unknown food you like (or dislike, or whatever) for us to identify.

I'm so addicted to this filipino snack food. I always find it in unmarked bags when my grandparents come from the store and/or Philippines.
    Attached Files
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: what is this food?

Is that chicarones? Pork rind.

Comment

Looks MUCH better then balut, but I was opting for cracklings or exploded fried corn...I forget the South American name for it.
      Last edited by TATTRAT; May 21, 2007, 06:00 PM.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Looks like a version of corn nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
          Is that chicarones? Pork rind.
          I believe your right! It looks like snack size chicarones!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: What is this food?

I believe those are garlic flavored corn nuts. I went to the Philippines in 1993 when my very good "straight" filipino friend and his fiancee offered to show me around the country.

Garlic flavored corn nuts are one of the most popular snacks to bring back from the P.I.

Comment

they're corn nuts, all right, but they might not necessarily be garlic flavored. they have other flavors too.

for those of you who've never tried them, they're available at daiei...er..don quijote. they're different from american corn nuts in that they're more delicate in texture (not rock hard like american corn nuts) so they won't kill your fillings. plus i think they're mighty tasty!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

[they're corn nuts, all right, but they might not necessarily be garlic flavored. they have other flavors too.]

So true...I thought they were garlic flavored because of the light coloration to them. If they were chili flavored, they would have flecks of red judging from what I have already seen.

I agree! They are very light, airy, and tasty! I brought back jumbo size bags to the office where I worked, and everyone loved it!
                Last edited by Beau; May 21, 2007, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Let a true Filipino give you the right info.

The Filipino name is Magarun, which means: deep fried rat testicles. I'm really surprised you're eating them. I know I wouldn't.

I'll see if Cranberee can identify it. She's an expert on Filipino cuisine.

DD
                  www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                    Let a true Filipino give you the right info.

The Filipino name is Magarun, which means: deep fried rat testicles. I'm really surprised you're eating them. I know I wouldn't.

I'll see if Cranberee can identify it. She's an expert on Filipino cuisine.

DD
                    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm glad I neba go back moemoe yet...dis is too FUNNY!

Rat Olo's!!!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                      I'm so addicted to this filipino snack food. I always find it in unmarked bags when my grandparents come from the store and/or Philippines.
                      I concur in that they look like those Filipino corn nuts. I've only tried the garlic flavored type. They're a bit smaller than the American CornNut, just as salty, but really good.

One brand name is Korniks.
                      Last edited by Pomai; May 22, 2007, 08:59 AM.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                        Well...at least folks got the "nuts" part right.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                          I believe those are garlic flavored corn nuts. I went to the Philippines in 1993 when my very good "straight" filipino friend and his fiancee offered to show me around the country.
                          You only know one filipino that is straight, and you say that "loosely"?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

*sigh* DD is a bit twisted at times

http://www.cornixsnacks.com/product.html

that would be cornix - the filipino version of CornNuts..they come in other flavors also but garlic seems to be the popular one.

hate those things :P but i can eat barquillos! heh

Comment

I love the deep fried garlic corn nut salty snacks from the P.I. If someone I know is coming back from P.I. I always ask them to bring back as much as they can carry

The picture looks like it might be my favorite garlic corn snack but the color is a bit off and the kine I'm used to eating has garlic clove leaves mixed in with the nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X