New Menu Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Menu Items

Try any new items on the menu at your favorite restaurant lately?

I'm a HUGE fan of 7-layer dip, so when I seen the Taco Bell commercial for their 7-Layer Crunch Wrap, I just had to try it. Could this really taste like the real deal, all conveniently wrapped in one? How novel I thought.

Funny enough, when I went to order it, the lady tells (more like warns) me that it doesn't have any meat in it, as if I'm supposed to be turned off. I said that's fine and ordered the combo for $4.89, which included the wrap, a regular taco and a large drink.

As you know, most Taco Bell items are pretty much made up of the same ingredients, just named and assembled differently. Too funny.

The 7 layer Crunch Wrap is made of (some verbatim by Taco Bell) hearty beans, nacho cheese, guacamole, red sauce, red tortilla strips, sour cream, and chopped tomato, all layered inside a soft tortilla that's folded at all sides and browned slightly crisp on both sides.

It's basically a burrito shaped like a diskette. And that's exactly what it tasted like. With that, after a few bites it essentially became one homogenous "Taco Bell something". lol Unlike a dedicated 7-layer dip that you dip crunchy Tortilla chips into, nothing in this crunch wrap was crunchy... nothing!

None of the layered elements really stood on its own either. The worst part of it was that "Red Sauce". It just took the flavor in a whole nother direction. And those red tortilla strips just made it that much more mysterious if you will.

Portion-wise, this thing is HUGE. So big, I could only finish half of it, and had to save that Taco for later.

As a BURRITO, it's excellent. Don't get me wrong, it's tasty and very filling. It just really disappointed me that it had no resemblence in taste and texture to an traditional 7-layer dip.

Next time Taco Bell should just make a 7-Layer Dip exactly the way it is, and sell it in a clear plastic container (so you can see the layers), use shredded cheddar instead of melted Nacho cheese, include olives and sell it with CRISPY tortilla chips to dip in. I'd buy that.

Now I see they're promoting the Extreme Cheese & Beef Quesadilla. How creative.

I miss their Mucho Grande Nachos. That was EXCELLENT.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: New Menu Items

I was never really into Taco Bell, but Diego's makes an awesome Carne Asada Burrito. $7 for a huge burrito packed with meat cant be beat.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
      I was never really into Taco Bell
      I'm not a regular there either, but once in a while it's good, convenient and easy on the wallet. Usually I stick with the Crunchy Taco Supreme.. simply the best.

Another new menu item (not new anymore) was Burger King's Swiss 'N Shroom Burger. It SUCKED. Mostly because whoever was making them had "lead feet" with the mayonnaise spoon. Cough cough. Heart choking. Glug glug.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        I'm a HUGE fan of 7-layer dip, so when I seen the Taco Bell commercial for their 7-Layer Crunch Wrap, I just had to try it.
        Reminds me of the SNL "commercial" for the crunchy taco wrapped in a soft burrito layer, then folded into a pepperoni pizza, then batter-dipped and deep-fried, etc. etc.

Comment

mmMMM MMmmm
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

what is it about taco bell? For a lot of fresh ingredients, why does their food taste so plastic?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              what is it about taco bell? For a lot of fresh ingredients, why does their food taste so plastic?
              In order to keep getting "fresh" ingredients (which refers primarily to the veggies), ones that look and have the mouth-feel of perceived freshness, you get varities of veggies that have been bred to withstand shipping from all around the world, no matter the season. The drawback of such selective agricultural practices means that flavor has lost out to hardiness in the process.

Same reason you can get the most gorgeous looking roses at all times of the year - but they often have little to no scent.

Comment

Anyone try Taco Bell's new Kalua Pork items yet?...

I did. All three. The Kalua Pork Soft Taco ($1.89) and Kalua Pork Quesadilla ($2.99) are pretty darned good! I'd certainly recommend at least trying those two.

The Kalua Pork Stuft Burrito ($3.79) has too much "stuft" Spanish rice though, which overpowers the Kalua pork a bit much.

I'd say all that was missing was Mango or any fruit-based salsa, which the sweet flavor would have complimented the smokey pork better than TB's tangy-spicy taco sauce. Sour creme would have helped too.

Notice the Kalua Pork is supplied by May's, which I've never had before, in and of itself. Based on what I tasted in these things, it's typical commercial liquid smoke flavored oven-roasted stuff. Nothing wrong with that. It works.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh, you know what I've been wanting to try, is those Takoyaki ball things at Shirokiya. The ones they cook in that special cast-iron thing. Seems to be a hit. They've been around a long time in Japan, but only recently found its way here.

I've seen frozen Takoyaki in Marukai, but like most other specialty foods, those gotta' be inferior to the hot, fresh-made stuff.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Eh, Pomai, actually takoyaki's been around for years already. I remember trying the stuff at either Shirokiya or someplace like Daiei. Could also have been Marukai. Sorry, another senior moment. I do remember that it didn't impress me much. Kinda like an unsweetened andagi with a hunk of tako leg in the middle. Even the tako didn't have much taste as that's all it is. A hunk of tako. You'll still be chewing the tako after the bread part is long gone. But that's me. Gotta be something to it for it to be so popular. It just didn't do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                      Eh, Pomai, actually takoyaki's been around for years already. I remember trying the stuff at either Shirokiya or someplace like Daiei. Could also have been Marukai. Sorry, another senior moment. I do remember that it didn't impress me much. Kinda like an unsweetened andagi with a hunk of tako leg in the middle. Even the tako didn't have much taste as that's all it is. A hunk of tako. You'll still be chewing the tako after the bread part is long gone. But that's me. Gotta be something to it for it to be so popular. It just didn't do it for me.
                      No can beat tried-and-true Tako Poke.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        No can beat tried-and-true Tako Poke.
                        unless it's..."wrapped in a soft burrito layer, then folded into a pepperoni pizza, then batter-dipped and deep-fried, etc. etc.."
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                        X