Time to Barbecue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Barbecue!

Oh yes. It's Aloha Friday and a nice three day Memorial Day weekend is upon us. Time to run to the store, stock up on meats, sides and supplies, take out that grill and kick of summer '07!

I notice this week's supermarket ads are full of deals on hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, ribs, steaks..... oh my mouth is watering already!

Charcoal, lump coal, raw wood or propane?

Got any grillin' plans?

sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Time to Barbecue!

Aaahhh! You make me hungry for fresh grilled veggies and portuguese sausage grilled until they split open, just a little koge. But this weekend is full of plans and none of them involve grilling (that I know of)

Comment

Fresh Oysters on the grill! London Broil, and no can forget the jumbo shrimp marinated in the italian dressing!

Whoa! the waistline already bloating up just thinking about it!

Comment

Oooh. Portuguese Sausage and Shrimp marinated in Italian Dressing. Da' grillin' menu already sounds ono!

As for fuel, I'm a Kingsford Charcoal kinda' guy. No propane for me. The inner pyro in me enjoys just standing there and staring at the fire as the coals begin to ash over.

Sometimes when I want a little smokiness and super high heat for steaks, I'll throw on some small Kiawe branches like these over the coals....

Kiawe (gray colored branches on top), Guava (brownish tan color v-shaped branch) and (wet) mesquite chips
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm gonna be at Kailua Beach Park Sat...
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Sometimes when I want a little smokiness and super high heat for steaks, I'll throw on some small Kiawe branches like these over the coals....[/I]
            Course, if you call the kiawe mesquite, you go from free to high falutin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
              I'm gonna be at Kailua Beach Park Sat...
              OK, I'm jealous now...I love it there.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Charcoal, lump coal, raw wood or propane?

Got any grillin' plans?
                Just got invited to barbecue tonight by a friend. In the past he tends to use charcoal, sometimes some kiawe branches are used.

Comment

I think I'll make some cole slaw. I wish I knew how to make the KFC kine.

Comment

I was just watching a Food Network rerun covering the Memphis in May BBQ Cook-off in Memphis, Tennissee, affectionately called the "The Superbowl of Swine".

Pork categories in the competition include Ribs, Shoulder and Whole Hog. There's 230 teams competing for a $23,000 grand prize and the approval of over 100,000 folks in attendance.

Most competitors use custom built grills and smokers using a slow 'n low cooking method. Then there's the dry rub camp and the wet (sauce) camp.

Some of the names of the competing groups are quite clever such as Swine & Dine, Natural Born Grillers and the Butt Lickers.

I seriously think Hawaii should have our own "Great Hawaiian Barbecue Cook-off"... the superbowl of BBQ in the pacific!

Make it a HUGE event held at Kapiolani Park, with contenders including the the major Hotel restaurants, privately owned restaurants, Police vs. Fire Department, Army vs. Marines, local celebrity chefs and everyone else who wants to enter. Categories I envision would include pork ribs, fish, "Huli Huli Chicken", steaks and Hawaii's own unique "Pulehu" category, that would feature the unique bbq style one would present from their favorite tailgate or pupu style BBQ grindz.

If I entered, a name I might consider for my team would be 'Da Kiawe Krew'.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I was just watching a Food Network rerun covering the Memphis in May BBQ Cook-off in Memphis, Tennissee, affectionately called the "The Superbowl of Swine".

Pork categories in the competition include Ribs, Shoulder and Whole Hog. There's 230 teams competing for a $23,000 grand prize and the approval of over 100,000 folks in attendance.

Most competitors use custom built grills and smokers using a slow 'n low cooking method. Then there's the dry rub camp and the wet (sauce) camp.

Some of the names of the competing groups are quite clever such as Swine & Dine, Natural Born Grillers and the Butt Lickers.

I seriously think Hawaii should have our own "Great Hawaiian Barbecue Cook-off"... the superbowl of BBQ in the pacific!

Make it a HUGE event held at Kapiolani Park, with contenders including the the major Hotel restaurants, privately owned restaurants, Police vs. Fire Department, Army vs. Marines, local celebrity chefs and everyone else who wants to enter. Categories I envision would include pork ribs, fish, "Huli Huli Chicken", steaks and Hawaii's own unique "Pulehu" category, that would feature the unique bbq style one would present from their favorite tailgate or pupu style BBQ grindz.

I'm still waiting for the "Tasty Island" cooking show, with your host Pomai on the food network....
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

That is a great idea. We already the CHILI COOK-OFF and there's the POKE competition that Sam Choy's been involved with.

How about the Aloha Stadium parking lot? The tailgating at UH football games can get pretty awesome.

Comment

So we BBQ'd at Kailua Beach. The day was nice and breezy, then late in the afternoon there was a sudden 10 minute downpour. I made a Kalbi sauce steak smoked over some leftover cedar wood chips, it came out great!
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                            So we BBQ'd at Kailua Beach. The day was nice and breezy, then late in the afternoon there was a sudden 10 minute downpour. I made a Kalbi sauce steak smoked over some leftover cedar wood chips, it came out great!
                            That is a novel idea! I never thought of marinating a really good cut of Rib Eye in Kal Bi sauce, but you're on!

We still have half a bottle of the Parks brand? one from Costco. Excellent Kal Bi sauce. That stuff is meeting Mr. Rib Eye on the grill tomorrow! Instead of a baked potato, I going serve 'em wit' one huge pile of Kim Chee. lol
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If you want a really easy "Guava Glaze" for your baby back ribs, simply add guava jelly or jam (like Hawaiian Sun brand) to any basic store-bought barbecue sauce (like Heinz or Hunts). Heat it in a pot on the stove until fully incorporated (add more or less depending how sweet you like it), then baste it on the ribs just before they're done on the grill to sear the edges. Awesome.

I never tried Pineapple jelly doing that, but I bet that would be good too.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X