Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restaurants that give too big portions

Howzit HT Food peoples

I decided to start a thread after my experience with food after a 5 month pre show diet.

Well after my show, my children wanted to have fun and spends some time at Dave and Buster. I told them I have to get my long disired pizza I have been waiting for first.

So wouldnt you know it, below D & B's is an italian place called Buca Di Pepo? Anyway we went in and ordered. When our order came, my wife and I almost fell out of our seats after seeing enough food for a dozen people! My wife is a slim model type weighing only 110 at 5 feet 6 and I am 153 at 5 feet 9.

This was the first ever time I have ever witnessed a gourge of food that is the size of catering trays for a single order!

Dont get me wrong, I was very appreciative and the food was alright nothing spectabular. But I do not think even Konishiki or Musashimaru would finish off a tub of pasta , the appetisers, and Pizza that came!

Did any of you out there ever experience this before or at any other restaurants around the State?

Time to resume my diet if thats the case! LOL

Re: Restaurants that give to big portions

Buca is considered Family Style eating which I guess means their portions can feed an entire family.

I quit eating there for the most part because not only was it expensive but we brought home so much leftovers our refrig couldnt handle it.

I like to eat big bowls of pasta before my races, so I will go get a take out from there or get spaghetti from Zippy's.

Buca is all over the mainland now it seems.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Yeah, Buca De Beppo's reputation is largely (pun intended) based on their serving gigantic portions of mediocre Italian fare. When you get leftovers to go, they put them in a big shopping bag (conveniently advertising themselves along the side.) We only go if we are part of a very large group (which usually means getting The Pope Room); then we don't have to order as many dishes.

The Cheesecake Factory is another chain that does large servings of nothing-special food. I'm curious to see if other chains start following T.G.I. Friday's example of offering smaller-portion meals.

Congrats on sticking to the diet, Layne. Be careful - there are many temptations to trip you up now...(and if you need someone off-island to "sample" your homemade Hilo Portuguese sausage...*ahem!*)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Yeah, Buca De Beppo's reputation is largely (pun intended) based on their serving gigantic portions of mediocre Italian fare. When you get leftovers to go, they put them in a big shopping bag (conveniently advertising themselves along the side.) We only go if we are part of a very large group (which usually means getting The Pope Room); then we don't have to order as many dishes.

The Cheesecake Factory is another chain that does large servings of nothing-special food. I'm curious to see if other chains start following T.G.I. Friday's example of offering smaller-portion meals.

Congrats on sticking to the diet, Layne. Be careful - there are many temptations to trip you up now...(and if you need someone off-island to "sample" your homemade Hilo Portuguese sausage...*ahem!*)

Howzit Leo Lakio
        Thank you for the congratulation! Will definitly send some of the homemade stuff over to Oahu via braddah Pomai.

The food was wonderful this past weekend but, I sure did it to fast and kind of shocked my system.

Right after my show The company I performed for made an after party with heavy pupus and an open bar. Big mistake for me as I tanked 5 beers really fast and ended up feeling like it was a 12 pack as my system was so clean! As usual, I went through my feeling good stages all the way to the tearful drunk stages.

Ended up sleeping with my son in a booth at Dave & Busters while my wife and daughter had fun upstairs. Props to the wait staff at the D&B restaurant as they let me sleep it off with the Buca De Peppo doggy bag hiding my face! I over heard the waitress tell another waiter, "Oh how cute, the father and son both sleeping let them go until the wife gets done" That wait staff got a huge tip from me when my wife came to get us.. Nice people over there at D&B's!

Comment

(and if you need someone off-island to "sample" your homemade Hilo Portuguese sausage...*ahem!*)
          Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
          Will definitly send some of the homemade stuff over to Oahu via braddah Pomai.
          Sorry...guess I need to be clearer...WAY "off-island"...Mainland-like. Pomai can have my portion, for now. (Maybe the next time my editor goes home to Hilo, I'll have her connect up with a source.)

Comment

Re: Restaurants that give too big portions

I liked Buca the first few times I went, but, like alot of "Authentic Italian" places (Olive garden, Macaraoni Grill) the over garlic everything....like they're trying to kill vampires....

The one thing I DO like about Buca is their ravioli is made with a mixture of ricotta and Goat cheese, which is VERY tasty...

But, yeam their dishes are made for 2-4 people most times.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Sorry...guess I need to be clearer...WAY "off-island"...Mainland-like. Pomai can have my portion, for now. (Maybe the next time my editor goes home to Hilo, I'll have her connect up with a source.)
              oooops! Now that is sure far from home...be sure to have your editor hit me up if ever in hilo, Will be sure to pack a few big Island homemade sausages in dry ice!

Nice to be here in Hawaii... Life is slow and mellow here in Hilo, Maybe a little too slow!

Comment

Sorry...guess I need to be clearer...WAY "off-island"...Mainland-like. Pomai can have my portion, for now.
                Darn. I was going to suggest that Hilo could send it here to me, and I'd deliver it to Leo's parents-in-law a few blocks away from me.
                Of course, there might be a little 'shrinkage' in transport.

Back on topic: the prime rib at Haleiwa Joe's is huuuuge. Half a cow, or so it seems. Darned good, too. Just plan on taking half of it home, even if you were starving when you started.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

i've said this before, but not in these exact terms: another example of a banal, overpriced, portions-too-large restaurant?

sam choy's--in particular, BLC.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                    i've said this before, but not in these exact terms: another example of a banal, overpriced, portions-too-large restaurant?

sam choy's--in particular, BLC.
                    \

I agree!

When he had his place in Kona way to large portions and sometimes overly flavored.
                    But as a person, I like Sam and have met him many times. One of them at the Governors mansion for a private party I flew in for last year. Sam is a pretty humble local bradah.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Buca is considered Family Style eating which I guess means their portions can feed an entire family.

I quit eating there for the most part because not only was it expensive but we brought home so much leftovers our refrig couldnt handle it.

I like to eat big bowls of pasta before my races, so I will go get a take out from there or get spaghetti from Zippy's.

Buca is all over the mainland now it seems.

KalihiBoy
                      Kalihi Boy

Carbing up i before a competition is the bomb! Depleting is the pits! I lost my car keys at least twice a week when dropping carbs from my diet.

Carbs are major league fuel for the muscles! Can't beat pasta!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Darn. I was going to suggest that Hilo could send it here to me, and I'd deliver it to Leo's parents-in-law a few blocks away from me.
                        Of course, there might be a little 'shrinkage' in transport.

Back on topic: the prime rib at Haleiwa Joe's is huuuuge. Half a cow, or so it seems. Darned good, too. Just plan on taking half of it home, even if you were starving when you started.

Prime Ribs! That is one I forgot to add to my must eat list after the diet!

Comment

Last year, my family celebrated my birthday at Buca. We had gift cards galore. So my brother-in-law started ordering the dishes, and ordering and ordering. The waiter's eye went wide and he said: "Can you eat all that?" Defensively, we subtracted one or two dishes.

When it was time to pack the leftovers into our doggy bags, or more precisely, doggy cartons, or doggy boxes, every one of us (party of about 12) carried away about ten pounds, it seems.

What surprised me was that the next day I re-heated some of the leftovers and found that it was pretty good, better than the original. Maybe it was just me. It was ordinary "American" Italian food, nothing special, but the re-heated version seemed much better than the original. Don't know what that says of the food. Was it designed that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            Last year, my family celebrated my birthday at Buca. We had gift cards galore. So my brother-in-law started ordering the dishes, and ordering and ordering. The waiter's eye went wide and he said: "Can you eat all that?" Defensively, we subtracted one or two dishes.

When it was time to pack the leftovers into our doggy bags, or more precisely, doggy cartons, or doggy boxes, every one of us (party of about 12) carried away about ten pounds, it seems.

What surprised me was that the next day I re-heated some of the leftovers and found that it was pretty good, better than the original. Maybe it was just me. It was ordinary "American" Italian food, nothing special, but the re-heated version seemed much better than the original. Don't know what that says of the food. Was it designed that way?
                            You know your right, i found the pizza just as good the next day, Had it for breakfast.
                            The pasta with chicken was enough to feed a small army. We ended up giving it to a friend who visited us at the hotel. The take out carton was a huge silver catering style container. Too funny!

I have to mention our waiter that night was outstanding , knowledgeable, and full of performance like personality. His name was Kawika and we ended up giving him a very generous tip.

Comment

Pasta is always good cold or reheated...especially ravioli....

Ravioli never really lasts too long in my house....It's my heroin...I start, and I can't stop....
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X